Help › Forums

VUSO Torrey Pines Qualifier

Wed, Jun 30 2021 4:35 PM (85 replies)
  • BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 8:16 AM

Dharla:

BPeterson8256:

I know it is early, but (out of boredom today) thought it would be fun to start speculation on the cutline. We are just over 1 day into the tournament with almost 60 days left to qualify. 

As of now, it takes a 61 (-11) just to be on the first 5 pages of the leaderboard.

The cutline is at 59 (-13), but I think that is unlikely to hold for another 24 hours.

My initial thoughts after my first time playing it was that 56 would be good and possibly 57 might make it. Today as I look at the scores, I don't think 57 has much of a chance. I think 55 is solid in, and 56 is probable.

What does this mean?

"the top 156 scores (plus ties) from the qualifier will advance to the next round"

That was just me guessing that by the end of June the cutline will be the score of 56. I still think scores of 56 will make the cut, but it will be close.

Yes, 156th place plus ties will make the cut.

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 8:18 AM

JDGHOST:

fobby1980:
    3rd hole, 194 yards with a 38ft drop. According to normal calculations the play-to distance should be 181 right? Wrong! After several tries, I settled on 171 as the actual distance. If anyone has any other insight it’d be great. 

That hole is WAY off !!! I have the final "REAL MADRID" number even less than you lol

Me too...:)

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2021 1:37 PM

Yiannis1970:

Me too...:)

Ha Ha good one Yan!!!  I see what you did there very shrewd...😂

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2021 3:20 PM

WGT's TOREY PINES TOURNAMENT

Today, May 16, 2021......I see the #1 Player on the Leaderboard shot a 51. Pretty amazing.  I'll never touch that.....Ha!

A little perspective.  How does WGT Golf really compare with REAL GOLF?  Well, obviously, here on WGT, we don't have to physically hit the balls and in real golf, there are no "putting grids" to help us with our putting.

The LOWEST 18 Hole Score ever (according to The Guiness World of Records) was hit by Rhein Gibson @ the River Oaks Golf Club in Edmond, Oklahoma.  He shot a 55 (-16).  He actually barely missed a chip shot @ Hole #18, which would have give him a score of 54. 

Notice that the NAME of that Golfer with the lowest Score of all time is NOT Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklas.  

Doing a little reserach on Tiger Woods.  Tiger Wood's Lowest professional 18 Hole Score was a 61 in 1999.  Tiger Wood's Highest professional 18 Hole Score was a 85 in 2015.

Sort of looks like if you're going to make this Torrey Pines qualifying round....you'll need to hit ONLY Birdies and Eagles (no Pars or Bogues).....which, I think we all know in the real World is just NOT possible......at least not so far.

GOOD LUCK to all.

• Tabarnak777
    166 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2021 6:16 PM

If 56 is the mark then you can have 2 pars with no eagles and still make the cut.

Courses in real life have been extended through time. Maybe we could see more insane scores from best players on ancient and lower distances.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2021 7:43 AM

2 full weeks in and the cutline is still 57 as tie for 139th place. Will the 57's hold on another week?

There are still only 4 players below 54. My guess is that when the qualifier is over, that number will still be in single digits. Will anyone else be able to break 53? With only one score below 53 out of thousands and thousands of rounds played, it is showing how spectacular it is to really go low on this course. (really low by WGT standards)

At this point there are 21 players below 55.

There are 62 players below 56, making it look like 56 is solid to make the cut.

And on a personal note... WHEW... I finally was able to get down to 56. Although it took some luck. A hole out on 1 got my round started. This course does not play easy for me, as the weakest part of my game (long irons) comes into play too frequently.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, May 24 2021 10:52 AM

Useless trivia:

24 days into the VUSO Qualifier with 37 days remaining.

4 players better than 54 still

22 players @ 54 or better

Cutline is still @ 57 with 247 players @ 57 or better, but with 150 players @ 56 or better, that is sure to drop soon.

It still looks like 56 is solid to make the cut at the end of June. The last time the cutline was at 56 in a VUSO was 2017 at Erin Hills. That year 15 players were at 53 or better with the top 2 players shooting 52. However, they used some random tees in that VUSO on at least one of the par 5s, making it an eagle opportunity. At Erin Hills over 250 players made the cut, which meant that at least 94 players made the cut without collecting the 200 credit prize money. (Although 156 plus ties make the cut, only the first 156 on the leaderboard get the 2000 credit prize money)

Numbers haven't changed much this past week, but there will most likely be a lot of change in the final week as players start playing more to try and make the cut or get into those top 156 "payout" spots.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2021 2:48 AM

BPeterson8256:
    At Erin Hills over 250 players made the cut, which meant that at least 94 players made the cut without collecting the 200 credit prize money. (Although 156 plus ties make the cut, only the first 156 on the leaderboard get the 2000 credit prize money)

Pretty sure that's not the case. 157th-plus that made the cut get paid out manually by WGT a few days after the tournament closes, it's just the automatic payout that doesn't work for ties beyond the 156th spot. (Plus, I don't think the 2k credits get added to your career earnings as they're paid out as a 'balance adjustment') Maybe they've changed it last year, I didn't pay attention, but it was like this in 2019 and before.

Other than that, thanks for your regular updates in this thread :) I hope I won't have to play the course a second time in the qualifier, I was already kind of bored on the back nine of my first attempt. Visually, it's like a poor man's Pebble Beach, while it kinda plays like Pinehurst with all its iron approaches and very little variety or risk-reward shots. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2021 3:55 AM

birchi:

BPeterson8256:
    At Erin Hills over 250 players made the cut, which meant that at least 94 players made the cut without collecting the 200 credit prize money. (Although 156 plus ties make the cut, only the first 156 on the leaderboard get the 2000 credit prize money)

Pretty sure that's not the case. 157th-plus that made the cut get paid out manually by WGT a few days after the tournament closes, it's just the automatic payout that doesn't work for ties beyond the 156th spot. (Plus, I don't think the 2k credits get added to your career earnings as they're paid out as a 'balance adjustment') Maybe they've changed it last year, I didn't pay attention, but it was like this in 2019 and before.

Other than that, thanks for your regular updates in this thread :) I hope I won't have to play the course a second time in the qualifier, I was already kind of bored on the back nine of my first attempt. Visually, it's like a poor man's Pebble Beach, while it kinda plays like Pinehurst with all its iron approaches and very little variety or risk-reward shots. 

That is good too know about the credits. I was just going by what shows on the leaderboard. Thank you for clarifying that.

That's a good description of how the course plays. It will be interesting to watch the pros play and see how the course really plays for them now that I am more familiar with it. I was surprised watching the PGA Championship to see that Kiawah greens were as tough in real life as they are on wgt. There seemed to be lots of strange little breaks even on short putts. I had thought that was just wgt. It also seemed water came into play a lot. Some of that may be from pin positions, but I never thought of water being an issue at Kiawah. Perhaps there will be some danger like that at Torrey Pines, that we just don't see on wgt. Obviously not water, but perhaps something else.

Cheers

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2021 8:13 PM

The cutline moved this evening... 156 players are now tied for 67th place or better. The cutline is now at 56. It will probably remain there for the rest of the tournament.

RSS