Forums

Help › Forums

Driver Upgrade Advice

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 11 2021 8:17 PM (6 replies)
  • Jam1594
    5 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2021 11:34 PM

Hi, I'm on Level 81 Tour Pro. Need some valuable driver guidance as i'm in a bit of a dilemna.

Should i buy Taylor Made Sim (level 74), Ping G610 (level 81) or wait until level 85 for Callaway Mavrik?

A lot of posts have praised the level 85 Callaway Mavrik driver. Does its high trajectory give it an advantage over the TM. Conversely does the higher forgiveness of TM help (especially since i play on mobile).

Bottom line should i wait for level 85 (it would take me almost 2 months based on current game frequency) or go ahead and buy Taylor Made. I'm hoping to use the driver for the long run. 

Advice would be appreciated!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2021 8:45 AM

your shooting some quality scores with essentially starter gear... when you start upgrading, your scores will likely also start dropping fast, the promotions will then likely start coming quite a bit faster after that...

so, consider filling out your bag with some of the wedges you like, maybe test some over the likely free rental on Master's Weekend which usually happens... and wait for all the L85 gear - driver, 3wd, irons... and you will basically have the equipment that is now being used in the etour where you can see very low scores are possible with that equipment setup even from the back tees...

since you have waited this long, just continue to hone your short game and course management because anyone shooting your scores with starter gear clearly has potential to adapt quickly to the better equipment.  

--- if you want to dabble with some small upgrades, consider using the silver coin rental club sets if you have sufficient coins, they will help ease the transition over the next couple months that you have projected to get to L85.  - I did a summary of 3 of the introductory coin rentals in another thread... you might search -- coin rental specs - for an idea of what they are and which set would feel like a suitable upgrade based on your silver coin bankroll.

• BStanley6
    1,179 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2021 3:43 PM

I had the same dilemma a few months back & while nowhere near your level of scoring it was obvious for me to improve I needed to get off the starters. I strongly recommend you search the forums for scotthopes pro shop tables as that spreadsheet was a real time saver for me in being able to compare all of the clubs at a time & just filter out any I wasn't interested in. 

My upgrade path was to get a driver first & I went with the level 81 Ping you mention. I liken the driver upgrade to a superhero first discovering they have super powers. It was a real game changer from the get go once I got used to the metre speed especially in CC tourneys from the back tees where sometimes the starter can't even get to the fairway from the tee.

I also upgraded my wedges at the same time, I started with just the one (I was doing surveys to build up credits). I started just taking notes on distance & number of times I was using wedges in a round over a few days to see which one I needed the most & purchased it. I went with the Max level 50 odd as they had the most spin & again were a game changer even while still on starter balls.

Next I went with a iron set but would recommend you get 3 (some people recommend 4) wedges first as my problem was by getting 1 wedges first & then irons I had a gap in low range distance as didn't realise / take into account the wedges that are part of the starter set & not separate clubs. It wasn't a massive issue as could still get around it by hitting lower percentage but getting the second wedge shortly after made a huge difference around the greens.

After that I looked at balls & went with the 10 Credit ones & noticed a difference in spin & control over the rocks. I then went to the 44 credits to see if the slower metre speed (1) made a difference,  which it did & have now settled on the 64 credit ones as they have a slightly slower metre speed (2).

Good luck in whatever path you take.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2021 3:54 PM

Jam1594:
    Should i buy Taylor Made Sim (level 74), Ping G610 (level 81) or wait until level 85 for Callaway Mavrik?

If WGT has a Free Rental Weekend this weekend (which they usually do during major tournaments like The Masters), I would suggest you rent the Ping L81 driver and the TM L74 driver and see which one you like best.  You should get a 10% discount on any club you rent.

High trajectory is better than Med/High trajectory.  Among other things, it's better for clearing trees off the tee box.  But as a Tour Pro you might not be seeing too many situations yet where you have to clear trees.  You'll see that more when you reach Legend.

el3n1:
    consider filling out your bag with some of the wedges you like, maybe test some over the likely free rental on Master's Weekend which usually happens

Agreed.  In addition to the drivers, you might also consider renting the L76 and L80 Titleist wedges.  You already have the L78 wedge and those other two would complete your set and do wonders for your game.  All 3 of those wedges are "forever" wedges.  You can go the rest of your WGT career without upgrading them.

• Jam1594
    5 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2021 7:05 AM

Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I've bought the ping G610 driver and i'm able to adapt to the meter speed already so quite happy with it. I had already planned to purchase the other 2 Titleist vokey wedges.

Re putter, I rented the level 70 Scotty Cameron and am quite impressed with it. Able to get nearly all putts under 15-20 feet. Are there better putters out there later on that would be even better or should i look to buy this?

Thanks again! :)

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 3:51 PM

Jam1594:
    I rented the level 70 Scotty Cameron and am quite impressed with it. Able to get nearly all putts under 15-20 feet.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about that putter.  Let me put it to you this way... if you can make nearly all putts under 15-20 feet with it, why would you NOT buy it?

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 8:17 PM

RSS