Help › Forums

Upgrade from Starter Putter

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 3 2021 6:02 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BurntOrangeDad
    23 Posts
    Fri, Feb 26 2021 12:49 PM
    Does anyone have some suggestions (under 1,000 credits) on an upgrade to the starter putter for someone in the mid-40’s level? Thanks!
  • SamSpayed
    4,890 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2021 7:22 PM

The TaylorMade Spider X Putter (L35+) is a great choice for that level and price range.  But, honestly, the starter putter is pretty good.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2021 10:03 PM

+1!

That Spider is even better in total points than my trustful but discontinued Rossa of L55 by 1.0, and a bargain compared to quite a few higher ranked putters. (The L55 SeeMore "replacement" is just 0.1 better than the Rossa and costs 1,100 cr).

In general, my advice is to stick to the Starter putter until your skills make you shudder experiencing it's deficiencies. Alas, this li'l beauty may be worth it once you've passed L35 and have the means to get two wedges at L39 (TM Milled Grind 60°+64° @700 cr each).

Priority to the wedges though!

• BurntOrangeDad
    23 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2021 6:13 AM

Thanks! I recently tried the level 51 Spider on a free rental but couldn’t get used to it. Do you know if there is something comparable to the starter putter that might have more balance? I was thinking of giving one of the Pings a test drive.

• BurntOrangeDad
    23 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2021 6:15 AM

Thanks for the response!

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2021 7:33 AM

While the putter is the club many appear to want to upgrade first, it really should be the last upgrade. Starter putter worked well for me. I kept it until Level 70. 

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2021 9:22 PM

If you can get to Master soon, I went from the starter to the MAX (Master+), and really liked it.  It's 2500cr, tho.  Then I went to the L70 phantom, and lastly to the L98.  I thought all the putters in that progression played similarly.  I tried all the spiders, too, but they gave me fits.  If you have a handle on the starter, I think you'll probably like any of those.

• BurntOrangeDad
    23 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2021 10:40 AM
    Thanks! I’m comfortable with the starter, but definitely enjoy trying out the free rentals from time to time. So far, though, I haven’t found anything I like better than the starter. I’m assuming the Scotty Cameron Newport is an overpriced option that isn’t really much of an upgrade?
  • alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2021 8:52 PM

BurntOrangeDad:
    I’m comfortable with the starter, but definitely enjoy trying out the free rentals from time to time.
    That's the way to do it!

BurntOrangeDad:
    I’m assuming the Scotty Cameron Newport is an overpriced option that isn’t really much of an upgrade?
    From the performance points, it's very good, better than the L35 TM or the L55 SeeMore. Question is if this translates to real putting performance...

It's overpriced because of "L0" and "meter speed 5.1". Prices shoot up with early availability and slow meter, respectively. Here, you have both!

• BurntOrangeDad
    23 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2021 9:39 PM

Thanks for the insight!

• PAGES
RSS