Forums

Help › Forums

Wolf Creek hole 17

Sat, Oct 9 2021 9:33 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 1:22 AM

Do I look and calculate something wrong...

I just played again Wolf Creek, and again too short shot at 17th hole. It shows downhill but I have to start thinking it uphill. Second shot leaves short every time, when flag is front of green. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 8:14 AM

Tepi62Ka:

I just played again Wolf Creek, and again too short shot at 17th hole. It shows downhill but I have to start thinking it uphill. Second shot leaves short every time, when flag is front of green. 

This hole tends to play long on the approach. If you ignore the downhill, it should come out about right. 

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Jan 19 2021 2:05 PM

Tepi62Ka:

The shot itself is downhill but the landing area on the green is uphill negating much of the elevation change

• Tabarnak777
    166 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2021 3:53 PM

True, this hole is kind of off range from normal state. Peable Beach hole #8 does the same, especially when you put lot of back spin with full or almost full power.

But it's not the case of all 190+ yards with some downhill shots. Some holes are unique, like these 2 holes.

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2021 3:11 PM

Tepi62Ka:

cut only 2yrd 

• Mikestorm2
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 7:02 AM

I just watched jam others play that hole he said to ignore the evaluation on it 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2021 7:43 AM

Mikestorm2:

Great tip!!! 😉😂🤣

BPeterson8256:

This hole tends to play long on the approach. If you ignore the downhill, it should come out about right. 

• Tepi62Ka
    321 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2021 1:07 AM

Mikestorm2:

Is that some kind of course secret here...or why not WGT fix it?

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2021 8:47 AM

Tepi62Ka:

Is that some kind of course secret here...or why not WGT fix it?

It is only a secret until you learn it.

There is nothing to be "fixed". Every course and every hole has variation that cause it to play different than what any math formula might lead you to believe. That is part of the challenge in the game, learning the nuances of each hole on each course.

It is also a great reflection of real golf. Watch any PGA tournament and you will most likely see a very similar situation. There are holes that virtually every player will come up short and then look baffled after having done so. 

...or watch the PGA on the greens. Virtually every tournament will have some hole that many players have almost identical putts. Then virtually all of them will misread the putt the exact same way and miss it on the same side. The commentator will tell you before they putt that everyone has been missing it on a specific side, or coming up short, and then you get to watch as yet another player has the same miss.

Learning / getting to know the courses is not only one of the biggest challenges of the game, but it is also what makes the game so fun.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Apr 21 2021 10:08 AM

It's ball and club related in regards to spin. 

It matters as to how much spin you normally use.

so pay just a little attention to someone else's yardage numbers on specific holes.

here is your tip tho:

Take notes. Just like in this case you came up short. it didn't make sense. 

Back pin plays long. The front pin plays long but not as much as the back pin.

as to specific numbers. dial it in.

Make a note to yourself or in game something like "back pin +5 if 145+ yards away +3 if less" Im not saying that[s the note. but do something like that.

there are multiple holes in the game that don't play as listed yardages.

CTTH's about 1/5 are off by enough to be worthy to make notes on. 

take notes.

• PAGES
RSS