Forums

Help › Forums

Can somebody

Mon, Mar 29 2021 5:57 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2021 7:42 AM

explain this to me? I just played other round for master bracket tournament. First was 63, second 73! I didnt get anything in and shot distances variation was something that i have a feeling like "first time play". 

How this is possible? Is it some kind of trick here?

• twinponds169
    3,004 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2021 9:30 AM

Welcome to the New & Far From Improved WGT!

I can play a round that would rival FMagnets and follow it up 10 minutes later with a round that a level 20 Tour Pro would whup me in. :-)

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2021 9:32 AM

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2021 9:15 PM

TopShelf2010:

Tepi62Ka:
    How this is possible? Is it some kind of trick here?

Need more information to decipher what it happening.

Courses? Wind Conditions? Green Speeds? All of those factors can drastically change the outcome of your rounds.

Don

Yeah, good explanation! I cant answer it cause conditions of course was different. Over 10 shots? Point is also, that after shot I excepting good result! Somehow result could be totally something else.

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2021 7:57 AM

Here...how I can describe this without being angry. At tee i chosen 130y iron cause against wind. Little less power so 125y about. Nice shot just in line...wonderful to see it flew into bunker.AAARRRGGHH 

Now when you look at wind direction, its from side. Why in hell wgt do this??Its already fuc*** difficult to get results. After bunker shot i had about 15ft putt waiting LOL

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 1:51 AM

Did it land there flat or bounced from the edge of the rough? No idea what is the hole distance from master tees, but from my tees (134 y), that should've been at about 93, 94% with the 135 y club in that wind and without spin. So, 125-127 power from 134y. You need to understand, that flat shots off the tee fly a fair bit longer than from the fairway. Now, if your distance to pin was 130y or less, that was the correct outcome of your shot. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 5:51 AM

Tepi62Ka:

Why in hell wgt do this?? 

You will never become very good if you blame WGT for your failures. The key to improving is to ask yourself "What did I do wrong?". 

One of the fun things about this game is how much there is to learn. The game becomes almost easy once you know the answers. It can be very difficult though when you are guessing or have the wrong answers.

Next time you play #13 @ Merion with the back pin, try a punch shot for the same distance. It will prevent you from ending up in the bunker. Then if you want a more makeable putt, leave yourself a couple yards short. Making a pin high putt on that green is very difficult unless it is inside 2'.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 7:18 AM

BPeterson8256:
    You will never become very good if you blame WGT for your failures. The key to improving is to ask yourself "What did I do wrong?". 

Very good point, but you should also not try to correct BS variance and you will encounter it without question... so the key is fix what you can and know the game will still give unlikely outcomes at times that you dont want to try and correct because they are outlier type variance shots that cant be fixed only managed with recovery shots.

The only way to try and discern the difference between the two is through reasonably good club ball charting.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 9:18 AM

el3n1:

BPeterson8256:

Very good point, but you should also not try to correct BS variance and you will encounter it without question... so the key is fix what you can and know the game will still give unlikely outcomes at times that you dont want to try and correct because they are outlier type variance shots that cant be fixed only managed with recovery shots.

The only way to try and discern the difference between the two is through reasonably good club ball charting.

Sorry, but I 100% disagree with you.

In principle, you may be right, but I doubt there are ANY new and few experienced average players that can "discern the difference". Additionally, the times when a bad shot is not your own fault is miniscule compared to the times that it is.

The above example of Merion #13 is the perfect example of why you should not blame WGT for your mistakes. Continue to play it the way you "think" it should play, continue to play it for the way your "clubs and ball is charted", and you will keep ending up in the back bunker. Accept that the shot plays different than how you think it should play, try something different, figure out a good way to play it, and you will never have a problem with that hole again.

As for "good club ball charting"... I have never charted a club or a ball. And although my game could use some improvement, I doubt it would help me.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 9:54 AM

BPeterson8256:
    Sorry, but I 100% disagree with you.

Nothing wrong with that, we all choose to incorporate what works for us.  

BPeterson8256:
    I have never charted a club or a ball.

Your experience of playing over 7000 rounds has taught you the same thing someone might do by "officially charting" - if you had not learned how your clubs play with certain balls and you are blindly hacking and guessing then I am not sure you would shoot the scores you have... experience that teaches you how your clubs play over countless rounds without officially charting accomplishes the same thing as what someone who has charted or mapped their clubs.  Experience in that sense is the same as charting because you are not blindly guessing but relying on what you know works.

Ball mapping simply alters the learning curve for less experienced players potentially allowing for fewer ranked rounds to be played.

BPeterson8256:
    the times when a bad shot is not your own fault is miniscule compared to the times that it is.

I would say it might be about the same number of times an awful shot poorly executed ends up playing almost perfectly - yes, poorly executed shots that somehow play almost perfect - those happen too and I have never ignored those.  I will be one of the first to admit, I hit a bad shot that also turned out far better than it deserved.  It happens both ways sometimes.

• PAGES
RSS