Forums

Help › Forums

screen resolution

Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:04 AM (55 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 7:13 AM

Little tip for you Yiannis. Alt + PrintScreen takes a capture of the active window so you don't have to crop an image of your entire desktop. ; )

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 7:32 AM

Thanks for the tip my friend!

:)

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 7:42 AM

Yiannis1970:

Actually is pretty easy to know what resolution you are running Gary. First off all, when you do this ''trick'' and pic let's say a 1600 x 900 when you close the game and reopen it, will open at the same resolution you picked 1600 x 900, no matter what the settings are saying.

Ok, I pretty much understand all of this, it's using 3rd party software to see what resolution you were running.  Big question arises tho, you are running in a windowed screen.  I run everything in full screen, and not much seems to change using full screen, other then the layers added within the program, but you still cant see what resolution you are running, if not reported correctly in settings.  Your window size changed dramatically when you changed screen resolution, you see no change in full screen.

Maybe you can go here or there within windows to see what resolution you are running, but alot of people here barely know how to turn the computer on, let alone search through windows to find something.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 8:14 AM

Now i understand what is your issue. No, if you play fullscreen mode, you can't tell which resolution you are using (except the 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions, which are quite obvious). All the rest available resolutions have a 16:9 aspect ratio, so the resolution you pick is going to be scaled up/down to your monitor's native resolution in fullscreen mode.

It's normal that you can't see any differences in FS mode apart the CGI staff, cause the native resolution of the original pics is the same. Sometime back, i uploaded 2 pics. One was from the browser (flash) and the other one was fullscreen 1080 from the launcher....guess which one was better!!

LOL

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 10:49 AM

Some may or may not have noticed a difference, remember they/we are only going to see what our/their GPU/Monitor is capable of displaying.  It's a input/output thing.  So some may have not actually seen the same thing that you saw as posted.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 11:09 AM

Yiannis1970:

so the resolution you pick is going to be scaled up/down to your monitor's native resolution in fullscreen mode.

LOL

My experience with screen resolution is this, 800x600 or larger has jagged edges, larger objects just bigger overall.  text is big  1024x768 edges are smoother objects are smaller image is clearer. test is smaller 1920x1080 edges very smooth objects are smaller image is ever clearer. text becomes harder to read without magnification .  You can see this on monitors and tvs.  If you get up into even higher resolutions things become even clearer and text becomes smaller.  this is with changing nothing else other then screen resolution.  What you showed on your video, your screen size changed, if it would have stayed the same size text would have been much harder to read.  Maybe that is the big difference between running windowed versus full.

Isn't it going to be up/down scaled to what resolution you have your monitor set to?  Native is recommened, is it not?  If I set game settings to 1920x1080 I can not ding worth a darn(this is where I referenced too percise.)  I have mine set to 1600x900 and have to have web papes set to display at 110% to better read the text.  My native for both monitor and GPU are both 1920x1080.  If I set that I have to set web pages to 150% or higher for reading.  In both cases browser full screen fits left to right and top to bottom with a taskbar after stretching.  So actually I am not running full screen with browsing, but running a sort of maximized.  I don't use the center button top right to maximize as some browsers(Chrome was one on them) would expand to behind the task bar, and at that point, there was no way to grab either the bottom or lower right corner of the screen.  My taskbar is always visible, not hidden, when browser.  I know this has nothing to do with the new version of WGT, but just thought I would add.  I hate having to put glasses on just to read something, such as the green speed on the NV.  That should only be a font/style change, providing they left enough spacing in what they have written. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 11:44 AM

Magnifying or changing the text dpi Gary, has nothing to do with the native resolution of your monitor. 

As for the rest of your post...you 've lost me...

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 12:29 PM

garyk49:

Isn't it going to be up/down scaled to what resolution you have your monitor set to?  Native is recommened, is it not? 

Yes. Is what i said on a previous post. As for your second question, yes again.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 1:26 PM

Gary, when you have the game window set to a resolution of say 800x600 on your monitor (1920x1080). Does the game window look roughly the size of the red box in relation to the black box (monitor) in the image below, or does it fill the screen more?...

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 2:33 PM

He plays fullscreen Scott. In order to maintain the resolution on fullscreen mode, he has to set up the GPU to maintain the aspect ratio/resolution, otherwise he will have a full upscaled image. On window mode there's no issue.

RSS