Forums

Help › Forums

New irons

Sat, May 8 2021 6:04 AM (6 replies)
  • Digger5560
    40 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2021 3:41 AM

Hi guys please can you help me choose a new set of irons ,, I'm level 97 & just concerned about the club speed when using the standard ball . At the moment I'm using the standard irons & I can't control the ding and find it very hard to give anyone a game , I have a problem with my hands shaking so I need to now if the new irons would help . I know I can use a better ball Callaway which does really help , many thanks Dave

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2021 10:27 AM

There's an equipment comparison spreadsheet HERE if that's any help Dave.

And I wouldn't obsess over hitting the 'ding' if I were you. Missing it is a lot easier, so aim to miss it on the side the wind is coming from.

• Digger5560
    40 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2021 2:31 PM

Cheers Scott I'll check that out now & missing the ding on the side the wind is coming from makes sense .

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2021 10:39 PM

Starter clubs are the best solution, at least for a slow meter with Starter balls. For a Master like you, their performance and lengths are crappy though. That's the "price" you pay for playing basically for free.

With custom clubs, you might have to choose a slow custom ball. There are some unexpensive "WGT GI..." balls fitting in,. One basic cost preview is ten nine hole rounds per sleeve.

Have fun!

• Digger5560
    40 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2021 3:38 AM

Hi Alosso I play with the starter irons and I'm surprised that you say they should give me a slow meter speed as I find that it really his unplayable, I wounder if I have a nother problem , many thanks

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, May 7 2021 5:20 PM

Digger5560:
    I play with the starter irons and I'm surprised that you say they should give me a slow meter speed as I find that it really his unplayable, I wounder if I have a nother problem

Your starter irons have a meter speed of 4.5, which is the slowest in the game.  But your starter ball has a meter speed of 0.0 which is the fastest in the game.  That's why you're finding it unplayable.  

Try using a slower meter ball.  I see that you purchased a couple sleeves of Callaway balls last month - one with a 2.5 meter speed and one with a 3.5 meter speed.  Did either of those balls help?

• Digger5560
    40 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2021 6:04 AM

Yes they helped a lot ,now I understand that the starter ball being zero speed explains everything. 👍 Great help SamSpayed 

RSS