Forums

Help › Forums

TO CATCH A CHEAT

Mon, Jan 24 2022 4:06 PM (116 replies)
  • DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2021 2:43 PM

I'm a long time player from the WGT days. Well make that lllloooonnnnggggg time player (Legend was the top tier!) Having to switch over to the Topgolf game has been a challenge that I've yet to overcome in the 5 1/2 months of playing. If you don't see the differences, I envy you.

But since I like playing the game no matter how different, I play Topgolf. Since I've been playing though, I've become fascinated with their game of "Head to Head".

I've been playing the Topgolf's "Head to Head" competition for 4 months now (February through today) and want to offer my thoughts on the game. 

"Head to Head" is a player against player game for "Coins". These coins have no value "except" to buy APPAREL! Apparel, though, is the key to winning a game of "Head to Head".

The player's are from all tiers from Amateurs to Tour Champions, and green speeds vary across 5 speeds of Tournament, Very Fast, Fast, Standard, and Slow. Until BOTH players are on the green, you don't know the green speed.

In some of  the "rooms" (like CHELSEA where you put up 500 coins each to win 900), the lower tier players play from the easier tees, while the Champs, TL's, and TC's tee off from downtown. In another "room" like CASABLANCA (you put up 10,000 coins each to win 18,000) each player tees off from the same tees.

To get apparel, you have to choose from 5 sponsors. They are TOPGOLF, MAX, FOXWIND, SWING EDGE, and CLAYTON & MILLS. Your apparel are 5 different golf items...CAP, GLOVE, SHOES, SHIRT, PANTS.

I now have a worthy goal that I've set for myself over the next year.

I want to get up to level 10's on all my apparel.

But I've recently run into a problem with cheaters playing the game. But I've figured out how to spot them during a game.

Here is what a Cheater looks like:

1) They usually show up in the Chelsea Room (which is only a single hole). Sometimes they play Casablanca, which is 3 holes for 10,000 coins each.

2) They're always a low tier (HACK, Amateur, Pro, and Tour Pro which helps them from the closer tee)

3) They have no special apparel, (Basic pants, shoes, and shirt. Usually level 1).

4) Their picture is the basic player one

5) They play with starter equipment and hit a starter ball.

6) They putt like a TOUR CHAMPION on a good day sinking 20+ putts on a Tournament speed green.

7) If you say "good luck" they won't answer you.

Whatever program they are using, it keeps their drives straight, irons make the green, and they'll one putt the green no matter what speed.

So you've lost you match and 500 coins, now what?

Put the player on your blocked list.

Report the player to the Topgolf people (on the help part of SETTINGS.)

Yes, I did this and they say they took action. What the "action" is, they won't say, and I don't expect them to.

BUT IF YOU COMPLAIN THAT YOU LOST TO THE CHEATER AND WANT YOUR 900 COINS, TELL THEM THE ROOM YOU WERE PLAYING IN, AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE COINS!

Well this is what I have discovered, so I'm letting all know. Any new ideas, feel free to reply. We ALL want to hear them.

DuFuss McGoo

• Tabarnak777
    168 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2021 4:08 PM

From all the time i played for coins(not as much as you though) i never really spotted a real cheater.

But i mostly played the 2 biggest rooms(besides Monaco) so i can't really talk for other rooms. But in some way, if i'm a cheater and have real success, i wouldn't bother for lower rooms and probably stick with biggest ones.

In fact i didn't catch any cheater at all, flash, no flash, etc. Not that i don't believe in some cheaters existence. I heard form many players that they actually exist, but maybe WGT care way less more about coins than real credits tourneys and stuff.

I believe i have seen some names ''disappear'' from some top leaderboards but i'm still not completely sure.

I know that WGT have some tools to see if players cheat(slow framers for example) but that's the best i know atm.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2021 4:56 AM

From my viewpoint , I see cheaters primarily now in the showdown. In the rookie league , amateurs and pros , being able to score -7 on 9 holes . Or in the final round -11 in 18 holes . Any new player can fluke a shot and chip in for a lucky eagle or birdie but when the showdown is played over three rounds and the last round being 18 holes , these are the ones to call out . The prizes of the coins , credits and balls is what is driving the cheats . Not in my opinion the hacks and amateurs who occasionally win against a legend in Chelsea. 
    being that the showdown could more easily be policed than individual coin rooms , I do think WGT could have a relatively easy task of cleaning these players out.  

• LeftyMcGee7
    449 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2021 7:57 AM

bossbird:

From my viewpoint , I see cheaters primarily now in the showdown. In the rookie league , amateurs and pros , being able to score -7 on 9 holes . Or in the final round -11 in 18 holes . Any new player can fluke a shot and chip in for a lucky eagle or birdie but when the showdown is played over three rounds and the last round being 18 holes , these are the ones to call out . The prizes of the coins , credits and balls is what is driving the cheats . Not in my opinion the hacks and amateurs who occasionally win against a legend in Chelsea. 
    being that the showdown could more easily be policed than individual coin rooms , I do think WGT could have a relatively easy task of cleaning these players out.  

👍

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2021 1:33 PM

DuFussMcGoo:
    Until BOTH players are on the green, you don't know the green speed.

Not a true statement. You can see the green speed once one player has finished on it. It's an advantage on some greens to know the green speed before hit approach. 

So it's handy to be the closest to the green.

hacks and amateurs get really long gimme putts. been too long for me to remember but it might be as much as 5 yards,

also while the visual representation of the hole is the same for everyone. hacks amateurs for sure and probably Pros have a bigger effective hole. you can watch ball path and the ball will go in at least a full ball width outside the hole for hacks and amateurs. 

so yes a reroll or second accounter or  cheater or whatever you want to call them is going to have an advantage while being a low tier.

also fyi the blocked list just keeps them from chatting or messaging you. it will not prevent you from matching them again for a game. it should... but it doesn't.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2021 2:41 PM

Mythanatos:
    also fyi the blocked list just keeps them from chatting or messaging you. it will not prevent you from matching them again for a game. it should... but it doesn't.

Uggh! Just what I needed to hear.

Also, all Topgolf players are identified by their IP number on the SETTINGS page. I would think that an easy way to check out of someone cheats is to find duplicate IP numbers for players.

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2021 2:59 PM

I am here because I like golf, I like the game, and It is fun. I also love the camaraderie, and the many friends I have made around the world.

A cheater only cheats themselves of that oportunity. (recon they have fun cheating? )

Have played a few coin room games, and like everywhere else there some nice folks, as well as a few I don't care to mention.

I don't understand those that won't or don't chat, as well as those who forfeit when down.

Don't care to even try to understand, as I really don't care to know them. 

• BillHawk55
    8 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2021 7:40 AM

Hi Ken

Its not that some of us do not want to talk its  just that with a 45 second clock timer I'm  busy trying to organise my shot and I'm really sorry if that causes offense to anyone. Maybe a 60 second shot timer on the showdowns  would open the doors to more chatting

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2021 4:55 PM

Well said. Thank you for the input.

RSS