Help › Forums

Approach shots in high winds

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 7 2021 6:39 PM (6 replies)
  • Stevo1343
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2021 3:22 AM

Hello

I've just moved up to Tour Master level and am having trouble in getting my approach shots any where near the pins because of the high winds, especially cross winds. i have a wind off set calculator which seems ok but what I don't know is how that relates to the approach grid.

Before everything was done by eye or feel, but now with 30mph cross winds its getting very difficult.

So, the question is what does the grid square actually measure in yards offset.

If I have 20 yards offset what does that mean in grid movement?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Thanks

Steven the Heathen.

• MLittle4007
    12 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2021 4:52 AM

Stevo1343:

Hello

I've just moved up to Tour Master level and am having trouble in getting my approach shots any where near the pins because of the high winds, especially cross winds. i have a wind off set calculator which seems ok but what I don't know is how that relates to the approach grid.

Before everything was done by eye or feel, but now with 30mph cross winds its getting very difficult.

So, the question is what does the grid square actually measure in yards offset.

If I have 20 yards offset what does that mean in grid movement?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Thanks

Steven the Heathen.

Hey Steven? What mode are you playing that you have 30mph winds? One of the head to head games? You should't have 30mph winds in stroke, match or alt shot.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2021 8:33 AM

MLittle4007:
    You should't have 30mph winds in stroke, match or alt shot.

This statement can be misleading.

More often than not, the WGT Monthly 18 Hole Unlimited tournaments (Wolf Creek, St. Andrews, Kiawah and Pebble Beach) have High Winds scenarios including 30mph possibilities.

Sometimes, even the WGT Monthly 9 Hole Unlimited tournaments can have the same high winds.

Don

• Sevvy53
    65 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2021 11:40 AM

Hi Stevo.

Check out WGT Young46 You Tube Videos on using the Aiming Box to estimate offset distance in crosswinds and try downloading the Ruler he mentions, which is another form of gauge. It might help you?

I am unsure however, if they still are ok to be used with PCEA version of game? I no longer use these aids myself as I play mostly by feel and use my experience.

Best of luck

• mikey1961
    1,680 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2021 8:09 AM

In addition to this have you tried using a punch shot from anywhere under 100yds the wind doesn't have the same effect on the punch i use it regularly and find it better than a full shot 

Mike

• Tabarnak777
    166 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2021 10:40 AM

I add between 25 and 50% from off set calc. when having such data. You can also try to do no back swing shots to lesser the effect but it can be tricky.

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2021 6:39 PM

Hi Stevo, I use the approach grid to measure. The  size I use is 27 yards per side and 38 yards on the diagonal.

As your aim marker is in the centre that is 13.5 to the sides and 19 yards to the corners. it's 3 yards a side on the boxes

Be careful when dragging the approach grid around, you aimer can move from the centre and seem to give distorted measurements but the grid itself remains true so use it a a ruler.

I find high winds need to be adjusted for, a 20 mile wind moves the ball more than double a 10 mile wind for example and it lands rolling with the wind so you have to factor that in too.

Good luck hope this helps.

RSS