Forums

Help › Forums

screen resolution

Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:04 AM (55 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 3:32 PM

Yiannis1970:
    He plays fullscreen Scott. In order to maintain the resolution on fullscreen mode, he has to set up the GPU to maintain the aspect ratio/resolution, otherwise he will have a full upscaled image. On window mode there's no issue.

I'm wondering if he has set up his GPU to upscale the game window, that would explain the jagged edges and blurry text if he set the game to 800x600. A 600px tall window scaled up to fill a 1080px high monitor is going to look rubbish.

You and I both have AMD software and can upscale an 800x600 game window from this default resolution...

...to this upscaled but correct aspect ratio...

...or this upscaled and distorted from 4:3 aspect to 16:9...

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 4:00 PM

Scott I have changed nothing in the nvidia control panel, all is running at default settings.

I run nvidia type cards, actually gigabyte.  gtx1030, gtx570, and gtx1060.  And the jagged and blurry is probably more associated with the  AA settings on your card.

My resolution discussion goes back in time and current gaming.  this  22 inch wide monitor is set to 1600x900 my other is set to 1920x1080, if I go in game and set game resolution to 800x600, one the game is actually now too large for the screen and it looks like crap.  This would be in a windows mode.  Even in full screen there is no detail.  800x600 is too pixelated and grainy appearing.  It was even worse with a CRT.  Granted it appears that the game pictures don't change per different resolutions, but the software that is layered onto the game does.  For me anyway, and I believe others, that is why the game, from moving the aimer, to the speed of the meter, to the width of the lines, to the length of the meter all display differently with different game resolutions, even in a windowed mode environment.

Yes I could probably go into my GPU card settings and change things, but for just this game, it is not gonna happen.

• ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 3:29 AM

I do not understand Gary, how an 800x600 window is too big for a monitor resolution of 1600x900.

If I set my monitor to 1600x900, this is how the game looks when set to 800x600...

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 4:13 AM

Most of the things you describe Gary are correct. A 800 x 600 pic upscaled on a monitor with native resolution 1600 x 900 or 1920 x 1080 looks rubbish and blurry cause the resolution is so small (on second occasion will be even worse). However, i have the same question that Scott did. How a 800 x 600 is too big for a monitor 1600 x 900? If you play window mode (look up Scott's pic above). If you play full screen, it's going to cover the whole frame with black bars and it will be blurry.

Another thing i would like to mention is about scalers. Not every scaler does the same good upscaling job with low resolution pics. I have an example on this video below.

and go to 7th minute of the video.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 4:28 AM

Scott, i won't be talking at all about the blur thing of a low resolution pic which is upscaled to 1080, cause it's quite obvious. As for the jaggies, i would presume they are caused from sharpening the image. As i have said many times, wgt guys had in their hands only the original pics with the low resolution. So, what can you do when you need to use the same pictures to create various resolutions and most importantly with different aspect ratio? You need to crop them on the horizontal axis and rescaled them. But they didn't stop only to that...in order to give a pseudo 1080 impression, they had to sharpen the image in order to look somehow as a high resolution pic. Sharpening creates jaggies to the picture especially when you are overdoing it. I believe that's the case here....

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 6:52 AM

Yiannis or Scott, do you know of any way of taking a screen shot in full screen?  I tried within the game on steam, and what you see as the screen shot is not the same as what you see on your computer screen.  I also tried using paint after switching back to windowed and all I get is a pasting of the desktop.

Also, something strange that I ran into.  I am running win7 on this computer and just using the windows programs on it to view pictures. When viewing the picture is shows a dimension which I believe is the resolution.  When I had the game set  to 1366x768 it showed that in both windowed and full.  When I changed it to 1920x1080 it showed my desktop resolution of 1600x900 in both.  I then closed down and restarted the game within steam still at 1920x1080 both the first 2(windowed and full) it showed as 1508x818, after checking and resaving in settings 1920x1080(it was still reading that resolution) it then started showing 1920x1080.  1024x768 showed as that in both windowed and full.  This maybe happening to other people as I have seen complaints of the bottom of the screen hidden by the taskbar.  It just involves a restart of the game to fix itself.

The for wanting to take screen shots in full, is what I see on the computer screen is not what steams screenshots show.  When I first switched from 1366 to 1920, ingame most of the meter was hidden by the taskbar in windowed, hidden by bottom of the screen in full, this changed after a restart.

And through steam there is noway I have found to get access to other resolutions other the the four that are listed for the game in settings.

• ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 7:43 AM

garyk49:
    Yiannis or Scott, do you know of any way of taking a screen shot in full screen?

How about using a phone or tablet?

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 8:01 AM

ScottHope:

garyk49:
    Yiannis or Scott, do you know of any way of taking a screen shot in full screen?

How about using a phone or tablet?

The phone would be my choice.  Was just wondering if a different way.  I tried the alt/enter and others that are supposed to switch between full and windows, but those are actually for within browsers, not within the game.

• ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 8:16 AM

Going back to your previous question about getting different resolutions in Steam. The control key trick works for that too, for me anyway.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2021 8:35 AM

ok I might try that except Steams screenshots are not true to what is displayed on screen.  Prime example of such, when in windowed mode I see my desktop around the capture, in the steam screenshot it show white screen around the capture. I have them but not uploaded, I don't think it will change to what I actually see.

RSS