Wed, Aug 30 2023 4:24 PM (225 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2022 2:05 PM

HamdenPro:

DodgyPutter:
    The fact is

And it begins....

So on the 16th page and after much disagreement, it stated with me.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2022 2:12 PM

It has been decided I shouldn't reply, I can't quite manage that but I'll limit it to a couple of points and I don't think they're argumentative for the sake of it. The option to not read any further is also available.

PureGro1:
    m honestly not sure on apparel, I started playing wolf when I started WGT because WGT said it was the easy course. I got good at it and I shoot same with or w/o apparel on that course, the first tourney I tried to grind was WC as a TM and I think I had a 55 in that tourney. I know the apparel makes courses like chambers and merion a little easier to get out of with good scores though. IMO- wolf is too short a course for apparel to really help much.

The question was, can you use it in RR's? and, even with the start of the answer, it appears to be that you can.

I'll assume you're being genuine and really believe that apparel doesn't help much at WC but I can see absolutely no way that could be true.  Even if the too short theory was valid you could wear apparel to (for example; slow, lengthen, increase the sweet spot or forgiveness on any of your clubs) help in many ways.  I'd still think having the first putt for eagle or approach with a SW rather than a 9I sort of thing would be one of the bigger advantages, and would happen at WC more than elsewhere.

PureGro1:
    I would disagree w/you on your own stats, I see your GIR, your Sand saves and scramble numbers plus a few other clues that tell me you are not a red tee player. I would bet you get accused of all sorts of stuff playing Match or coins because they are not use to seeing champs and TCs shoot as your stats/scores suggest that you do.

The biggest difference I see in red tee guys and regular tee is- the ability to recover if something goes wrong.

I know that wasn't meant to be picking an argument and I too am guilty of looking at stat's and making assumptions, hopefully with less certainty than I used to though.

I could go on forever about how they are fairly useless unless you know exactly how someone played and also that as two players are unlikely to play exactly the same way it's misleading to compare.  I'll try to cut it short :-)

In general you'd need to know how often they upgraded equipment, when they found out about CC's (maybe only for old timers that one), sought advice etc.  An important thing to know would be how easily they quit, if someone quits as soon as something goes wrong (they don't save par from the sand for example) that will colour their stat's. 

For me, I liked uel and played many tournaments in that format and they counted toward my stats.

Two players of equal ability, same everything at the same time, but one played coin games for six months then rr's for six months while the other did it the other way round, imagine how different their stats would look.

The stat's here are as much about how you play as they are about how (well) you play :-/

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2022 3:40 PM

DodgyPutter:
    It has been decided I shouldn't reply, I can't quite manage that but I'll limit it to a couple of points and I don't think they're argumentative for the sake of it. The option to not read any further is also available.

Lol....same, hard to have a discussion on a discussion board doing that I think...might be how we got to this point anyway. 

Look, I see your scores and everything- I think your probably a really good player. I would like to play sometime but I get a distinct feeling that you have some ax to grind, just realize I don't know why that is and do not have a similar feeling- I am purely discussing the game.

DodgyPutter:

The question was, can you use it in RR's? and, even with the start of the answer, it appears to be that you can.

I'll assume you're being genuine and really believe that apparel doesn't help much at WC but I can see absolutely no way that could be true.  Even if the too short theory was valid you could wear apparel to (for example; slow, lengthen, increase the sweet spot or forgiveness on any of your clubs) help in many ways.  I'd still think having the first putt for eagle or approach with a SW rather than a 9I sort of thing would be one of the bigger advantages, and would happen at WC more than elsewhere.

Why would you assume I would be anything but genuine and state what I really believe? For real though why would I mislead you or anyone with that? just weird man...

Yes- you certainly can use apparel in all SP stroke games unless you remove it (I think i misunderstood what you were asking), I didn't say that it wont help others. I would have no idea if it does or doesn't...unfortunately I am only me.

I said I personally shoot the same scores there now as I did in June of 2019 on flash Which means it does not help me, I wish I could hit 23 but I cant, I shoot 25-28 on the B9 and 26-30 on F9 always have and always will I guess.

DodgyPutter:

I could go on forever about how they are fairly useless unless you know exactly how someone played and also that as two players are unlikely to play exactly the same way it's misleading to compare.

I fully understand what your saying and those exceptions are taken into account when trying to discern who is who. 

DodgyPutter:
    In general you'd need to know how often they upgraded equipment, when they found out about CC's (maybe only for old timers that one), sought advice etc.  An important thing to know would be how easily they quit, if someone quits as soon as something goes wrong (they don't save par from the sand for example) that will colour their stat's. 

Right, which is my point...so the stat says they are no good from sand, your contending the only reason they are no good is cause they do not try. Which is full circle to them not being good from the sand...Am i missing something?

Or try another way, Your stating that there stats are only bad because they quit when something goes wrong. That doesn't change the fact that they are not good in recovery, its just a reason why...

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2022 3:44 PM

DodgyPutter:
    So on the 16th page and after much disagreement, it stated with me.

Absolutely not. I guess I should have included PureGro quotes as well.  I just know how super sensitive he is, and you said that there is nothing I can say that will upset you.... :)

The fact is, I actually agreed with some of your points, but did not want to "gang up" on him-LOL.

As both of you are my friends, I just wanted to have a little fun.

So, at that this point, GO FOR IT... I am sure many will find this most enjoyable to observe. I will try to keep the "JM" in check.

Without further adieu...."PLAY BALL!!"

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2022 7:18 PM

A coin room player can use apparel...or not.

Can you use apparel in ranked rounds? "Mostly" no BUT there is an exception not mentioned by WGT, or anywhere else that I know of.

The exception allowed in ranked rounds is....

{to be continued in the next episode.)

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2022 8:47 PM

HamdenPro:
    I am sure many will find this most enjoyable to observe

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2022 3:32 AM

PureGro1:
    Why would you assume I would be anything but genuine and state what I really believe? For real though why would I mislead you or anyone with that? just weird man...

Ok, what you say is true for you. The reason I had trouble believing it is that lowering scores is what apparel is there for, it's a bit like saying "I score the same with my regular clubs as I do with starters". Maybe not to quite the same extent but along these lines.

The reason I'm continuing with that is there are many mentions of red tee champs/TC's or whatever and close to none of apparel champs/TC's and to me there is little difference.  In fact I'd think the apparel is the easier way, you can have distance off the tee (down the fairway) but also with 3wd etc and then help with your putting etc etc. Red tee just means you are further down the fairway.  Again I have no knowledge of what control you have over green speed and wind in the apparel rr's, I'll check it out sometime, and that'll perhaps alter the balance a bit.

My point about stats was really just you can't know if they are good or bad in recovery by looking at stats. You may form an opinion when playing against them but, as that's likely to be based on one instance, that's hardly reliable either.  Anyway it's stat's I was talking about. 

PureGro1:
    Your stating that there stats are only bad because they quit when something goes wrong.

If I did say, or imply, that I didn't mean to.  The main reason being if they quit whenever something goes wrong their stat's would be good. Mind you that depends what you mean by "bad", they would be deceptive. 

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2022 9:01 AM

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2022 10:11 AM

PureGro1:
    If I red tee WC, That 110-180 becomes 70-100, meaning it switches to a wedge shot-This is a huge help for that green and makes an eagle very possible on that par 4. This does help me and I could shoot a 23 under that condition fwiw...

Hi PureGro1. 

I noticed you're just a champion. Is that because you play the back tees and Champion speed greens?

Have you locked in your average yet? I think WGT requires 1,000 ranked rounds to start! Do you know how many ranked rounds you've got so far?

I didn't have to do that many. I had to play only 200 ranked rounds to make TOUR CHAMPION.

ps Just rubbing some salt.

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2022 11:20 AM

PureGro1:
    I know this is a bit long winded- but

Oh my GAWD.....is it the Sativa, or lack of good Indica?

EDIT: Trying my best not to throw the flag....

RSS