Forums

Help › Forums

Being a Tournament Slug

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 21 2021 7:40 PM (4 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,023 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2021 6:18 AM

I suppose I am being naive when I assume that the elements of fairness and respect will be the common desire of those entering high level world class tournaments. Although it is certainly not the only such experience I have had, I recently entered one such bracket tournament that was being organized and managed by a top-notch guy. I don't think it could have been in better hands. I anticipated a fun time and I was proud to be part of that world class event. Unfortunately, some of what I took away from my experience was disappointment and perhaps a reluctance to try it again. The disappointment was in how much unnecessary scheduling problems there were. I might expect that from self-centered gamers but from some of the better players on WGT...huh, really? Why the hell is it so difficult to message your opponents to schedule a game is a timely manner? For those of you who are doing it, why are you so quick to screw up an event of such quality? If you are not inclined to do your part in making the competition an enjoyable event for all, just don't play. Being a tournament slug is a slimy business.

• gladsome
    446 Posts
    Thu, Feb 18 2021 2:40 AM

That's how it is in this day and age. I don't think that the majority of them are tournament spoilers, but that the goal is simply to win.
    I am only a mediocre player and can forget about winning anything. That's why I'm a fun player, which isn't easy either, but it's less stressful.
    From experience, I can say that even in real sports, more and more psychological tricks are being used, so that you can't hit straight from the first tee.
    You have to be chemically purified to get through that.
    Hit em well
    Charlie

• Slimjim001
    1,023 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2021 1:08 PM

When I took up the game of golf in real life, the first thing I was told to learn was "golf etiquette". In a nutshell, golf etiquette is about respecting and treating other players right. If you've ever played real golf on a real course, you practiced golf etiquette or you didn't play. Its too bad that there isn't some way to include and enforce golf etiquette on WGT golf. It might have eliminated some of the unnecessary scheduling issues we are seeing on the CEverett 2021 World Alt. Shot Tournament.

• Cas57
    3,036 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2021 1:43 PM

Slimjim001:

Why the hell is it so difficult to message your opponents to schedule a game is a timely manner? For those of you who are doing it, why are you so quick to screw up an event of such quality?

I have no knowledge of the tournament you're playing in but do have some knowledge about communication or lack there of on WGT.  As a CC owner, my biggest gripe is how to communicate with members and secondly, with people on your friend list.

If those people/members have no knowledge of the CC forum, messaging on profile pages, leaving messages on a person wall on wgt.com, it's really difficult to contact anyone.

I'm finding that since the mobile version came out, most of those players have no clue of the other ways to communicate.  Many that are in CC's don't even check the Player Chat forum in their CC.  It's frustrating, at best!

I also know exactly where you're coming from though!

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2021 7:40 PM

I don't know what Slimjim is talking about.  I have played a lot of AS and match play tournaments involving different clubs, and I have never had a problem scheduling the game.  Some disagreements to be sure, I played a 2 against GMT+3 at 11 AM when I don't like playing until 5 hours later.  I am sure others accommodated against me.

We always worked it out and everyone wanted to play.

Tom.

RSS