Forums

Help › Forums

3W dilemma - ST200 L48, Mavrik L51 or TM SIM L41?

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 18 2021 12:36 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 1:23 AM

alosso:

That's contrary to my experience.

Yeah I know. It's weird to me as well. But the interesting fact is that I win most of my tiebreakers after coin games if it comes to using the wedges... Yes, they roll more but somehow I apparently managed to get the hang of it. (This morning I won a tiebreaker with the Starter PW within 1 meter from the hole - less than 3 feet for the non-metric guys. :) )

Buuuut... I just turned L43 and I was offered a TaylorMade PM Grind 52° to rent! :)) So I'm about to start testing it as much as I can. My only fear is that in case I'm starting to like it and decide to buy (1166 credits now after rental) I won't be able to save enough for the Mizuno that becomes available at L48...

But you said I'm going to need the 60° and 64° wedges more, right? (They'll be available for me on my next two leveling-up.)

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 3:56 PM

JayPhix:

Which one would you guys choose in my place?

Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts.

Hi Jay,

Some very good advice already given above.  In my CC Forum, I've put together a post called A Guide to WGT 3 Woods that discusses the 3W's you're considering, among others. You are welcome to join our country club (Mostly Harmless) and check it out.  

I'm making this offer to you because I see that you recently joined a CC where everyone is a Recruit and the owner has not played since 2015.  Being a member of a more active club (and making some friends) might make your WGT experience more enjoyable.

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2021 2:29 AM

(Moderation check...) - Yes, it's still on. :(

- Sorry, SamSpayed, I have already responded to your message, now you just need to wait 24-36-48 hours to be actually able to see it... That's very annoying. :( Why don't they just simply rely on the 'Report Abuse' function if they are still concerned about what I'm posting on forum?

Btw, All, in the meantime I reached L44 and rented out the Cally PM Grind 56° wedge. It's pretty comfortable, performing well - I still don't feel though it's a real gamechanger for me.

Would you recommend buying it (or its 60° counterpart on the next level) or is it worth waiting for the PM Grind 19s that come available around Lvl66-68?
    For a 
    64° wedge it seems I'll need to wait much-much longer...

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2021 1:15 AM

SamSpayed:
    You are welcome to join our country club (Mostly Harmless) and check it out.  

Thank you very much for your kind invitation, Sam! :) I think I will pay you a visit. I joined Budapest Highland for two reasons: to meet fellow Hungarians (there's hardly any active) and becuse it's a court I have played on a few times before, it's very close to my place.

(It's funny btw because my status on my profile says "Mostly harmless" :))). I'm a big Douglas Adams fan.)

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2021 2:08 AM

JayPhix:
    But the interesting fact is that I win most of my tiebreakers after coin games if it comes to using the wedges...
    Blessed are you!!

JayPhix:
    I just turned L43 and I was offered a TaylorMade PM Grind 52° to rent!
    NOPE!

These are expensive, and you need the short wedges more, including a 64°! Common wisdom calls for three wedges, spread equally below the "final" choice of irons. 50 yds - 75 yds - 100 yds do a good job, as well as 60 - 80 - 100.

You'd have to drop the Hybrid for the third one...

Unfortunately, there are quite a few sets missing the shortest wedges, and, invariably, they propose the longer wedges first.

The TMs of L39 fit better, until you may exchange them for some L80+ wedges!

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2021 9:27 AM

JayPhix:
    Thank you very much for your kind invitation, Sam! :) I think I will pay you a visit.

Excellent.  I sent you an invite to our CC.  You should see it at the bottom of your screen in the game (might be a green or orange dot above your Friends list).  If you don't see it, let me know.  You might need to leave your current CC in order to accept the invite.

I concur with Alosso about the wedges being important, especially the 64° wedge.  There is also an extensive thread in our CC forum about wedges.  Check it out!

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 10:37 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a (surprise) winner! :)

Today, turning to L46, I was offered two Max clubs for rent - that made me scratching my head one more time, both being very tempting: the Max Meter 9.5 Driver and the Max Meter 3 Fairway Wood.

So first I needed to decide which one to rent and test... Finally I dropped the Driver because I think I already have in mind which Driver I'd like to buy soon: the TaylorMade SIM with better attributes and much more distance will be available to me at L55. I figured that even if I liked the Max Driver now, I would be forced to exchange it anyway soon due to its 255 distance while TM SIM (277y) could hopefully serve longer in my bag. Do I see it right?

So I made a rent on the Meter 3Wood and, man, it's a match for me! :) Already in the beginning of this thread I highlighted that - being a mobile player - meter speed does mean a lot to my game and the 4.5 meter of this club seems to suit my needs. Its performance is very solid - if I don't make big mistakes on the swing the outcome is quite reliable.

I bought it right after the rental period. :) Looking forward to test it more.

I am still going to rent the Mizuno at L48 for sure because I'm curious if that 5 pt Forgiveness is a game changer or not. However, I highly doubt I will find it three times better than the Max 3WD, considering the price of the two... (Does Trajectory mean a lot in the performance of a fairway wood?)

Max Meter 3 vs. Mizuno ST200

Anyway, in worst case scenario I made a ~300cr rental on the Max club if I happen to like the Mizuno that better.

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 10:41 AM

Oh and by the way: a few levels earlier I also made a purchase on the 60° PM Grind wedge! :) So in parallel I'm improving my wedges, too. ;)

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2021 12:36 PM

JayPhix:
    I think I already have in mind which Driver I'd like to buy soon: the TaylorMade SIM with better attributes and much more distance will be available to me at L55.

Jay, that TM L55 driver is excellent.  You will be very happy with it, and its 4.5 meter speed will match very nicely with your MAX 3W.

• PAGES
RSS