Forums

Help › Forums

TO CATCH A CHEAT

Mon, Jan 24 2022 4:06 PM (116 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 6:48 PM

PureGro1:
    I went back to first post and reading all this, I have to ask what your idea is exactly

You see it mostly in the Showdowns. A player will start a new account. Get it up to level 20, pretty quickly and remain a Pro or Tour Pro.  They then rent clubs and play in this showdown.  You will see them at top of leader board.  Check their profile and see they just joined, Jan, 2022, have 3 or 4 ranked rounds, if any, and see the rental clubs on wall activity.

Those are the most obvious and there are many like that. When reported to WGT they are usually removed, if caught quick enough.

EDIT: PureGro, PM me and I will give you a name of one right now on leaderboard in eliminations round. Joined, Jan, 2022, Lvl 20 Amateur, using rental clubs. You can see what a cheater looks like.

Sitting in 28th with a -4.  He will make it to elimination for sure.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 7:29 PM

PureGro1:
    Are you saying people who have started over or have a 2nd account are able to beat you using lesser equipment and balls due to the tee advantage coupled with experience level, and there doing this in coin rooms? 

I win about 60% in the Head to Heads. That's against honest players. I think I drop to 50% against the Hacks and Amateurs. I guess I'm not that good against them.

Or something else is going on.

PureGro1:
    I think a lot of people either play the "one hole" for a friend to keep the daily streak alive, have Wives/GFs/Husbands...etc that also play WGT on same connection.

One hole for a friend to keep the streak alive sounds admirable. So play a single hole or round against the computer that's NOT H2H. 

Wouldn't the friend use the friend's account (the one that is keeping the string alive) be the higher tiered player and NOT the Hack or Ameteur?

PureGro1:
    I think checking Duplicate IPs would catch a lot of fish but most would not be the species you seek.

Respectfully, I think otherwise. But I can only report my thoughts to Topgolf and let them in their wisdom decide.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2022 11:11 PM

pdb1:

Is there the same concern about Tour Champions & Champions dominating the rookie divisions ?

Not the same concern . But is it not worse ? The parity is not present in the rookie division .Rookies don't have a prayer .

Nope. I don't care about TC's and C's dominating the rookie tournaments because they don't. It's a very fair distribution. 

When the final results are in I'll copy the 1st 5 places to review the tiers that won.

My concern are the CHEATERS. Nothing else,

But if this your crusade, I applaud you

I see you have great apparel. Aren't you concerned that the lower tier players cannot compete with you, or your superb clubs, and your terrific apparel?

Also, if we're talking about tournaments, the Rookie tournament costs 10 credits. You and I both play in the Rookie tournament and we give up yardage to the lower tiers. Can they knock it as close to the hole as you and I can? Maybe not, but we've earned our knowledge by years of trial and error.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 2:52 AM

WGTNico:
    Also if you ever feel like you see a cheater in game please send in a ticket to support

I've quite a few problems with this but on the narrow topic being discussed.

Why do players object to others doing this?  I think it's as they believe these players are gaining an unfair advantage and winning prizes that should have gone to "honest players".  I don't necessarily believe these are dishonest players, not everyone reads all of the T + C's on a game site, but they are breaking the rules. 

There were a couple of accounts named earlier in this thread  and they were banned. One was in Du Fuss's league and finished sixth  to Du Fuss's 7th.  That meant that account had resulted in everyone down to 82nd getting a smaller prize.  Traditionally cheats are the ones who get the swag :-).  Du Fuss reported (it's odd which posts have gone) he got the prize for 7th meaning wgt paid out the prize to the multi account and then banned it.  The result of this being the prize stayed at home and everyone from 7th-82nd got the prize from their initial finishing position.

Until wgt take the cheats out before awarding the prizes what is the point in reporting them?

I also think these are easy targets and wgt could and should also target players much further up the food chain, look at the premium tiered etc when they finish.  Maybe answer questions about what the top players are doing and advantages that it looks to some like they have been given.  Even if it's a "sorry maybe that was a bit silly it wont happen again" or "that is allowed" in open forum, not chatting to some chosen individuals, so we all play by the same rules.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 3:17 AM

pdb1:
    Is there the same concern about Tour Champions & Champions dominating the rookie divisions ?

In both the two showdowns before this one I got given +3 in my first round and couldn't recover enough in the 6 holes left to me to qualify. Not willing to spend another 100c both times I then entered rookie in the repechage and got prizes.  This time I went straight into rookie, partly as I reasoned that if I did get a +3 I could still qualify.  A couple of people have told me ways to, probably, get around the +3 (someone quitting before we've started) but I prefer a simple life.  I admit it's also think I'll do better in this division.

As others have said we all play off our own tees in rookie and that's not the case elsewhere so it could be said that the advantage to higher tiered players is in the higher levels. I'd think the big advantage is with the L103+ TM's etc who get both shorter tees and better equipment.  I also wonder about apparel, do mobile players have an advantage (over flash players) there, how long have they been collecting it?  I genuinely don't know.

Anyway I judge the value for me is to enter Rookie so I'm going to at least until I'm convinced the +3 thing is fixed, without any workarounds. 

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 7:51 AM

DuFussMcGoo:

PureGro1:
    Are you saying people who have started over or have a 2nd account are able to beat you using lesser equipment and balls due to the tee advantage coupled with experience level, and there doing this in coin rooms? 

I win about 60% in the Head to Heads. That's against honest players. I think I drop to 50% against the Hacks and Amateurs. I guess I'm not that good against them.

Or something else is going on.

Okay, Can you answer the question I asked? Its not a set up- just trying to grasp what your post is about.

Its your Post that started 6/14 talking about being cheated out of apparel- This doesn't turn to SD cheating until 6 months later.

your answer? to my question was back to head to head and dealing with being beaten by lower tiers. I am honestly confused by all this and thought a straight forward question would help me understand.

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 10:29 AM

DuFussMcGoo:
    My concern are the CHEATERS. Nothing else,

I agree 100%.

However, there is a difference between the cheater and the really good lower tier player.

The Cheater, who most often a Amateur, Pro or Tour Pro, having just started the day of, or days just prior to a Showdown (or credit tournament). The level up to 20 or so, then rent clubs and buy lvl 0 balls and shoot from the shortest tees with fairly decent rentals. No score histories, other than few ranked rounds, maybe. Some have played in a few tournaments, but nothing other than tier restricted. These players are usually mutli-accounts.

There are also players that are very high level, but low tier.  I just got done playing against a level 80 Tour Pro during the final round of the current showdown. Joined 2010 and has played only 91 ranked rounds. His profile suggest that he is not a cheater. At the end of the 3 holes, I was -2 and he was -3.

My point is, there some lower-level players that are just that good and there are cheaters. All you can do is, if you think someone is cheating, check out the profile and, if still feel strongly then send an email to members@worldgolftour.com

I have reported a few from the last showdown and I have confirmed that 2 were suspended.

As for WGT, they should review every member in the top 10 of every tournament and showdown. Like they drug test athletes in certain sports. You may be surprised how, with very little effort, this game could be cleaned up a little or, at least, give the impression that, to WGT, it matters.  IMHO

As for everyone else, report the cheats, but if you want to get to the top of the leader board, you got to beat them anyway so, report them and move on.

EDIT: Also want to add, cheaters tend not to chat...NB, vns, etc...

RSS