Forums

Help › Forums

Contest for 5 Sleeves: Diamond Day At The Beach 18

Wed, Jun 2 2021 10:14 PM (43 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 12:46 AM

JDGHOST:

Well if that's the case and Mags ALREADY had the Diamond award and the number was changed on said award due to his "recent 44"  on the best of Par 3's

WELL...I CALL

New party member! Tags: movie comedy wedding crashers incorrect youre wrong  erroneous erroneous on both counts | Wedding crashers movie, Giphy, Wedding  crashers

LMAO Well, I guess you'll have to achieve it in two separate sessions.

1) First, win the Diamond award on a regular course.

2) Then create a CC tourney using Best of Bandon Par 3 under easiest conditions possible and try to maximize the number of bunker shots while scoring 75 or lower.

It's always easy to say... 

KenBTEXAS:
    how are you able to tell when you get more than 25 ??

The number is shown on your profile page as below.

• KenBTEXAS
    281 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 1:11 AM

got it THANKS  :O

• Dharla
    316 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 1:33 AM

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 6:07 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

LMAO Well, I guess you'll have to achieve it in two separate sessions.

1) First, win the Diamond award on a regular course.

2) Then create a CC tourney using Best of Bandon Par 3 under easiest conditions possible and try to maximize the number of bunker shots while scoring 75 or lower.

I think if you plot a course right (probably Pebble or Wolf) that you can get 40+ saves on a regular course. My score of 74 yesterday with 30 sand saves at Wolf included 5 two putts. And I only attempted and executed 1 "bunker birdie". 

I have been struggling with accuracy so I played the round very conservative, making sure I got to 30.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 8:24 AM

For anyone that's interested in the nuts and bolts of this challenge, the equation is a simple one:

Every hole, whatever the course, would ordinarily require a drive and a putt, which would be 36 shots. This leaves 39 shots to play with, which could all be from the sand. However, every time you holeout from off the green, or max out in the sand, you are saving one of those putts thereby increasing the number of sand shots you can play.

The choice of a par 3 course is an obvious one, because you get to max out 5 times, play 4 other bunker shots, and score 9 twos for 75 shots with 44 out of the sand. Any holeout gives you a chance to surpass 44.

Is 40 possible on a regular course? Yes. Maxing out in the sand once gets you to +6. At Kiawah, where there is sand down the side of every hole as far as I can remember, you only have to play the other 17 holes in -3 to get back to 75 (but don't miss that sand, and don't miss any putts!). If the fairway bunkers at Bethpage are all 20/25, that's probably manageable too. You'd only have to play the other 17 holes in -1. At Wolf there must be enough birdie and eagle chances to shoot -3 for 17 whilst plotting your way around the bunkers.

Is 41 possible on a regular course? Hmmm. Without a lucky holeout, 2 sand max outs gets you to +12, so you'd have to play the other 16 holes at Wolf or Kia in -9 (or BPB in -7) with no missed sand or putts. Seems plausible, but hard.

42 on a regular course seems unlikely because that would require +18 from sand max outs alone and only 15 holes to recover 13 or 15 shots.

I think the best challenges would be to beat 44 sand shots on a par 3 course, or shoot 41 sand shots on a regular course (for which I'd recommend Kia off the red tees).

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 10:02 AM

Turns out I was being overly pessimistic. I had a go at Kiawah, and managed 41 sand shots out of 75 with my first try. Just one drive was too ambitious, aiming for a small bunker over 300 yards away and missing by a couple of feet. So 42 is definitely out there on a regular course.

• amateur4sure
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 11:42 AM

Oi Dodgy Magneto Lets see the video evidence of this lol

I`ve seen your putting so You must have holed out a lot Bwahahah 

You know I can`t resist C lmao

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 11:45 AM

You could just click on the link!

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 12:04 PM

fmagnets:

You could just click on the link!

That is an amazing answer to the challenge.

I think had you not already had the award and big number showing, it would not have counted though. Much of the sand at Kiawah does not count as a "bunker" shot and would not apply to the challenge. At least I know it didn't use to count.

Perhaps someone that still has a low number for their award could verify this.

I only bring this up as a "heads up" to those trying to earn their diamond.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 12:53 PM

The diamond award is for shots from the sand, not bunker shots, so I think it would count. Would be useful  if someone without the award could verify it though. Might not count towards Icon's challenge in any case, as he has labelled his challenge "25 bunker shots".

RSS