Forums

Help › Forums

S.S. Pebble Beach Pro-Am

Tue, Feb 1 2022 10:12 AM (149 replies)
  • paulgreen79
    389 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 12:48 PM

Got Rd2 out of the way too. Played better in the wind but didn’t make the birdies my approaches possibly gave me

paulgreen79 - 67

• diehard4793
    527 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 1:31 PM

Wasnt so nice out there today really had to struggle to make a 74 for the second round.  Hope my man Speith has a strong back to carry a heavy load 

• brianmartin56
    781 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 3:14 PM

Round 2.....63

(round 1...62)

Brian

• SamSpayed
    4,888 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 4:02 PM

A bogey-free 62 for Round 1 at Pebble for me.

Made the turn at -6 with a tap-in eagle on #6 and a scramble on #9.  After that it was 4 straight putts and a bunker punch all within inches of the cup.  Luck had deserted me and I was beginning to think I'd finish even par for the B9.  Then a tap-in bird on #15, a chip-in from above the hole on #16, a flop to the edge of the cup on #17, and a nice 56-foot eagle putt with 11 feet of break on #18 to salvage the round.  

I confess I had forgotten what antipodal meant and had to refresh my memory.  Great word.  Reminded me of the 1st verse of a They Might Be Giants song.

• Jag001
    1,453 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 4:53 PM

Oh well got out and braved the wind, all things considered I played as well as I could.

Bogeys on both front and back 9 ruined what could have been a very good round.  It could be my imagination, however I think many of the putts that either lipped out or just slid past the hole were wind affected. Once I started to consider and make allowances for this the putts started to drop.

Recovering on the back 9 to finish with a 64 for the round 1

cheers,

Jeff

• AlaskanDame
    18,953 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 8:25 PM

SamSpayed:
    nice 56-foot eagle putt with 11 feet of break on #18
    Now that’s the proper way to play #18!  Wow.

• Cas57
    3,036 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 8:36 PM

Out in 31 In in 33 for a bogey free 64.

Only real excitement was a near hole in one on the 5th hole.....1" short! 

I've been fortunate enough to play Pebble a few times and can say it's exponentially harder in real life.  Just reading the greens and hitting putts is an adventure.

• Cas57
    3,036 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 8:40 PM

The first time I played Pebble, on the very first hole I have about a 12 footer for birdie, left to right and a little downhill. 

My caddie asks me how I read the putt and I say "Oh, about 10" left and gonna hit it about 9ft"

He says, "speed sounds ok but you better add about 12" to 14" to that break"

"What!"

I split the difference and hit it about 16" left.  I missed it by at least 6" under the hole and thought it was going to stop a foot away.  It kept going and going and going at a snails pace,  had a 7 footer coming back that I missed.

The absolute most fortunate was 1992, I answered an ad in the SF Chronicle that read, "2 nights stay and 1 round of golf on the Monterey Peninsula, $200.00".  When I called, the dates were only for June 3, 4, and leaving June 5, It turned out to be a condo overlooking the 18th green for 2 nights and the round of golf on Pebble 2 weeks before the US Open.

I had a 10am tee time.  I got a call at 8:15 from my caddie asking when I'd like to go warm up at the range and I said about 8:45.  At 8:45, he showed up with a cart, put my clubs on the cart and drove me to the range.  When I was done hitting with each club, he would take it from me and clean it off then about 9:45 he drove me to the 1st tee, left the cart, grabbed my bag and off we went at 10. 

What was cool was they had already started grooming the course for the US Open, fairways cut closer than most greens I played on, rough that covered your shoes, sand that was actually "soft"  and greens like a linoleum floor.

They treated us like a King and Queen the whole time, Absolutely awesome experience!

• AlaskanDame
    18,953 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2021 10:41 PM

Cas57:
    , It turned out to be a condo overlooking the 18th green for 2 nights and the round of golf on Pebble 2 weeks before the US Open.
    Very cool story, Cas.  Thanks for sharing that.  What a memory!

I can only share that I took great advantage of the spirit of Groundhog Day and played the first 3-9 holes of Pebble over and over again.  And again.  I never did repeat the initial 3 birdies that I had in the first round (which I played straight through since it wasn’t Groundhog Day), but I finally continued onward when I got 2 of the 3.  Whew!  Couldn’t stay out in those chapping and chafing conditions much longer.

66, and glad to be drinking in the clubhouse now, awaiting my hot oil massage appt.

Good luck to Louis.  Stay well, man.  

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2021 6:11 AM

I am loving reading all these experiences both in the virtual world and (assumed) real world. 😉

Leaderboard has been partially updated on page 1. (With so much I am trying to keep track of, I probably won't put it in the right order until the 11th when the PGA starts)

RSS