Forums

Help › Forums

TO CATCH A CHEAT

Mon, Jan 24 2022 4:06 PM (116 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 3:26 PM

If I remember correctly, banned cheaters (or multi-accounters) would simply pop up using a new moniker.

In fact, it's almost impossible to keep a creative and determined cheat from resurfacing.

ct

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 3:41 PM

SamSpayed:
    Chris, are you suggesting that we should NOT report suspected cheaters to WGT, because it will tie up WGT resources?  🙄

No, that is not what I am saying Scott...

How many "cheaters" have you personally come across in all your playing?  I am going to guess its about the same number I have- I think this thread divulges that many feel like getting beat by what they consider an inferior player is some form of cheating. 

If you call the FD every time you think you smell smoke, you may stop a fire at some point- But your more likely to tie up resources that cause an actual fire to burn out of control.

ct690911:
    In fact, it's almost impossible to keep a creative and determined cheat from resurfacing.

This ^^^^ 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 4:06 PM

pdb1:
    I don't think that is correct . Unless policy has changed in the last few years . I am aware of over a half a dozen accounts that had been banned . The question of cheating in a tournament was never in question . Just that there was evidence of another account . Each of them attempted to contact Member Services to validate their ID . And were ignored .

As far as I know that's not the case and never has been.  Even in this thread, the one in the last Showdown that Du Fuss reported, Du Fuss said the latest account was banned but the original was not.

I can't really debate, as I don't know, these cases you talk about but I would say you're a more trusting person that me and that does you credit.  You talk about these people as if you know them but really you knew whatever they wanted to portray.  Perhaps there were more than two accounts including an earlier one, perhaps it was more than simple multi accounting, I notice the whole CC has been removed (or I can't find it). 

Sorry if I'm wrong but that's always how I've understood it to be.

Maybe some news on SK, odd status and wall message, go and have a look. 

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 4:16 PM

DodgyPutter:
    s far as I know that's not the case and never has been.  Even in this thread, the one in the last Showdown that Du Fuss reported, Du Fuss said the latest account was banned but the original was not.

Similar thread was started when this one was revived. There are discussions about cheaters in showdowns and, after complaints to WGT, where removed.

Multi Accounts for Showdowns & such - World Golf Tour (wgt.com)

It is easy to check whether an account has been removed. In all my cases, where I could tell which was the first, and which was the second account, and both were reported, on the second account was removed.  I am sure it is, and was the same, as to those DuFuss reported.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 4:23 PM

SamSpayed:

DodgyPutter:
    But lets go with it, you're simply wrong that if we report these people wgt will ban them. 

That's not what I said.  What I said was:

SamSpayed:

WGT tries to identify cheaters and remove them.  Our reporting suspected cheaters helps them with that.

Obviously, it is WGT's choice what to do with our reports.

You said "identify cheaters and remove them", I still don't think they do.  I think there was a case of this during this thread and I thought what happened generally was common knowledge.  Seems not, if I'm wrong, and wgt do ban all the accounts of these multi's,  I appologise again to Paul.  Doesn't seem at all ironic you quoting him at me by the way.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:09 PM

PureGro1:
    How many "cheaters" have you personally come across in all your playing?  I am going to guess it's about the same number I have- I think this thread divulges that many feel like getting beat by what they consider an inferior player is some form of cheating. 

FYI: I am talking about obvious instances, where, after reporting, WGT has suspended accounts. I also said it takes place in the Showdowns (and some lower level tier tournaments).  I did not say coin rooms specifically.

Know what I know about Sam, he does not play in the Showdowns. I suspect, possibly, you do not either. Dufuss and I are speaking from experience. Further, if you jump over to the other thread, I referenced above, you will see others have had the same experiences.

It is not a matter of losing and calling sour grapes. I did say there are many high level, low tier, players that are very good. I do not consider them cheats and their profiles wear bear out that they are not.

Do not just write off those that are complaining, from what they have personally experienced.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:14 PM

HamdenPro:
    It is easy to check whether an account has been removed. In all my cases, where I could tell which was the first, and which was the second account, and both were reported, on the second account was removed.

When I report the 2nd account to Topgolf, I don't check the status if the 2nd account was removed. But during the last tournament, I had spotted 2 "2nd" accounts in the tournament, and both were "removed".

Unfortunately, both bad accounts finished in the top 10, and THEN they were removed. This means that these 2 CHEATERS (I mean the original players who do not get removed or suspended) caused 90+ honest players to get less of a reward than they should have.

In this tournament, I will let you know about the 2 "2nd" accounts I reported, and in this case I KNOW who the WGT player is. I will check on them and let you all know. In their case, no names will be mentioned.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO REPORT SUSPECTED 2ND ACCOUNTS TO WGT, THEN DON'T. I WILL CONTINUE.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:16 PM

I think an important piece is missing here and that is, one, an official definition of what cheating is and, two, the standard(s) by which cheaters are identified. Without a standard against which to measure behavior and without a definition of what constitutes the deviations that define a cheater, everyone is targeting cheaters/cheating by their own criteria which can, as pointed out earlier, lead to some serious consequences for the wrongly identified individual(s). It’s a crap shoot of sorts.

I’m too removed from it now, and somebody out there probably knows better, but isn’t it possible for WGT to “write a program” that scans “data” that can spit out a report of what deviates from the defined standard? Like a bunch of “if/then” queries? Back in the day we used to task our IS people with monitoring user internet behaviors and they wrote routines that scanned usage and issued reports for those individuals whose internet activities fell outside defined boundaries. 

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 6:19 PM

Cicero733:
    isn’t it possible for WGT to “write a program” that scans “data” that can spit out a report of what deviates from the defined standard?

I had noticed last June that some of my "wins" were not being recorded (if you look in your "FRIENDS" section up top), Looking closer, I noticed that players who "forfeited" H2H games to me were the wins not added, so I wrote to WGT. Their reply was, they can't fix it, and I got the apparel and the coins didn't I?

So you think they can “write a program”? lol Not me!

RSS