Forums

Help › Forums

VUSO Torrey Pines Qualifier

Wed, Jun 30 2021 4:35 PM (85 replies)
  • SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2021 11:24 PM

Yes.....I have been a Member of approx. (6) WGT Country Clubs in the past.  I recall that (3) of those CC's were TOP Ranked Country Clubs......I think 2 of them had ZERO players Tour Legend in the Club.....so, some pretty stiff competition.

I played BOTH Ranked Round CC Tournaments and CTTH Country Club Tournaments....and have Won just over 1,000 Country Club Tournaments.

I'm still having "issues" with putting well on "Championship Speed Greens".  Today, I played the TORREY PINES 18 Hole Course after many tries.....but, this time, I played with a FREE WGT BALL.....Scored a 73.  I have a Level 15 Putter. I'm thinking that the HIGH LEVEL Putters.....Levels 95 to 102 have "distance markings on the Meters".....My Putter doesn't. So, I end up "guessing" on distance to the Holes many times....and basing those distances on "experience".

So, I think maybe it's sort of a waste of money to buy EXPENSIVE BALLS.....because today on TORRY PINES.....using the FREE WGT BALLS, I had no problems reaching the Greens quickly.....it was my PUTTING that kept me from scoring LOWER.

But, it's fine.  I never expected to QUALIFY for the TORRY PINES Tournament anyway....it's just a fun course to play.  My GOAL was to reach the "Tour Champion Tier"....and anything beyond that was just "icing on the cake".  

I wish ALL of those players who DO qualify for TORRY PINES....The BEST OF LUCK!

Jim

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 3:46 AM

SoCalJim23:
    I'm still having "issues" with putting well on "Championship Speed Greens".  Today, I played the TORREY PINES 18 Hole Course after many tries.....but, this time, I played with a FREE WGT BALL.....Scored a 73.  I have a Level 15 Putter. I'm thinking that the HIGH LEVEL Putters.....Levels 95 to 102 have "distance markings on the Meters".....My Putter doesn't. So, I end up "guessing" on distance to the Holes many times....and basing those distances on "experience".

No the higher level putters do not have extra markings, You only get the extra markings if you buy Putter Pal or are a member of a level 2 CC and get it free, 

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 7:43 AM

I'm a little slow with this Shout out & congratulations to Simon The Beatle for becoming only the 6th player out of thousands and thousands of rounds played to break 54!

Although some have disagreed with my assessment of this course, I stand by my thinking that from the long tees and with champ greens and medium winds, 54 is a perfect score unless aided by a little luck (or at least good fortune with the winds). 

I would even go farther and say that the AMAZING 51 posted by Darin will stand as the record low on this course (with these conditions) for years to come. Only 5 other players have even come within 2 strokes.

A score of 56 is currently tied for 90th place and sure to get in to the VUSO. 215 players are currently tied with this score. There are still only 29 players that have broke 55, leaving 60 players tied with a score of 55.

This course with lack of eagle opportunities is proving to be every bit as difficult as Erin Hills was. Although Erin Hills VUSO qualifier played the first par 5 from a short tee allowing for an "unaided" eagle opportunity.

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 2:08 PM

I remember when WGT used to sell the PUTTER PAL in their PRO SHOP.

So, I'm to understand......IF you are NOT a member of a Country Club, you just won't have the "advantage" of having a PUTTER PAL?

Believe me, there is a HUGE advantage in having that PUTTER PAL.......Without it, I find myself "guessing" on putting distances.....even though I do know all of the various "putting green speeds".

I wonder just how well some of the players in the TOP 50 plus on the TORRY PINES Leaderboard would be there IF they didn't have the advantage of the PUTTER PAL.  Just wondering.

And, WHY doesn't WGT sell the PUTTER PAL in their PRO SHOP like they used to?  I would buy it.  I definitely believe it would help me putt better.

Jim

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 3:03 PM

SoCalJim23:

So, I'm to understand......IF you are NOT a member of a Country Club, you just won't have the "advantage" of having a PUTTER PAL?

Believe me, there is a HUGE advantage in having that PUTTER PAL.......Without it, I find myself "guessing" on putting distances.....even though I do know all of the various "putting green speeds".

I wonder just how well some of the players in the TOP 50 plus on the TORRY PINES Leaderboard would be there IF they didn't have the advantage of the PUTTER PAL.  Just wondering.

And, WHY doesn't WGT sell the PUTTER PAL in their PRO SHOP like they used to?  I would buy it.  I definitely believe it would help me putt better.

Jim

Ummm still available in the pro shop?

WGT Putter Pal

Starting at 10 Credits
  • JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 3:07 PM

UMMM ...Still available in pro shop??

WGT Putter Pal

Starting at 10 Credits

Fine tune your putting
  • sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 3:51 PM

SoCalJim23:

Jim

There are several top players that don't use Putter Pal. LeHew and Irishking are two I can think of off the top of my head. Fmagnets didn't use one for years. Might still not.

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2021 5:03 PM

Oh, I'm sure you are CORRECT about many TOP players not using the PUTTER PAL.

Though, I did watch some of FMAGNET's Youtube Play......and I could see he was using the PUTTER PAL (at least on some of those videos of his replays and games).....BUT, WOW....that guy is one of the most Amazingly talented players I've seen here on WGT.

I see he shot a 55, I think on TORRY PINES.....he's shown as #60 on the Leaderboard (in a large group with the same score).  I wouldn't want to go up against him.....LOL.

Jim

RSS