Forums

Help › Forums

Mizuno ST200 3wood L90+

Thu, Dec 23 2021 2:46 PM (36 replies)
  • russellsvpickett
    139 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 5:28 AM

Been looking at this club too, very interesting even if only a slight upgrade on the L86 Callaway.

Anyone know if there are any other Mizuno clubs expected!?  How do we get visibility on this or do they just drop randomly!?  Releasing one 3 wood just seems a bit weird....

Thanks

Russ

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 12:40 PM

BWerthy:
    Do you notice much difference in the med/high trajectory 3W versus a high trajectory club?  I really like how a ball hit using the L86 can drop down with fbs. 

Hi Brian.  I know you addressed this question to borntobesting, but since it's been a week and he hasn't responded, I'll give you my thoughts.  I own both the L86 Callaway Sub Zero (high) and the L99 (med/high).  I'd say they play very similar, as the L99 has a 1.5 spin rating, which somewhat counteracts the loss of trajectory.  But the extra 8 yards is huge, so I use the L99.  

I talked to another player (TC / excellent player) the other night during an AS game, who had the Mizuno in his bag.  He said the Mizuno is a very nice club to hit.  Because of its huge 5.5 forgiveness, he said the sweet spot (the light blue area on the meter surrounding the ding) is much wider.  He said he will probably end up swapping it for his L99 Sub Zero for certain situations but won't play it every day.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:18 PM

FWIW I read a number of reviews and listening while a member of our club offered to rent and test. Everything I read was mostly positive, with the only negative being loss of distance. I decided to give it a go and purchased one. Yes, great forgiveness and much to my surprise I am averaging 250 yds from the fairway with the club, the same yardage I got with my lvl 99 Callie. 

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2021 2:09 PM

Thanks Scott.  Since all the best clubs (IMO which is just my opinion) are high trajectory, I was curious why someone might go back to a lower lofted club. This clearly explains it. 

Wgt is gonna have to have a lot of rentals available when the free rental day comes next, I’m guessing lots of folks will be taking it for a test drive.  

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2021 7:57 AM

I have been playing around a bit with the Mizuno L90 3w. it seemed to me that the arch was noticeably higher than my med/high 250y Fusion. The meter on the Mizuno is 4.0 and the Fusion is 4.2. However, with the larger striking area, it seems to me that I can control the shot better with the Mizuno, although that may just be me due to the visual.

Last night I did a quick test of both clubs trying for the same thing to see if it verified what I thought I was seeing. This is not very scientific, as the sample is so small (5 shots total), but it did what I expected and what I thought I had been seeing. 

First was 3 shots from the tee at Bethpage. One full shot with the Fusion on full backspin. Then one shot with the Fusion adjusting to the 242y rating of the Mizuno. Then one full shot with full backspin from the Mizuno. Once again, all shots were full backspin.

Fusion @ Full power: 269y carry / 0 roll / 129' Apex

Fusion @ 96% power 259y carry / 1y roll / 111' Apex

Mizuno @ Full power 262y carry / 1y roll / 117' Apex

Next I put the ball out in the fairway with 229y/230y to the pin. I played both clubs the best I could with full backspin. I had my usual miss (slightly early on both shots, but slightly better with the Mizuno). On both shots I got the distance exactly right (a small miracle), and both shots were as I expected in relation to how they were hit. On these shots you can see a much bigger difference in the arch and the roll.

Fusion @ 92% power 215y carry / 14y roll / 69' Apex

Mizuno @ 94% power 220y carry / 10y roll / 78' Apex

Both clubs play very well (other than I hate hitting a 3w for my lack of control with it). I think it is always better to be able to take as close to a full swing as possible for best performance. My conclusion is what I had expected. It is a little easier "for me" to control the Mizuno. The high loft carries better and lands better for shots that can be reached with it. At the same time, it is virtually useless for holes that take the 250y 3w to reach. 

The Mizuno is a great club to have for some situations (those that can be reached with it), and I like having it, but I am not about to give up my Fusion on a course like Oakmont, Pinehurst, or Erin Hills.

I would be interested to know if anyone has compared the Mizuno to a 242y 3w with med/high loft.

Brett

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2021 8:06 AM

If the game goes the way of apparel, then I am not sure the club is worth it given maxed out irons are around 241y for the 3i and for me I find that distance on a 3i very nice alternative to dialing back a 3wd.  

But it is nice to see the comparison with the other 3wd in play.  

Oh and if someone forego's the SE driver hat and they are a hybrid lover I believe a maxed out hybrid is 243y.

So for those who despise the 3wd... there are alternatives if you want to tinker with apparel.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2021 8:48 AM

el3n1:

If the game goes the way of apparel

Very true. 

I don't play in games with apparel except for Showdowns, and even then it is just to make a buck. I don't take it serious enough to worry about apparel. So my comments come from the perspective of "non-apparel" play. I realize there are many players who only play with apparel and in those type of games. I have no idea what works best for them.

• russellsvpickett
    139 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2021 9:00 AM

Cicero733:

FWIW I read a number of reviews and listening while a member of our club offered to rent and test. Everything I read was mostly positive, with the only negative being loss of distance. I decided to give it a go and purchased one. Yes, great forgiveness and much to my surprise I am averaging 250 yds from the fairway with the club, the same yardage I got with my lvl 99 Callie. 

This is interesting as a previous review on this thread was suggesting that the ball flight was considerably lower than the L85 Callie, hence the loss of distance, but when I checked the ball flight was HIGH, same as the Callie.

Fills me with greater confidence in investing when I get to L90.

I really hope others follow soon from Mizuno, been getting a bit bored with whats on offer and I love an upgrade, lol!!

Thanks

Russ

• Slimjim001
    1,024 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2021 10:34 AM

After listening to Brett and Scott, I decided to rent a Mizuno 3W. My thinking was that it might be worth sacraficing some distance for accuracy. My Callaway L-99+ has often given me fits with its radical behavior when making my approach. I gave the Mizuno some field testing today and I believe it is considerably more stable that my Callaway. In past years, I have believed that more is better with it comes to how far my Driver and 3W traveled but I have come to the conclusion that in the long run, accuracy is the better choice...at least for me. By the way, since I no longer play any coin games, I have disabled all my apparel enhancements.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2021 8:46 AM

Isn't 8 yards a lot to give up? Plus I don't find the level 99 Callaway that far off what it should do except on very badly missed dings. I just wish it had high trajectory, 

RSS