Forums

Help › Forums

Putter advice

Thu, Mar 17 2022 1:06 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Johnny11505
    5 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 10:31 PM

Hi there, I’m new to the forum page and looking for advice. have been playing the game for awhile now and I think it’s time for a new putter. I still have the starter putter. Thoughts suggestions.Thanks cheers 🍻 

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 11:26 AM

Hi Johnny, my suggestion is scotty Cameron phantom X6 L70, the change for the L98 version when you get there.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 12:21 PM

My advice is forget about updating your putter (unless you have a lot of credits). You need to update your wedges.

If you update the wedges, then your putting will dramatically improve. But if you don't update the wedges, the better putter isn't likely to have that significant effect on your scoring. 

I would go with the Vokeys (Levels 76, 78, and 80). 

Better putters don't help a player read the greens. It's the last club that should be upgraded (IMO). 

• Johnny11505
    5 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 12:28 PM

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply. I’m glad I haven’t yet, I will upgrade my wedges and go from there, thanks again. Cheers

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 6:43 PM

👍

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 1:07 AM

Actually Johnny, I just quickly answered your immediate question, but I could not agree with Robert more.

My mantra for a long time in real golf has been, “to improve your putting, chip it closer to the hole”.

Absolutely, get rid of a hybrid, get those wedges and map them, full with no spin and punch with FBS and with a decent ball you can get within 1 or 2 yards 90+%, if I can, you can👍

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 1:16 AM

Having said that about upgrading wedges, which is absolutely correct, I’ve reproduced here my comment in another thread about putters, this is also true 😉

There is a link ‘somewhere’ in this forum where someone did a clever “putt on putt picture overlay“ showing the distribution of lines and final resting point of putts comparing starter balls and starter putters v starter balls and better putters.

results? As expected, the consistent  precision of the starter stuff was wildly worse than the more precise better stuff.

so you can be as precise as you like to think you are in your calculations but with the lesser capable clubs/balls the result will be not just ‘less consistent’ but actually ‘inconsistent’.

you can prove it to yourself on the practise putting greens . . .”

So, if you ‘can’ afford a better putter, get one because you’ll be using if for a long time and whilst your putting average may take a long time to change, it’s the 1,2 or 3 putts less in a round that you’ll appreciate, better to lip in than lip out 🤞

• Johnny11505
    5 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 11:37 AM

Hi ichott, thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get a putter because of the flash sale going on, but I decided against it. I’m going to upgrade my wedges and then get a new putter. The putter you suggest is the Scotty. I will put it in my list lol.

I am also going to try and find that putt on putt overlay forum. Thanks again for tips and info, much appreciated. Cheers 🍻

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 3:40 PM

ichott:
    There is a link ‘somewhere’ in this forum where someone did a clever “putt on putt picture overlay“ showing the distribution of lines and final resting point of putts comparing starter balls and starter putters v starter balls and better putters

Was this the thread you were referring too?

Putter Precision Tests - Now with Irons

Don

• ichott
    56 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 6:01 PM

Yes Don, thank you and well done for finding it. It’s a great read and surely explains that better putters are just more consistent in length and width. Like I said, it’s just ‘more’ likely with a better putter to sink a putt than lip out - if that’s not important to those who aren’t bothered about saving 1 or 2+ putts a round then they are welcome to stick starter gear 😂

• PAGES
RSS