Forums

Help › Forums

3W dilemma - ST200 L48, Mavrik L51 or TM SIM L41?

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 18 2021 12:36 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2021 3:11 AM

Dear WGT Community,

newby here’s seeking for advice.

Considering the many useful tips found in different threads here I’m considering buying my first club. :) I’m planning to equip a 3 Wood that would hopefully be able to replace my Starter driver till I reach higher levels.

As I just turned L41 I was offered a rent on TM SIM L41 which I took advantage of. I have tested it on 3 courses so far and my initial experiences are quite great. Despite its somewhat higher meter speed – something I am always concerned about, being a mobile player and not a true expert in timing the dings –, (3.5 versus 4.5 of both the Starter Driver and Starter 3W) I was still remarkably close to dings on most of my practice shots. And even when I missed it the flight path was still a lot closer to the imagined compared to the Starter Driver’s. I noticed no significant difference in comfort and precision when shooting from tee or from the fairway.

So, all in all, I think it would greatly help improving my initial shots.

BUT! There are also a couple of tempting offers coming up in the foreseeable future at L48 and L51. I’m referring to Mizuno’s ST200 L48 and Cally Mavrik Sub Zero L51.

Here are the basic stats: (meter speed; forgiveness; precision; spin; avg distance)

TM SIM: 3.5 - 4,5 - 3.5 - 1 - 232

ST200: 4 - 5 - 3.8 - 1 - 235

Mavrik Sub Zero: 4.4 - 4 - 3.5 - 1 - 235

(Full prices are 1025, 1600 and 1225, respectively.)

Which one would you guys choose in my place?

Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 11:19 AM

On paper the ST200 wins on every stat except meter speed but 4 vs 4.4 isn't that big of a difference, You just have to decide  if the smallish increase in the other stats is worth an extra 375 credits.

Those increase are 1 on forgiveness 0.3 in precision. One thing to consider is that forgiveness only comes into play if you miss the ding, if you hit the ding often then forgiveness is a moot point. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 11:59 AM

JayPhix:
    being a mobile player and not a true expert in timing the dings

I started out essentially playing mobile myself and some of the advice I read back then seemed to come mostly from flash players, who may have found it easier to adjust to faster meter speeds with a larger monitor and a mouse... it is possible even mobile players using larger tablets find timing the meter easier than someone using a phone.

But, I found the meter speed to be fairly quick and timing that when testing faster meter clubs was harder for me... so I worked out finding or using the slowest meter clubs I could and trying to have consistency throughout my bag from wedges to driver as close as possible.  I had to make some compromises at times, but trying to have consistent meter speeds can also help your timing.

as a mobile player, to buy a little more time and decision making - you could try some of the coin rental club sets.  they are not going to be as great as buying clubs, but they can have slight improvements over starter gear.  I used the green and blue sets until I unlocked the L51 3wd you discuss and I was happy with it until replacing it later.  It also game me a little longer to watch 2 credit videos to save up the credits. 

good luck and hope any advice you get helps.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2021 1:45 PM

JayPhix:
    Which one would you guys choose in my place?
    As a first buy, I'd propose the L39ish wedges which you passed recently. Take two short ones (64°, 60°) and enjoy a tremendous upgrade in the short game! (they give you flop shots and better performance on any other shot type!)

Any 3WD will also work as a tremendous driver - follow the other hints, as levels come easy at this stage!

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 4:54 AM

Thanks very much, alosso! Yes, I've read the many 'wedges first!'-advices along the way that were very helpful, especially with the small details. But I realized that my short game isn't that bad (far from being good but kinda okay at my level) even with the stock wedges. It is in fact the lack of distance available that makes me ending up somewhat short to the green rather frequently, from there I'm forced to use my wedges anyway, but those shots tend to be accurate enough to guarantee me a one-putt.
    That's why I'm thinking about reversing the purchase order, improving the distance and hanging on to the stock wedges a little longer. Of course, the 3 Wood will serve double duty in my bag to a level where I can afford one of the really good Drivers.

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 5:07 AM

Hi el3n1, really appreciating your feedback. It's good to know it's not only about me being lame but timing the ding perfectly is somewhat challenging on mobile for others, too. :))

el3n1:

I unlocked the L51 3wd you discuss and I was happy with it until replacing it later.  

Ok, so you've got first-hand experience with one of the clubs I'm eyeing with! Haven't you rented the Mizuno by any chance during free rental? (Probably not, otherwise you would have mentioned it, LOL.)

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 5:15 AM

(For how long the keep moderating my posts...? :) I thought it's only for the first one. :) So, sorry guys for the late responses but it's because they are still pending.)

FYI, I missed the rental discount on the TaylorMade wood, I wasn't sure if it's two days or until the next leveling-up, but no - it's only 24hrs. Now I'm going to wait and rent the Mizuno next week when I reach L48 and see how it performs. I thing that extra Forgiveness would help me transforming my tee and fairway shots much more "ding-like"... ;)

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 8:43 AM

JayPhix:
    Haven't you rented the Mizuno by any chance during free rental? (Probably not, otherwise you would have mentioned it, LOL.)

I am sorry, I did in fact forget to rent both the upper and mid range Mizuno 3wd to compare them to clubs I have and have played before.  The Mizuno options were introduced relatively recently.

If the meter speed is comfortable for you and the extra credits are not an issue, then it looks like a pretty good club as well.  I just had not have first hand experience with it.  Since we just had a free rental over the Masters weekend, I can't remember when the next one will come along. 

The key is.. you are thinking ahead and trying to plan rather than just buying the first club upgrade that comes along.  By doing so, you will save some credits and upgrade less often than what others may have done.  

I notice you found the coin rental clubs, I enjoyed using them until I unlocked the clubs I was hoping to get and saving up credits for them.  If you want to see what the specs are I worked on a chart awhile back for a few of the introductory level sets.  That is provided you have enough coins to obtain them.  When starting out, it can be more challenging to win coins with starter clubs, but you are also getting coins for "level up bonuses" and I needed those when I was starting out.  

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 11:02 AM

JayPhix:
    I realized that my short game isn't that bad (far from being good but kinda okay at my level) even with the stock wedges.
    That's contrary to my experience.

Starter wedges play low and w/o back spin, letting the ball roll forever. They execute only down to 75%(?), and any of the "advanced" shot types, flop, pitch, chip, has a mighty bad performance.

But, mileage varies - enjoy YOUR game!

• JayPhix
    12 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2021 1:12 AM

el3n1:

I notice you found the coin rental clubs, 

Well, unintentionally... :-/ I knew about the option of course but currently I'm not interested in Drivers. So I only wanted to check the stats of the Coin Driver offered and, BANG, I have already rented it. :) (If I only knew about your chart before!)

Btw, I checked the Driver only because the 3 other wedges I was offered were already out of the current selection, their names were not familiar to me from the Pro Shop. Therefore, when I hit 'Rent' it only gave me an error message [Cancel/Retry] but no matter what those clubs were not possible to rent.
    Have you ever had the same experience? Is it a known bug? Should I report it? (For sure I happened to meet old, unavailable equipment offered for rental before.)

Anyway, I'm driving away happily with this Coin stuff in the next 6 days, it's nothing special. Does its job.

• PAGES
RSS