Forums

Help › Forums

Hard tees

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 17 2021 1:21 PM (2 replies)
  • TOPMIXER11
    6 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2021 12:16 AM

Hi I tried playing hard tees on practice ,playing the course no problem but jeez ending up maybe 6 yards from pin on 12 greens  40 50 rough and trying all types of shot or chip pitch punch flop  ,virtually found it impossible to get near cup without a ten mile role . How is it done  

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2021 1:36 AM

From the rough, only the best clubs + the best balls will provide you with any backspin to avoid a significant roll.

TOPMIXER11:
    How is it done
    Avoid the rough, and try some better balls than those B-ES. Like Tour-SD or L33 Callaways.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2021 1:21 PM

TOPMIXER11:

Hi I tried playing hard tees on practice ,playing the course no problem but jeez ending up maybe 6 yards from pin on 12 greens  40 50 rough and trying all types of shot or chip pitch punch flop  ,virtually found it impossible to get near cup without a ten mile role . How is it done  

The slope of the green between you and the pin, and your ball's spin rating, will determine how much your ball will roll out of 40-50 greenside rough.  In general this is what I'd suggest:

- If the pin is significantly downhill or uphill, do a flop.  If uphill, add about 4 yds to your normal flop distance.  If downhill, add nothing.

- If the pin is about level, do a pitch.  Hit it for the exact distance to the pin.  It will travel about 50% in the air and roll the other 50%.

- If your ball's spin rating is 2.0 or less, subtract 1-2 yds from your shot distance to account for the extra rollout.  

- All shots out of 40-50 rough should be hit with 100% backspin.

Try that to start with, and make adjustments as needed.

Bear in mind that there are some positions from which you just won't be able to stop the ball from rolling no matter what you do.

RSS