Forums

Help › Forums

Reading the putt break: Help

Mon, Oct 17 2022 9:50 AM (31 replies)
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2021 7:04 AM

I am equally low as I am high.  So an equal opportunity misser.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2021 7:06 AM

Yiannis1970:

pdiehm:

My issue is understanding how much or how little break to play on putts.  I'm not entirely sure how to figure that out as in that 6-8' range, I'm either high (mostly) or low.  very little in between.  

Hello.

This game is all about references. You say that you are missing many 6-8' putts. If the break is constant, you can try out this:

Have a round in practice mode. Put yourself in a range of 6-8' for your putt. Count the speed of the dots till you come up with an average number (let's say 7 seconds). Try to move the aimer 2 or 3 cups to the side. If the ball goes in, here u go...you have your reference. Distance 8 feet, dot speed 7'', aiming 3 cups. Try always the ding cause the ding is another reference point.

After that, you adjust your aimer accordingly for various speeds till u get a grip on it.

Count dots?  I am not understanding.  Playing on an iPad it’s hard to count dots and what ones do you count?  How do you know what dot to count?  

what happens if you have dots going opposite directions?  How do you count those? 

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2021 8:53 AM

You can't do it on double breaks, only on one sided breaks. Counting the dot means, count how many seconds it takes for a dot to cross a whole grid from one side to another.

I spoke about constant break.

Ipad? What's your ding rate on putts?

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2021 12:45 PM

Yiannis1970:

You can't do it on double breaks, only on one sided breaks. Counting the dot means, count how many seconds it takes for a dot to cross a whole grid from one side to another.

I spoke about constant break.

Ipad? What's your ding rate on putts?

Not good lol.  

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Sat, Jun 19 2021 8:57 AM

Actually I just think I completely suck at putting.  

• tedder13
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:38 AM

Using the classic setting is the closet you can be to the old flash version when your putting off-ding putts for smaller breaks. 

That being said, it seems that as I get used to the scale and get decent at it, the following week it is different for me. Not every week but once in awhile it seems what I get used to changes a little and not for just a game but all games after that point. Possibly WGT tweeks the putting on occasion to keep things fair. When players score a 49 and low 50's on 18 holes you almost have to do something to even things up a little.

Maybe my imagination but I personally believe it does change from time to time...

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2021 3:27 AM

pulling back to this...I am missing low on these shots.  I have been burned so often by the high edge spin out or lip out, that I'm almost afraid to just ram it in (not to mention, you do this on Merion or Oakmont and good luck with the par save that will follow).

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2021 10:18 PM

Curious as to which grid lines you’re basing your final decision on? Missing low typically comes from a putt that has faster moving dots at the beginning of the putt. Therefore if you’re aiming based on the dots in the middle/end of the putt (which may be slower) your putt is already starting off the club face low. 

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Mon, Jul 5 2021 8:40 AM

pdiehm:

That said, when I get a 6-8' putt, there's probably a better than 90% chance I'm going to miss it.  And that's the frustrating part of this.  You can approach on average to 2 yards, but if you can't seal the deal, then it's worthless to approach well

Hi pdiehm,

mobile only player here. Im not a great player or putter, have only been playing this crazy game one year and a few months and so I feel I still have a lot to learn.  

For me it is the uphill putts.  An uphill putt breaking the whole way does not break the same way a downhill putt does. It isn’t half or “just mark it less than you would a downhill”. It is all experience and practice. And I miss those routinely in the same range but usually mine are fast breaking uphill putts  

I had a rough time back in September where nothing was working.  I did the dot counting using Naturali’s method.  dot counting takes so long but it helped me see where the aiming line was laying across the breaks. I don’t use it anymore but it helped me get to a point where I am less frustrated by the 6-8’ uphill breaking putt that grazes the lip or just flat out misses.    

but for me, I prefer a downhill putt most of the time.  Uphill putts just look weird to me and I have learned how to use that to my advantage.

I have one more piece of advice.  Download the Omlet arcade app and follow GoShooterMcGavin.   Dude is an iPad player and plays with no aids.  Just some math in his head for putts. He is fricking amazing to watch. And I have learned a lot just from watching him play, oh and when he is having a good day, he doesn’t miss many putts.   

Just stay positive :) you got this. :) 

RSS