Forums

Help › Forums

screen resolution

Fri, Jan 29 2021 6:04 AM (55 replies)
  • PhilMcCrevice4
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2021 6:30 PM

On my ASUS laptop i was playing,the game screen was large . Now its so small i can hardly see it...what happened?I have tried everyting on my end.

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 9:58 AM

Make the game fullscreen click

...then you should be able to get to the settings cog to set your desired resolution.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 10:03 AM

Scott-What's the difference between maximized and full screen? I play in full screen with zero issues, including the meter.

Also, the fix for a tiny screen that WGT Sham laid out says to hold the CTRL key down when starting the game to get to the resolutions if you get a postage stamp sized screen. Is your fix a different version of that?

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 10:21 AM

I guess a maximized window does not obscure your taskbar, whereas fullscreen is exactly that, covers your entire monitor.

It doesn't really matter what method you use to expand the game window if it's too small to use, as long as the result is big enough to access the settings cog.

Shams method is quicker with more options, mine is slower and covers the taskbar and it's what I'm used to suggesting to people with problems. I'm just stuck in a rut I guess.  ; )

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 10:47 AM

Have tried 4-5 new resolutions (with the new method). Changed the graphics in various settings as well. NO difference whatesoever. All the 16:9 resolutions have the usual cropped image and the meter is the same.

For those who don't know it, every time we change resolution, we don't actually add pixels to the original pics. If for instance i have a picture with native resolution 4:3 1024 x 768 = 786.432 pixels and change it to 1920 x 1080 = 2.073.600 pixels, that does not mean that i add 2.073.600 - 768.432 = 1.305.168 pixels. I just scaled my original pic to another resolution.

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 3:48 PM

ScottHope:

I guess a maximized window does not obscure your taskbar, whereas fullscreen is exactly that, covers your entire monitor.

The above is pretty much correct.  Maximized changes the screen to cover the entire area of your monitor except the taskbar.  Same thing can be accomplished by stretching the window to all corners of your monitor, x out of the screen and it will open just how you closed it.

Shams method is quicker with more options, mine is slower and covers the taskbar and it's what I'm used to suggesting to people with problems. I'm just stuck in a rut I guess.  ; )

Scott I have not tried your script for changing screen size, but for me anyway Shams does nothing.  I started using the control to get the small screen resolution screen, I changed my screen to 1600x900 the same resolution that I run my desktop in.  When I looked at the settings it still showed me as 1366x768, nothing had changed.  I tried other resolutions and also changed to windowed, instead of full screen.  In all cases when I went to settings within the game it still showed me as a setting of 1366x768.  What drew me to checking is when in game I did not notice any difference.  Did I do something wrong, or does Sham's not work???

If I change my desktop resolution, I will see a change in my desktop.  About the only time I noticed any change is if I change the game to 1920x1080, and to me with my eyesight it makes everything too fine and precise.

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 3:56 PM

No, you didn't do anything wrong Gary. These are extras resolutions which means while they work properly, they do not get registered as standard resolutions under settings tab. So, you can have 1600 x 900 and your settings say u play 1024 x 768.

Another thing guys...if you are using a laptop with a certain resolution, let's say 1366 x 768, you can't be playing resolution more than this. Actually you can, but the monitor will scaled the image down (the so called downscaling) in order to fit into your screen. When i open a 8K resolution image on my 1080 desktop, i receive a downscaled image cause my monitor is only 2K resolution.

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 4:10 PM

garyk49:

If I change my desktop resolution, I will see a change in my desktop.  About the only time I noticed any change is if I change the game to 1920x1080, and to me with my eyesight it makes everything too fine and precise.

Need to ask you something Gary. When you say ''everything is too fine and precise'' you mean you  can read the words on settings better or about the pics on the game?

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 4:10 PM

Maybe I am not understanding or not explaining myself well.

Here is an example of what resolutions mean(at least to me)  I am a long time gamer, but I do golf also.  Back when, when running a sub standard GPU, I used to run most games at 1024x768 and the games would run fine.  At some point during the game, due do a lot going on, on the screen, because of the sub standard card, I would encounter quite abit of stutter.  1024x768 gave me more ingame detail, when the stuttering started, I would change the game to 800x600, less detail but smoother game play, once beyond the stuttering area of the game, I could change it back to 1024x768 and be fine.

Years later now running better GPU's and run everything 1920x1080 and have the detail and no stutter at any time.

Makes me think the people having meter stutter and not running a decent GPU or very good onboard graphics are trying to run at too high of a resolution, if I go back to what I used to see.

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2021 4:16 PM

Yiannis1970:

garyk49:

Need to ask you something Gary. When you say ''everything is too fine and precise'' you mean you  can read the words on settings better or about the pics on the game?

To me the entire screen is sharper.  And this is a cheap dual core older machine, but I do have a gtx1030 in it.  Even when I had the gtx570 in it, it was sharper.

If I do it on by win10 machine it is even sharper.  That is a I5-8400 running a gtx1060.

Settings screen yes, even the wording on game screen.  Actually it makes it even harder to read green speed and wind, any of the writing.

RSS