Forums

Help › Forums

Maybe I gotta Upgrade some More..

Tue, Feb 2 2021 9:14 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Markofteja
    251 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 5:58 PM

I am at level 48 and till a few levels ago I was using all starter equipment.  Recently I got me a new driver (Titlieist TS2) and a set of irons (Titleist 718 AP2). 

Now I am wondering if I should get wedges, coz in many guides I read that wedges are super important. I am confused as to which ones to get.

A lot of people seem to recommend Titleist vokeys. I am also getting a great Steam deal on the TaylorMade Milled Grind 52° Wedge and the TaylorMade Milled Grind 60° Wedge. 

I understand that the high trajectory is important but beyond that not much as I am not a golfer in real life. Any help will be much appreciated. 

• Markofteja
    251 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 8:31 PM

Also I got about 4k Credits to spend. 

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 10:17 PM

Looking at the clubs in your bag right now, this is what I'd recommend:

1.  Remove the hybrid.  You won't need it, since your Titleist 718 AP2 irons already cover that distance.

2.  If you purchase the Birdie Bundle on Steam (which is a great deal for the credits alone), put those 2 new TM wedges in your bag and keep the WGT Starter Lob Wedge in your bag.  That will give you 3 wedges with 50 - 77 - 105 yard spacing.  

Then play with the TM wedges for a few rounds.  If you like them, keep them.  If you don't, sell them back to the Pro Shop and buy something else.

3.  Consider getting a decent 3W to fill in the gap between your irons (205 yds) and driver (269 yds).  You can either buy that Mizuno ST200 3 Wood (L48+) you just rented if you liked it, or wait until you reach level 51 and look at the Callaway MAVRIK Sub Zero 3 Wood (L51+).

Also, I'd strongly recommend joining a different country club.  The owner of the one you're in now looks like he's been gone from the game for 6 months.  

• Markofteja
    251 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 11:22 PM

My word, you guys are geniuses at coming up with answers. Thanx a lot man. Appreciate it.

Yeah i've been meaning to look for a good country club. Will get on it :)

• beerstine
    665 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 2:42 AM

I bought those TM wedges in the Steam bundle.  They are a bargain for the price but I don't think they're as good as the Vokeys.  I learned their quirks and did OK, but they are medium trajectory and you'll have to learn how to adjust your play for the extra roll on your chips and pitches.  The Vokeys have a better chance of stopping with full backspin. Dump the hybrid and get a 64 degree wedge for the shots by the green.

Those AP2 irons are the best you can get until the L59 Pings.  I had them and they do play well.  The long irons are a bit hard to stop on uphill approaches but other than that, they're terrific.  They'll last you a long time.

The Cally L51 3 Wood is a good choice that will last you until the L80s at least.

• Markofteja
    251 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 3:14 AM

I bought the Steam bundle coz what the hell. If nothing else they will last me for a bit. Between the Cally L51 and the Mizuno I am leaning towards the latter coz of better stats on paper and also coz it's meter speed is close to my other clubs. Also coz the 10% discount !

Now it's time to learn how to read win. Goddamit I sound like a sorcerer again..

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 8:07 AM

beerstine:

get a 64 degree wedge for the shots by the green.

This is a must for improving scores! And I highly recommend the Vokey. The starter wedges are useless.

• Markofteja
    251 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2021 9:00 PM

The level 31 wokeys?

I had planned to get away with my current clubs until level 80 when the high end Vokeys became available. Bit I guess I will have to upgrade right away. I do feel the need for a better club at that yardage before the green.

• PAGES
RSS