Forums

Help › Forums

Forfeiting At the End of a Round

Wed, Apr 7 2021 3:35 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • astro99
    1 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2021 8:47 PM

I recently played a stroke play on the front nine of Bethpage Black against a Tour Champion and another Legend player.  I won the round and both forfeited on the last putt of the round.  What is the reason for doing that?  Is it a way to not have the round count?

And  by the way the Tour Champion is not great player.  Is this how he rose up levels?  Basically forfeit at the very end if it is not a great round?  

Thanks

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 12:13 PM

astro99:
    I recently played a stroke play on the front nine of Bethpage Black against a Tour Champion and another Legend player.  I won the round and both forfeited on the last putt of the round.  What is the reason for doing that?  Is it a way to not have the round count?

Yes, that's it exactly.  Unfortunately, those players are out there.  They protect their precious low averages and score history by forfeiting or restarting their round when they're not scoring well.  They think having a low average (or a higher tier) makes them look like they're a great player, which they're not.

There are lots of red-tee Champions and Tour Champions out there.  Seems to be a thing for some people.  Best advice I can give you is just take satisfaction in knowing that you're a better player than they are, and don't sink to their level.

• jacktrade51
    10,834 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 9:08 PM

Sam is exactly right on there are averages and then averages.  In my early days of WGT, there was a player who played nothing but St.A short tees, got to TL (Champ/TC didn't exist then) and quit the game.  

Not my approach, I try to learn every time I play.

I am opposed to ff'ing ever.  Real golfers will play it out even if losing and this was a stroke play game.

But there are reasons players will do it.  Most of those have nothing to do with average.  Got a better invite, pissed off from bad play, and gave up because couldn't win game come to mind immediately.  I am not justifying, just explaining.

Tom.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 2:23 AM

astro99:
    I won the round and both forfeited on the last putt of the round.  What is the reason for doing that?  Is it a way to not have the round count?
    Yes, players "protect" their averages.
    astro99:
    And  by the way the Tour Champion is not great player.  Is this how he rose up levels?  Basically forfeit at the very end if it is not a great round? 
    Nope.

A quitted round doesn't count to anything (except for a few XPs). Win or loss of a MP stroke play round won't be recorded anywhere outside the round itself.

In no way will such forfeit bring anyone closer towards their goals.

1) The ranked round count remains unchanged. That way, no step towards saturation.

2) There are less XPs, since the "completed" boni go missing => lower level, lesser clubs.

3) On the long run, "bad" rounds do not affect the average. This is due to the non-linear accounting once saturation has been achieved: Bad rounds will be kicked out early, leading to a noticable drop of the average.

Another point goes into quitting early and restarting (solo rounds): You fail to learn the back holes - it will take you longer to excel!

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 7:25 AM

astro99:

Thanks

bottom line it doesn't matter. forfeits save time and don't really affect anything in any kind of meaningful way.

since it's head to head and no one else consider it the same as conceding.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 7:40 AM

astro99:

What is the reason for doing that?  

Nobody knows for sure, and it shouldn't matter to you. If you knew that you beat them, then why do you care if they actually post their score? It won't show up in any stats that you won. And it will not affect your stats or you in any way.

I am not sure how may players play this game, but there are no two players that play the same or for the same reasons. There are that many different ways to play, and just as many reasons why people play.

They could have been protecting stats as many have suggested. They may have a controlling spouse that has had fights with them over how much they play (these are public profiles). They may have not wanted another player to know they played without them. They may have been trying out new equipment. They may have been trying a new putting method. They may have been trying out different kind of shots, or different ways of playing. It may have just been a practice round for them that they didn't want reflected in their history. And there are thousands more possibilities. 

In the real world when I use to golf a lot, I never carried a card. However, I played with many players who did, and I don't know a single one of them that posted all their scores.

Mythanatos:

bottom line it doesn't matter.

+1000

Have fun with this game. Don't let other players affect how much fun you are having. 

• HenryKawa
    1,720 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 8:16 AM

jacktrade51:

Sam is exactly right on there are averages and then averages.  In my early days of WGT, there was a player who played nothing but St.A short tees, got to TL (Champ/TC didn't exist then) and quit the game.  

Not my approach, I try to learn every time I play.

I am opposed to ff'ing ever.  Real golfers will play it out even if losing and this was a stroke play game.

But there are reasons players will do it.  Most of those have nothing to do with average.  Got a better invite, pissed off from bad play, and gave up because couldn't win game come to mind immediately.  I am not justifying, just explaining.

Tom.

I totally agree with what Sam and Jack said.  "I" on the other hand, never do that.  I don't worry about my level or average because I seldom play ranked rounds.  So even though I appear to be an average player, everyone knows I am one of the best.    A few years ago, I played Young46 Match Play.   After the first 4 holes I was already 2 UP.   Since that day, I got even better and yet my average has not really changed.  

• AcadianSlim
    2 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2021 6:27 AM

I know it's poor sportsmanship, but I have, on rare occasion, forfeited a game our of shear frustration, just like one would do in real life. I consider it a compliment to WGT in making this game so realistic - I have the exact same frustration with my play here as I do IRL. 

The last time this happened I was on a very difficult green and got so upset with myself, I changed my club to a 3 iron and took a full swing towards some houses - hopefully giving my opponent a good chuckle before quitting the game.

I only wish there was an option to pick up my golf bag and throw it in a water hazard.

We are human after all. 

• Dynofine
    18 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2021 6:34 AM

I agree wholeheartedly 

• PAGES
RSS