Forums

Help › Forums

cost

Sun, Jan 3 2021 1:46 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robert250050
    2 Posts
    Tue, Dec 29 2020 2:47 PM

I am barely getting started on this new game and would like to know if i can be successful playing without using real money to buy things ?

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Tue, Dec 29 2020 6:43 PM

Hi Robert.  Welcome to WGT!

The answer to your question is Yes.  You can watch videos for 2 credits each and earn up to 150 credits each day doing that.  You can also do surveys (payouts vary) and earn credits from entering and placing well in various tournaments.

Hope this helps.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Dec 29 2020 11:25 PM

I know that quite a lot of players do this, but...

SamSpayed:
    earn credits from entering and placing well in various tournaments
    Only after good investment in practice and equipment though...

SamSpayed:
    You can watch videos for 2 credits each and earn up to 150 credits each day doing that.  You can also do surveys (payouts vary)
    Be aware that this is time-consuming, and brace yourself to accept the feeling to be scammed in the surveys...

Early on, I decided that my time was too precious to accept 2 bucks per hour - I rather work for real and invest that money!

• EricW55
    36 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2020 12:03 AM

I started about 6 weeks ago.  It depends on how you define "successful".

If you go and practice the starter clubs.  Map how far each carries.  You can successfully blitz through to pro tier.  Do some more "learning" and you can get to Master.  But then you'll need a driver.

The first time you try some decent balls you'll realise how important they are for scoring.  Then you'll rent some better irons, or wedges, and realise they're shot savers.

My definition of "successful" is being competitive.  That doesn't mean winning all the time, but having a chance.  Under my definition the answer to your question is an emphatic "no".

• Robbob1970
    113 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2020 2:13 AM

Robert250050:

I am barely getting started on this new game and would like to know if i can be successful playing without using real money to buy things ?

Just answer the question people. The answer is no. Simple as that. If you want to compete and excel in this game you will need to spend lots of real $$$. Topgolf is one of the most greediest company's in the market!

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2020 9:48 AM

Robbob1970:
    The answer is no. Simple as that. If you want to compete and excel in this game you will need to spend lots of real $$.

Hmm, strange.  I've made it to Tour Legend and have never spent a single real $$ on this game.

Spending real $$ is certainly an option, but it's not necessary.  

• wedge0837
    862 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2020 9:55 AM

SamSpayed:

and have never spent a single real $ on this game.

Spending real $ is certainly an option, but it's not necessary. 

funny thing, I posted the exact same thing about never ever paying for wgt due to surveys I was taking, then I was cut off of them by some mysterious force. 

Be careful what you say around here. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2020 10:35 AM

wedge0837:

funny thing, I posted the exact same thing about never ever paying for wgt due to surveys I was taking, then I was cut off of them by some mysterious force. 

Be careful what you say around here. 

Simple coincidence.

Over the years, I've posted similar-type statements. I've never been cut off from surveys. There's no evidence (or reason to believe) that those conducting the surveys are reading these fora. Additionally, there's no reason to believe the moderators are taking any actions along those lines (i.e. keeping players from completing surveys). 

The last time I spent any money on here was 5 years ago. Even then, I only spent ~$40 my first few months playing the game. Additionally, all of the equipment I currently have was purchased through earning free credits. 

The answer to the OP's question is both "no" and "yes."

If one wants to have equipment that makes the person more competitive immediately, then no, a player cannot be competitive without having to spend money. 

If one can be patient, then yes, a player can become competitive without having to spend real money. Within a span about 3 months, a player can probably earn enough credits to purchase the clubs necessary to be more competitive. The real problem is the best clubs are likely to remain unlocked due to the player being at a lower level.

And, as a bonus aside (not to you or the OP but to others), if WGT really were as greedy as people like to paint them to be, then there would be no opportunity to earn free credits. WGT is no more nor less greedy than any other business. It's as simple as that. 

To be fair, however, the ability to earn free credits is not equal for everyone. Those who live in the U.S. are at a significant advantage. So, that's a big caveat and needs to be acknowledged. 

• Robbob1970
    113 Posts
    Wed, Dec 30 2020 8:34 PM

SamSpayed:
    Hmm, strange.  I've made it to Tour Legend and have never spent a single real $ on this game.

Judging by the equipment in your bag, you've had a generous donor then or was one of the muppets that strip mined back in the day. 

So I stand by my original comment. You want to play and excel in this game you need deep pockets or good friends with deep pockets.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2020 10:01 AM

Robbob1970:
    So I stand by my original comment. You want to play and excel in this game you need deep pockets or good friends with deep pockets.

That's fine that you stand by your statement. Nevertheless, it does not negate the fact that your conclusion is incorrect for many players who have done what Sam has done as well as what I have done.. Again, this may not apply to those who live outside the U.S.

When unlimited video views were available, there were players who took advantage of banking credits without resorting to "strip mining." For example, I used to earn about 300 credits per day by earning free credits on both my iPhone and iPad. I would not characterize that activity as strip mining. 

But even after the videos were capped at 150 credits per day, one can still earn enough credits to purchase the necessary equipment. A player simply needs to be both purposeful and patient about it. During the course of a year, a player can earn over 50,000 credits through free videos. 

But more to the point, the amount of credits necessary to equip a bag with top equipment is about 25,000 credits. To accumulate that many credits would take fewer than 6 months. 

So, if players can be patient and live with starters for a while and be earning credits along the way, they will have banked the necessary credits to purchase the equipment they need. 

tl;dr: You need to consider that there's a whole lot of space between needing "deep pockets/generous donor" and spending money. 

• PAGES
RSS