Forums

Help › Forums

For WORLD CUP....2022.

Thu, Jan 27 2022 8:32 AM (31 replies)
  • jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2022 7:00 PM

Chiming in a little late, and I know the suggested change is not happening this year, but:

1.  I do not agree with it for match play at all.  Part of match play strategy is to know when to be cautious and when to go for broke.  It is a given in real golf that how much one loses or wins by in match play does not matter, and this is supposed to be a golf simulation.

(Even early, 245 yds out on Congressional #6 with a 12 mph wind into me and a 2 hole lead, I lay up.  Take the birdie, don't need to risk the pond.  But, if I'm 2 down and my opponent lays up, I might go for the green.)

2.  I doubt it would work in the stroke play rounds.  In theory, if everyone finished each round all the time, it could.  But if Player A is leading Player B by 4 strokes with 3 to go and someone disconnects, what then?  B probably does not want to re-start the B9 to play the last 3 holes, and A is probably happy to take the cc.  How does that get scored?  I could probably think of other examples.

Tom.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2022 8:32 AM

Thank you for your input Tom. I know it's a theoretical discussion now but nevertheless it's always nice to discuss in a proper manner.

1. As for the first point, the strategy has nothing to do with the point system, any point system. Of course i 'll try to risk a shot if i am 2 down. In any given point system, i will try always my best, sometimes playing safe and other times risking shots.

2. As for No2, the problems of disconnection are there with rain or shine. In your example, even with the current point system, if the game goes down, the problem still remains how the players will deal with this awkward situation.

RSS