Forums

Help › Forums

Mizuno ST200 3wood L90+

Thu, Dec 23 2021 2:46 PM (36 replies)
  • BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 9:34 AM

borntobesting:

Isn't 8 yards a lot to give up? Plus I don't find the level 99 Callaway that far off what it should do except on very badly missed dings. I just wish it had high trajectory, 

Yes... 8 yards is a lot to give up. 

I have started carrying the Mizuno all the time, and there are times that I wish I had my 250y club. That said, for shots that you  can reach with the 242y, it plays so much better than the 250y that "I think"  it makes up for the times I wish i had the 250y with me. 

Case and point... I just came off of Merion F9 RG. The pin on 2 was up front 241 yards away for me, uphill with a 12-14 cross wind. I was able to carry the bunker, stop the ball on the lower level of the green, and make the eagle putt. I know this is only one example, but I have had a similar shot to that many times, and I know I couldn't stop my 250y in those conditions. 

I would compare the difference in performance to most 4 iron compared to 3 iron shots. When you have a shot that comes out to the right distance for your 4 iron, how well can you play that same shot by taking some off of your 3 iron?

NOTE: I am not advocating for the Mizuno, or even saying it is the right choice for me all the time, but when the circumstances call for a high loft 230y - 242y shot, there is no comparison as to which is best. Just like there is no comparison to which is best when you need to chase your ball up the green from 265y out on Chambers #8.... #wishihadmy250

• Slimjim001
    1,024 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 9:41 AM

Yes it is a lot of yards to give up but I have heard numerous top players say how difficult it is to control the approach shot with the Callaway 250 in strong wind and I may find that it was too much to trade off and I'll put my Callaway back in the bag.   lol

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 9:46 AM

eventually a bean counter at WGT will figure out how much money they would make on a 250 yard, high trajectory, decent precision and forgiveness 3W and they will release one. 

whatever level they put it at... every person above that level will buy the thing. huge influx of cash.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 9:55 AM

Mythanatos:

eventually a bean counter at WGT will figure out how much money they would make on a 250 yard, high trajectory, decent precision and forgiveness 3W and they will release one. 

whatever level they put it at... every person above that level will buy the thing. huge influx of cash.

+1

Yup... always leave us wanting more and taking time to get it to us. lol

I think they should come out with a 300+ Driver. Make it way longer than the current longest. Make it play amazing when hit perfectly. Then make it totally erratic if not hit perfectly.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 12:51 PM

Mythanatos:

Agreed.  That and a 64° Callaway wedge.

They could also make apparel items in the Pro Shop giftable.

It almost seems like they don't even want to make money.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:29 PM

SamSpayed:
    That and a 64° Callaway wedge.

WGT can only put on here what the companies putting equipment on here will allow them to. So it would appear that Callaway doesn't want a Callaway 64 degree wedge on WGT. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:33 PM

borntobesting:
    So it would appear that Callaway doesn't want a Callaway 64 degree wedge on WGT. 

My question is obviously... Why the hell not?!

• giraldin
    3,712 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2021 8:04 AM

I saw it, I rented it, I used it, I bought it. What really caught my attention about this wood is its high trajectory, giving a result with the full back spin that seemed promising. The question now is in which field to use it and in which certain conditions. Anyway, I have it in my bag, and at the moment I am sacrificing distance for precision, although I don't always use it.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Mar 17 2021 3:58 AM

I bought it 2 weeks ago and used it in every round until this morning when I sold it back, First the high trajectory isn't that much of a difference overall due to the difference in spin, That 0.5 extra spin  on the Callaway Rogue Sub Zero makes the Sub Zero go as high as the Mizuno and in some cases even higher. There were a couple of spots @ Olympic where the Mizuno clipped a tree where the Callaway cleared the tree easily. Plus the 1.5 extra forgiveness of the Mizuno doesn't seem as much as you would think 1.5 would. So  contrary to what some may think as it is now the Mizuno isn't as good as the Callaway, 

• PrawnHeadSquirt
    2 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 7:09 PM

Been using Mizuno L90 for several weeks and love it . .  Never thought I would say love and 3 wood in the same sentence. To hit a 3 wood and it consistently goes where you aim is a new found joy and any apparent drop in distance which I’ve not really noticed from my old Callie (now sold back) is well worth it for th accuracy Mizuno gives you IMO. 

RSS