Forums

Help › Forums

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed, Jan 20 2021 5:05 AM (56 replies)
  • AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 5:19 AM

You sure about the resolution? I'm fairly illiterate regarding computers, but I always thought the bigger resolution gives you a bigger game window, therefore faster dots. 

• TomCarioca
    286 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 7:04 AM

@Yiannis: how can you tell about the change in dot speed? Few month ago I started 'dot counting putting' and the formula still seem to work pretty good on launcher classic green. 

@Simon the Beetle: 'Easier' because approach shots are much more forgiving, you have the grid as a very helpful orientation for your side aim plus the meter generally runs smoother. Putting is also easier because imo the break is easier to read.

Flip side: Lip outs! Putting is far less forgiving. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 11:18 AM

AnaNikolaj:

You sure about the resolution? I'm fairly illiterate regarding computers, but I always thought the bigger resolution gives you a bigger game window, therefore faster dots. 

Yep, quite sure. The resolution is a static thing. Is the number of horizontal pixels x number of vertical pixels. The dots are a moving component (they are not part of the image) which can be measured in frames per second. And one thing more....the bigger resolution gives you smaller pixels not bigger window. That's why you can have a 24'' monitor with various native resolutions, 1080, 720, 768, 900 etc. More pixels mean more compact and clear image if you combine it with the viewing distance. Whenever you up with your resolution, let's say you buy a 4K monitor, you need to stand closer to it in order to tell the difference from a 2 K monitor.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 11:21 AM

TomCarioca:

@Yiannis: how can you tell about the change in dot speed? Few month ago I started 'dot counting putting' and the formula still seem to work pretty good on launcher classic green. 

Not on my counting putting method Tom. I needed to lower down my reference from 6 seconds to 5 point something. While in the beginning it was working just fine. Nowadays the dots are slower.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 1:47 PM

TomCarioca:

'Easier' because approach shots are much more forgiving, you have the grid as a very helpful orientation for your side aim plus the meter generally runs smoother. Putting is also easier because imo the break is easier to read.

Flip side: Lip outs! Putting is far less forgiving. 

At the end of the day, everything boils down to putting. I'd rather prefer a 15 footer on flash than a 8 footer on mobile. That's to say how difficult putting is on the new version. Even if approach shots were more forgiving, that wouldn't help much because of VEM. The closer you hit your ball to the pin, the more VEM kicks in and pushes it further away from the pin and vice versa as VEM works both ways for and against you. I know this as a fact from my experience playing it over 5 years now and this is true for both flash and mobile so those "more forgiving" approach shots are nullified even if they existed. The new version is, therefore, not any easier.

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 6:29 PM

Yiannis1970:

I will give my opinion about lipouts on the launcher. There are 2 things that they have been changed from the flash: a) the right speed to reach the hole (launcher plays definitely slower) b) the way the ball is rolling (i cannot explain it quite well but the rolling of the ball has a strange feeling, is not smooth as was on the flash). Now...in order to compensate the difference in speed, you have to adopt a more aggressive way of putting (more speedy). That means that lipouts are standing and waiting you in the corner if your ball is not center cup.

Another key point for me in putting (still working on it...i am a newby in launcher) is that every course plays differently in greens. Yes, this is not a new thing. The same was happening during flash too but on the launcher this feature is magnified. I am quite sure that when we master the putting on launcher, we won't come up with only a single formula that works with rain or shine but with many of them according the course or the green to handle. 

The reason the 'roll' of the ball on the greens feels strange is because it doesn't roll, it slides, like it's on ice!  Use a ball like the Callaway with the red and blue line on it; on the Flash version you could see the lines moving around the ball as the ball rolled.  on the new version the lines don't move, the ball simply 'slides' along the green.

The new version will need a huge amount of work to get it as good as the Flash version, and knowing how WGT work, that will never happen!

Also, while we're on the subject of putting, unless the ball is going into the middle of the hole, it misses!  I've seen balls going at the right speed, and sliding over one side of the hole.  They don't even lip out, they just keep going in a straight line, which is incredibly unrealistic.  But hey, the whole game is now unrealistic, so why change the putting!

• TomCarioca
    286 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2021 8:12 PM

Yiannis, which resolution are you playing on launcher? Really appreciate the efforts you‘ve spent in setting up the resolution related vids. Very helpful insights!

I‘m playing 1920x1200 but of course would like to have all the information the original 768s provide...

But at 1024x768 the window gets to small for my 25‘‘ screen at the given distance. So even a 2pixel ding line doesnt help lol

Before I start trying all the options Scott is providing would like to hear what you have figured out for yourself.

Cheers mate

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2021 3:07 AM

MioKontic:

Yiannis1970:

I will give my opinion about lipouts on the launcher. There are 2 things that they have been changed from the flash: a) the right speed to reach the hole (launcher plays definitely slower) b) the way the ball is rolling (i cannot explain it quite well but the rolling of the ball has a strange feeling, is not smooth as was on the flash). Now...in order to compensate the difference in speed, you have to adopt a more aggressive way of putting (more speedy). That means that lipouts are standing and waiting you in the corner if your ball is not center cup.

Another key point for me in putting (still working on it...i am a newby in launcher) is that every course plays differently in greens. Yes, this is not a new thing. The same was happening during flash too but on the launcher this feature is magnified. I am quite sure that when we master the putting on launcher, we won't come up with only a single formula that works with rain or shine but with many of them according the course or the green to handle. 

The reason the 'roll' of the ball on the greens feels strange is because it doesn't roll, it slides, like it's on ice!  Use a ball like the Callaway with the red and blue line on it; on the Flash version you could see the lines moving around the ball as the ball rolled.  on the new version the lines don't move, the ball simply 'slides' along the green.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation, thank you.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2021 3:28 AM

TomCarioca:

Yiannis, which resolution are you playing on launcher? Really appreciate the efforts you‘ve spent in setting up the resolution related vids. Very helpful insights!

I‘m playing 1920x1200 but of course would like to have all the information the original 768s provide...

But at 1024x768 the window gets to small for my 25‘‘ screen at the given distance. So even a 2pixel ding line doesnt help lol

Before I start trying all the options Scott is providing would like to hear what you have figured out for yourself.

Cheers mate

Hello Tom. Thank you for watching the video and understand actually what i am trying to point out. Well....good news my friend!! Yesterday i found a way to increase my ding percentage, without spoiling the twitch stream.

Ok, first things first...

When we were playing on flash, i have been using the magnifier tool to get the meter line bigger in order to have more chances to hit the ding. Probably some of you remember that if you have watched some twitch games or recorded ones on you tube. I thought it was a great way to play for two reasons: 1) I have myopia and the last year (damn 50 years!!) i develop short sight problem as well. So, being the original resolution of the pics so low, everything was blurry. That's why i came up with magnifier idea. 2) if you use the magnifier, your vision is focus on the the ding line and your peripheral vision does not get distracted from the rest of the image...so more chances to hit the ding. Yes...the meter speed magnified seems and it is a bit faster, but nothing you can't handle.

Let's pass to the launcher..

As i explained in the videos the best resolution to have all the useful information available is 1024 x 768. So, i was playing and streaming using this low resolution in fullscreen mode. As you can understand, playing this low resolution scaled on a 1920 x1080 resulted quite blurry. Furthermore, because my OS is win7 64 (thank god!!!), the old version of obs i use is incompatible with the use of aero, which is necessary for the use of the magnifier. So, i needed everytime to put aero to off and play in fullscreen 1024 x 768 with blurry results. If you play window mode, with aero enabled, you can use the magnifier with no problem BUT, the meter becomes very skippy and it's quite difficult to play with a smooth meter.

Well....yesterday solved this problem. I will make a video explaining the whole thing which is quite easy and frankly increased my ding rate by 20% at least. So...quite happy here...:)

PS

Guys that are using win10, won't have problems of any kind.

• TomCarioca
    286 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2021 4:40 PM

Thanks mate, looking forward to the new vid. Great job!

RSS