Help › Forums

New Format

Tue, Mar 16 2021 6:29 PM (104 replies)
  • dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 7:06 PM

YankeeJim:

dedBuNNy:
    Part of the difficulty they face here is that the new version of the game wasn't rebuilt from the ground up, it's not a new game in the traditional sense

Just the guy I was looking for. I'm playing the game wondering how it could be vastly improved with minimal effort but don't know enough about how things work.

For starters, why can't the chat be like the Flash version located underneath the hole info on the left side? Smaller type and able to be seen while the game is progressing would be a huge fix.

Secondly, how do they make the online visibility available to everybody at the same time? When the host asks for greens, have someplace for waiting types to go see.

Thirdly, what does it take to downsize the Godzilla avatar and make it not look like some primitive overlay onto the game?

Fourthly, what does it take to get the dang aimer yardage marker out of the way on the putting green?

I weathered this game from its infancy, waiting patiently for the changes that made it great. Am I faced with that same slog all over again or are these changes easy enough to make? Possibly at the sake of the stuipdass apparel, ball effects and tee markers........

p.s., Your response determines whether or not I continue to think that the game developers are just high school students working for college credits or not.  :-D

The short answer to all of those questions is - Nothing is stopping them from addressing all of those issues. Nothing except money, which is required to hire/contract competent designers, artists, coders etc. 

Real game dev is expensive and really labor intensive and requires skilled people.There is no doubt in my mind that there is no real proper budget allocated for this game, it's being hammered together in a way that it can be made somewhat playable with enough features from the old game to keep the core group of paying players interested and attract new players to the game. The top 5%, the credit winners bring in nothing for TG in the way of revenue. That's not a knock or anything, it's just the way it is.

Someone seriously dropped the ball with this from a project management standpoint. Or they were simply told to 'Do what you can to make it playable as best you can, work with what and the staff you have'. Neither of those scenarios is good, not at all. This game never should have been released as a replacement for the Flash game in the state it's in. 

My end of working with game dev is mostly in 3D design, I work with Maya, Blender, PS, ZBrush, Substance, CorelDraw, Rhino and a couple of things, but those are the main applications I use daily now that I've gone back into it. I know my way around C#,enough to test and debug what I'm working on in Unity. That's about all I need to know. I actually would not want to code, you need a 'special' brain to do that 20 hours a day... (no offence to those who do that reading this...  ;) ) 

I'm not trying to dump on WGT/TG but none what is going on makes any sense to me, I would put this game as being in beta status at best, if I'm looking at all aspects of it. There is so much that doesn't work and is missing from the game it's no wonder the people who play AS Skins, MP are disappointed and annoyed. 

What is not really very funny is the response from a lot of people, and it seems to be the attitude of TG/WGT, that 'well everyone knew Flash was ending so you should have been playing the new version and preparing as soon as it was available'  The flip-side to that is,TG/ WGT has had more than two years to figure out a real plan and execute it. If this is what they came up with in that time frame? Well I'll leave it alone cuz, damn ... lol, I'm sure I'll be banned for the final time after posting this anyway, so.. ya.

Not sure I'd bank your continuing to play the game on what I have to say Jim, I mean if your goal is to play RG's and be competitive in winning credits, that part of the game is still very much intact. The rest is a mess for sure, no nice way to put that. 

I will say this though, all the people bitching about the core functionality of the game, that it's 'impossible to play now' , need to watch Young46's stream to see how playable the game is. You'll soon get the idea that it's very playable and that if you can't play the new game? It's on you. The reason I suggest his stream is because he commentates as he plays, it's actually very helpful and after watching for a couple of days, if you can't take anything away and improve your game? Well hang it up, cuz you never will. There is not some new version of VEM making you play poorly.

That's my bit on the state of the new game...LOL! Personally I like the way it feels in game, I don't have any issues with how it plays, I even like the standard putting. The rest of the game is a dumpster fire, absolutely.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 7:47 PM

dedBuNNy:
    Not sure I'd bank your continuing to play the game on what I have to say Jim, I mean if your goal is to play RG's and be competitive in winning credits, that part of the game is still very much intact. The rest is a mess for sure, no nice way to put that

Nah, I'll be playing, regardless. I just want to know what kind of hope I should have that the dumpster fire gets put out.  ;-)

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2021 9:31 PM

YankeeJim:

I just want to know what kind of hope I should have that the dumpster fire gets put out.  ;-)

Well if history is any indicator, informing the general player base as to what they're doing has never been any sort of priority. They do what they do in whatever manner suits them.

I'd like to think, looking at some of the things in the new game that there are a couple of competent people working away on the 'actual' replacement version. At the very least the visual issues could be taken care of quite easily. The UX/UI, aiming and grid markers etc.. Those things really only require an moderately trained person to fix. 

To be honest, the actual in game models (female anyway) seem like they've been worked on, could be just wishful thinking on my part. The rigging seems much more inclusive and tighter than when first used. I remember watching the hands/club and it was bad, it was like the wrist had no association with the fingers, or it was using the lower-arm node and not the wrist...  looked odd for sure. It's really nice now, I mean they even over-lapped the baby and index fingers. 

A new hire perhaps? LOL.... 

• SpazzStick
    262 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2021 11:33 AM

dedBuNNy:

YankeeJim:

I just want to know what kind of hope I should have that the dumpster fire gets put out.  ;-)

Well if history is any indicator, informing the general player base as to what they're doing has never been any sort of priority. They do what they do in whatever manner suits them.

I'd like to think, looking at some of the things in the new game that there are a couple of competent people working away on the 'actual' replacement version. At the very least the visual issues could be taken care of quite easily. The UX/UI, aiming and grid markers etc.. Those things really only require an moderately trained person to fix. 

To be honest, the actual in game models (female anyway) seem like they've been worked on, could be just wishful thinking on my part. The rigging seems much more inclusive and tighter than when first used. I remember watching the hands/club and it was bad, it was like the wrist had no association with the fingers, or it was using the lower-arm node and not the wrist...  looked odd for sure. It's really nice now, I mean they even over-lapped the baby and index fingers. 

preaching to the choir...

the new version of the game, itself, plays quite nicely. However, the basic functionality of it, not so much. Edbunny is probably also "ded"ly accurate about the state of things. WGT started beta testing the flash version in Oct 2008. It stayed in beta mode until Dec 2020. They released the mobile version in 2013 - also still in beta testing. From TruGolf to TopGolf, WGT has perpetually been a Frankenstein monster. The longer the monster lives, the more it mutates because of the pieces being added/removed by what is likely a revolving dev team.

I'm pretty sure that once they solve the ability to randomly connect players, we can all go back to loving/hating the game and each other.

Good tidings to all of you for 2021.

*except my 3rd grade teacher. fair tidings to you.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2021 12:26 PM

I see what you did there, with the name.. lol  ;)

There's another thing take into consideration. WGT will be aware of this.

Unity has conditions with respect to the status of your game, being in development / beta and generating traffic / bandwidth. In other words you can't have a fully functioning revenue generating game delivered, played and still maintain that licensing / payment status with them. 

Under development status there is a CCU limit of 200 players which can be 'in game' for testing purposes. I have wondered about that ever since all the MP and chat, issues really started to become a problem. Not sure, could be the reason though. I think the game is still listed as EA on Steam? Haven't looked in a while. 

Problem is, Flash is gone and they're making the PC game full accessible as a replacement for that, and there's no way they'll convince Unity it's an EA release. That won't work, so they'll get nailed there. Even with it being listed as EA on Steam. 

So many unknowns with this, other than the fact that doesn't seem to be any clear development story-boarding for it... If there is I'd pay to see it... lol

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2021 12:56 PM

SpazzStick:

dedBuNNy:

YankeeJim:

The longer the monster lives

You've taken the plunge to NV i see after saying when Flash done I'm .... lol

Also speaking of living, you're hanging in there well for someone with Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer

• regulationreggie
    10 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2021 3:51 PM

Not really a reply just a comment on the new app, maybe the wrong thread, i don't know. If I try to create a game players pop up but dont get past the equipping stage and then disappear. Only once have 2 players played with me this way. If I try to join a game 9 times outta 10 it times out saying there are no games. So the only way I can play is the head to head or solo tournament. Anybody else in this predicament? REGULATIONREGGIE aka Steve

• BMX123
    627 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2021 8:47 PM

x

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2021 9:35 PM

Quote from YJ "Thirdly, what does it take to downsize the Godzilla avatar and make it not look like some primitive overlay onto the game?

This is a huge negative for me along with other matters, like being frozen in time when WATCHING OPPONENT is on my screen. Unable to flip around and see different views.

Unable to watch opponents putt from a different angle, no reverse view.

Huge clunky numbers that represent different cameras

And getting beat by Pro's and Tour Pro's in coin games, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

I'll grit my teeth and hang on until Torrey Pines is here, and spend all my credits on the best balls. I've always played Titliest in RL, so thats what I'm doing here.

But after that I don't know.

I have just tried out 'standard' putting as opposed to the classic I was using before and started playing in the St Andrews unlimited tournament, and to me all the putts display only a tiny bit of break, so I am going back to classic.

Meanwhile forgot to say how much I like the heartbeat, which we used to have in flash on CTTH didn't we. 

On the Par 5 St Andrews, I have second shot 245 yards into a 28 mph wind, pin front, and the heartbeat goes on forever as my ball trundles just a yard past the hole.

Love it.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2021 5:28 AM

Ha! All of that ^^^...  ;-) 

Even though Unity is much easier / simpler than UE4 as far as getting up to speed and going from concept/storyboard to deployment. I think 'these people' are finding out that it's still an actual game development platform and with it's abilities come complexities as well. 

What is actually kinda sad is that they seem content to leave the game as it was, not adding in anything new in the way of game mechanics that would really improve the game and make is seem fresh, to me that's just dropping the ball huge. 

RSS