Forums

Help › Forums

S.S. Pebble Beach Pro-Am

Tue, Feb 1 2022 10:12 AM (149 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,024 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 9:29 AM

I shot a 70 on my first round. Had a good game goine until the last four holes then into the toilet...lol

• Gepetto1958
    4,220 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 9:46 AM

Dustin Johnson will be very popular if no symptom of course. We'll see until the 10th.

• Gogsy1979
    32 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 9:55 AM

BPeterson, for some reason my entry didn’t go in, maybe because my posts are still being moderator approved. I had tried to enter with Tyler Duncan as my partner as he has the same surname as me.... am I too late?

• stevedavies500
    1,866 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 1:37 PM

After a little lunch and a rest of the legs I braved the high winds again and shot a -4 (68)

Have fun everyone and keep it in the short stuff

Steve

• Carrvet
    1,118 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 1:53 PM

I shot a 76 on my first attempt. Had a 10 that killed me.

• AlaskanDame
    18,964 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 2:43 PM

Ya know what I like about the Pebble Beach course?

1. the stunning views;

2.  getting to deal with negative and near-negative numbers in the putting formula;

3.  the sheer (or is that shear?) optimism (recklessness?) involved in placing my aim out over a chasm or down on a beach and still hoping to hit near the pin with a 28 mph sidewind.

The highlight of my first round though was when the Rules Official tracked me down while I was in the sand below one of the cliffs, collecting some unique rock specimens.  He said I was unduly delaying the game.  “Unduly?” I said, incredulous.  “How can you name a course ‘Pebble Beach’ and not realize that’s a siren call for everyone to look for ocean pebbles during a round!?”  He was not amused, and that’s when the Senior Rules Official arrived.  Same start to the conversation.  But I also added, “That’s like naming a course St. Andrews and not realizing people will stop to pray for help, especially when the wind screams out of the heath.”  She was not amused either.  So, I trudged back up to the fairway with my “quarry,” and continued the round.

Sufficeth to say, my concentration was broken.  The F9 -5 was joined by only a -2 B9.  However, there were cheering moments:  lots of putts from fringe, one of which went in (!) and 100% on scrambling and sand saves.  While I hope for better next time, and I’m a bit worried that Confucius says: “Bird in hand make hard to blow nose,” I’ve carded the first round at 

• diehard4793
    527 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 4:38 PM

a lil bit of practice i was able to shave off a stroke with an eve par 72 for the first round.  Got to love those winds blowing.  Was able to squeak out a 74 on the 2nd round.  Hope my man Speith has a strong back to carry a heavy load.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 4:44 PM

My first round was good for the conditions (high winds & 14 speed greens). I played well to post a 61, but left a couple easy ones out there on the back 9, including a par on #18 after leaving myself what should have been an easy up and down from 31y in the middle of the fairway. I gave the wind too much credit on approach and slammed the downhill putt through the break. 🤬

Speaking of conditions... This was suppose to be a worry free tournament with mild conditions, but I was unable to get a response from WGT (after a month of trying) about setting up a tournament for us. So kudos to all of you who face the hurricane winds on the glass top greens. 

• brianmartin56
    781 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 5:04 PM

Pebble Beach first round....62

I don't mind the 14 speed greens so much, but the gale force winds had me scrambling from the rough a few times :)

2 bogeys and 2 eagles. Pretty happy with my score.

Brian

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2021 5:27 PM

Gogsy1979:

BPeterson, for some reason my entry didn’t go in, maybe because my posts are still being moderator approved. I had tried to enter with Tyler Duncan as my partner as he has the same surname as me.... am I too late?

You are not too late... I got you down w/ Tyler Duncan

February 10th is deadline to pick a partner

February 13th is deadline to play your rounds

RSS