Help › Forums

Under the stars showdown

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 22 2021 10:13 AM (8 replies)
  • bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 7:16 AM

Dont worry everyone I am not here complaining about a glitch !! Lol

i normally play in rookie , and this time thought I would have a go at veteran. 
    I haven’t got through the first cut , even -3 tour champs haven’t , but my question is this ,

has anyone been in this situation and thinks it’s worth paying another 100 cr to have another go at qualifying, or is it really not worth it ? I know the showdown isn’t just about getting value and yes I could win all my matches for the coins and still not get through , any thoughts anyone ?  

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 1:00 PM

I paid up ! 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 1:07 PM

---sorry missed your last post, must have been typing... guess you can ignore the following...

in part possibly due to the glitch - veteran plays just about as competitive as expert - and many expert level players drop down and play veteran because of the glitch.

- I actually like the ball offered in the rookie division better for coin room play than I do the ball offered in veteran, but that is just me...

My guess is, if you don't make the cut - it is likely you would have a better chance recovering the credits spent by playing rookie the next round, rather than risking investing more credits and missing the cut again.

this is not being dismissive of your skill or progress but given the holes we are seeing this qualifying round, you can get some tough winds and or tough pin placements so unless you feel very confident in qualifying and then being able to move forward into the finals - you might find it easier to recover the credits in rookie division.  

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 11:28 PM

el3n1:

---sorry missed your last post, must have been typing... guess you can ignore the following...

in part possibly due to the glitch - veteran plays just about as competitive as expert - and many expert level players drop down and play veteran because of the glitch.

- I actually like the ball offered in the rookie division better for coin room play than I do the ball offered in veteran, but that is just me...

My guess is, if you don't make the cut - it is likely you would have a better chance recovering the credits spent by playing rookie the next round, rather than risking investing more credits and missing the cut again.

this is not being dismissive of your skill or progress but given the holes we are seeing this qualifying round, you can get some tough winds and or tough pin placements so unless you feel very confident in qualifying and then being able to move forward into the finals - you might find it easier to recover the credits in rookie division.  

Thanks for your reply , I see you at the top of my leaderboard , well played. I think I will get through the elimination round , who knows thereafter! The reason I changed up , is that I don’t like the tm ball , so if this is too hard a division for me , I will probably stop playing. Good luck to yourself , I expect you will finish near the top ! Lesley 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2021 8:01 AM

bossbird:
    The reason I changed up , is that I don’t like the tm ball

I think you may play a similar apparel setup to myself.  If you want to chat drop me a friend invite.  I think I noticed you felt at times getting unwanted invites so I won't initiate one and leave that up to you...

If you are use to a low spinning ball - the extra spin will cause the L47 to get knocked down a little into headwinds so it will definitely play different than you are use to with a lower spinning ball... but it still bites well hitting into the greens even with default irons.  Probably plays closer to the L51 Volvik ball which has also been given out as a promotional ball at times.  

My observation is those playing lower spinning balls, tend to land short and release the ball to the hole... those who prefer higher spinning balls, tend to go at spots on locations around the hole to stick landings  - either ball or approach is fine but reflect different styles of play.

Either way, good luck to you as well.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2021 8:21 AM

Thanks I appreciate your advice and offer of chat. I don’t think I can bring anything to the table in respect of becoming a friend , but would like to take you up on your offer if or when I need to ask advice. I am currently going through a spell of playing quite poorly , the difference from legend to tour legend has been immense for me , especially putting , so I think I have things I need to work out myself , and only me practicing will do that . Best , Lesley

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2021 3:03 PM

no worries..

bossbird:
    I am currently going through a spell of playing quite poorly

we all do... it is part of how the game is designed I think... the ebb and flow or changing tiers and making small adjustments.

coin games should remain normal because you don't see the C13 or C14 greens there but if you dabble with the TL events or WGT free weeklies you will start to see those green speeds and it takes time to adjust too.  

you will get there!

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2021 9:49 AM

I have decided to try the cally level 33 ball to give me a bit more spin , and a bit less distance for my everyday ball . For the money they seem good , and when I played a club tourney with each ball , my normal level 39 and then the new level 33 , I shaved four strokes , so it’s worth a go . I know my form varies enormously so it could just be coincidence! 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2021 10:13 AM

Well -9 hasn’t even seen it through to last round in veteran, I got -8 , so that’s it for me in veteran group ! 

RSS