Forums

Help › Forums

Trouble Updating? Read this.

Wed, Mar 2 2022 5:26 PM (8 replies)
  • WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 12:51 PM

There are too many threads and not enough people reading solutions. 

If you open the game and it says update and you close the game and reopen it and says update again in a never ending loop, this means that you are opening golf.exe directly. This is the application that will open when you hit the PLAY NOW button from the website (I'm trying to get that changed so we don't have this issue again). 

To update, you need to open Launcher.exe. 

This is likely an icon shortcut on your desktop called "WGT Launcher" if you didn't change any settings when installing it. 

If it's not on your desktop, go into your files and navigate to C:/Program Files/Topgolf/WGTLauncher and run Launcher.exe from there. 

Depending on your computer the Program Files folder may be different and have numbers following it like Program Files(x32), Program Files(x64), Program Files(x86), etc..

Opening the Launcher will allow you to receive the update and leave you with a nice PLAY button to open golf.exe from there. 

_CHAMPION

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:12 PM

Thanks Champ.

From here on out, we can direct players that are coming to the Forums to this thread.

Much appreciated.

Don

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 3:54 PM

This is good and useful information, thanks. 

Thanks also to Don and Sam and others who have been posting similar solutions in the various threads over the last few days.

There is a member in my club who has been experiencing the same issue, however he is not using the desktop version as he currently only uses his iPhone. These instructions do not cover that platform, so any thoughts about how he progresses?

Nigel.

• amb1923
    223 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:45 PM

WGTChampion:

If it's not on your desktop, go into your files and navigate to C:/Program Files/Topgolf/WGTLauncher and run Launcher.exe from there. 

Depending on your computer the Program Files folder may be different and have numbers following it like Program Files(x32), Program Files(x64), Program Files(x86), etc..

Opening the Launcher will allow you to receive the update and leave you with a nice PLAY button to open golf.exe from there. 

_CHAMPION

Thanks, Champion - I appreciate your attempt to help those of us who can't run the game off our laptop/desktop at the moment.

Here's my problem though: Since I'm on Mac, I obviously can't run the golf.exe file. But if I open up the contents folder of the application and then open the MacOS folder, I can get to the launcher. When I use the launcher, I get to the "play" button. When I click on the "play" button, the game still stalls on the "Loading" page and won't move off of it. I've deleted and re-installed the game three times and to no avail. I also can't get it to launch from Steam either - same thing.

Got any ideas about how to proceed from here?? It's super-aggravating.

Scott 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:02 PM

What I can't comprehend is why you WGT have given us two .exe files instead of one and create this confusion in the first place. 🙄 As you mentioned Champ, it should be addressed as soon as possible.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 10:04 PM

WGTChampion:

Yep.  And then when people click that PLAY button, they get stuck on the LOADING screen, at the point where it says "Checking for application update..."

THAT'S THE PROBLEM

• HBrodmann
    3 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2021 6:40 PM

So, I've done this and have opened the game.  I get to some kind of home screen with music playing and nothing else happens.  Please let me know when the game will be working correctly and I'll come back then.  Right now, there is obviously a problem.  

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2021 2:06 AM

WGTChampion:
    Make sure to give it admin rights - by account or by "run as admin".

Unfunny fact: CS didn't know this on Feb 10, when they issued an irrelevant answer to my request via "contact WGT".

• maggie560
    1 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2022 5:26 PM

How do I get to launcher

WGTChampion:

There are too many threads and not enough people reading solutions. 

If you open the game and it says update and you close the game and reopen it and says update again in a never ending loop, this means that you are opening golf.exe directly. This is the application that will open when you hit the PLAY NOW button from the website (I'm trying to get that changed so we don't have this issue again). 

This is likely an icon shortcut on your desktop called "WGT Launcher" if you didn't change any settings when installing it. 

_CHAMPION

RSS