Help › Forums

Uneven showdown conditions

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 17 2021 11:29 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2021 8:34 AM

I always assumed players get the same set of courses and conditions, just not in the same order. I realised today that wasn't true. While playing my 12th hole (PB set), I got the dreadded fatal error before my final putt. The only way out was to close the launcher and load it again. When I came back, I had to replay holes 10 through 12, but on Piney this time. I got the Pebble beach set again in the next set (holes 13 through 15) and there were a couple of really big changes.

The holes were the same in both sets (#7, 14, 18), but while I had heavy winds and 7,9 greens the first time, there was low wind and 7,4 greens the second time. And the pin on #14 changed, it was the back in the 1st try and the front during the 2nd attempt. There's quite a difference between both PB sets. So I can assume that goes for every 3 hole set we play and all the conditions are really random, so some players can have a fairly big advantage over others. Not really cool, is all I'll say. 

• wedge0837
    862 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2021 9:06 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    some players can have a fairly big advantage over others. Not really cool, is all I'll say. 

My advice to you : "Do not play Showdowns until WGT fixes the issue."

I quit playing Showdowns a year ago due to too many issues, too many time outs and too many very good players winning it all in the kids section. 

I see its still the same...although they continue to get entry fees for them...I am not sure anything will get done as people always will enter and pay...?

Until then, Carry on I guess. 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 1:51 AM

wedge0837:

AnaNikolaj:
    some players can have a fairly big advantage over others. Not really cool, is all I'll say. 

I quit playing Showdowns a year ago due to too many issues, too many time outs and too many very good players winning it all in the kids section. 

I see its still the same...although they continue to get entry fees for them...I am not sure anything will get done as people always will enter and pay...?

I consider myself lucky, cause I've never had an issue I couldn't get out of..... yet..... regarding the forfeits, errors, spinning, etc. 

But the realisation we're not all playing the same pins, wind strengths and green speeds is new to me and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'll probably stay away from them from now on. Probably... ;-) 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 3:31 AM

AnaNikolaj:

wedge0837:

AnaNikolaj:

I consider myself lucky, cause I've never had an issue I couldn't get out of..... yet..... regarding the forfeits, errors, spinning, etc. 

But the realisation we're not all playing the same pins, wind strengths and green speeds is new to me and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'll probably stay away from them from now on. Probably... ;-) 

It has always been like this even in the regular tournaments. Rg's, and Brackets, The green speeds and pins are the same and the wind speeds are similar but wind direction has always been random. One player might get all tailwinds another all headwinds and another a mixture, 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 4:47 AM

Sting, if you read my 1st post you'll see that pins were not the same, green speeds were not the same and the wind was heavy in one and low in the other. So absolutely not like any other event. 

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 5:06 AM

Sting   :))  haha

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 6:25 AM

borntobesting:

AnaNikolaj:

wedge0837:

AnaNikolaj:

It has always been like this even in the regular tournaments. Rg's, and Brackets, The green speeds and pins are the same and the wind speeds are similar but wind direction has always been random. One player might get all tailwinds another all headwinds and another a mixture, 

This is all different to what happens in rg's etc even the wind, previously if you had heavy you knew everyone else had the same.

I'm not too sure what the problem with it is, if the best players may sometimes be at a disadvantage (other times they'd have the better of conditions) then surely ij just levels the field a tiny bit.  Maybe some better players wouldn't play it but also it may encourage others to play.it more as they could have a better chance.  All the more so if the better players decide this random difference is enough to convince them not to play.

A final thought on having different  wind speeds, it could make the difference between what two players get smaller. The case given was heavy wind in one and  low in the other; in the first you could be playing into a 25mph wind and an opponent could (if they had the same speed) get 25mph helping, if they have light wind they can't ;-)

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 7:53 AM

All true, Alan. But it can go the other way as well. Imagine a good player getting a set on Wolfie with a couple of par 5s and a reachable par 4 and plays it in low wind and slow-ish greens and easier pins. And another less skilled player gets the same 3 holes, but with heavy head wind, faster greens and the more difficult pins. Could happen just as easy as your version. Doesn't really seem fair, right? I don't mind playing these things once a month, but it would sure be nice knowing I'm playing the same courses as the rest, with the wind direction being the only difference... 

• Tabarnak777
    168 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 8:04 AM

It has been reported for Brackets, public credits tourneys and ready go's as well. Not fair i agree, but on the long run i guess we can be the lucky guy as well at some occasions, assuming we play the same kind of tourneys on and on.

There is no reason to put different settings among same tourneys. Unless it's technically impossible to do it which i really doubt.

Edit: I'm talking about wind direction, not strength. Still same subject.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2021 11:07 AM

Tabarnak777:

It has been reported for Brackets, public credits tourneys and ready go's as well. Not fair i agree, but on the long run i guess we can be the lucky guy as well at some occasions, assuming we play the same kind of tourneys on and on.

There is no reason to put different settings among same tourneys. Unless it's technically impossible to do it which i really doubt.

Edit: I'm talking about wind direction, not strength. Still same subject.

No sure I'd agree with the direction and strength being the same subject. They aren't to me at least. As far as I know, every tourney has the same pins, green speed and wind strength for all players (apart from WGT tiered weeklies and monthlies, of course), making showdowns the only exception.

• PAGES
RSS