Forums

Help › Forums

Wedge endgame

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 31 2020 9:40 AM (6 replies)
  • cyrusthegreat
    69 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2020 3:42 PM

There's been much discussion about the lack of a Callaway 64 degree wedge, creating an awkward choice for players who have all wedges unlocked. Is there any consensus as to the best wedge setup?

It seems like many top players use a Vokey (or old Cleveland) 64 degree as their shortest. For those of us using standard balls, is a MAX or TaylorMade 64 (which is also 10 yards shorter) a viable alternative?

Also, how mappable is the Callaway 56? Having both a 115 and 100 yard wedge sounds pretty awkward if the 100 yarder is difficult to use on shots shorter than 80 yards or so...

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2020 9:59 PM

The Vokey 64° is a deadly weapon.  Combined with Walk0fLife's 50-yd punch chart, you can hit just about any shot from 18-50 yards to within a few feet of the hole.  The pitch is also very precise from about 8-17 yards.  It chips very well, too, from 8 yards or less.  I think the vast majority of players would agree it's the most accurate club in the game.

The MAX 64° just doesn't have the same bite.  I found it to be more inconsistent than the Vokey across all the shot types.  That said, there are a lot of good players who use it.  I think the primary advantage of the MAX 64° is matching the meter speed of the Callaways.  With that combination, you can match a whole set of clubs to 4.4/4.5.

More after the update

I've never used the TMs, so I can't comment on those, although many players swear by them, too.  The bottom line is that they're probably all viable.  If you play any club enough, you just get used to it.  In the end it will come down personal preference.  I will say that, with a lower spin ball, you will probably want the higher spin club (Vokey) to compensate. 

For the 56° 100-yd wedges, I found the Callaway gives you a little more range than the Vokey, 105-108 yards depending on the ball.  It just feels better to me, too.  More predictable, more bite.  Definitely mappable.  It punches 84 yards, so you can use it with either setup:  60/80/100 or 50/75/100.

The 60° wedge will depend on which 64° wedge you decide on.  If you go with the 60yd Vokey, you'll probably want the 80yd Vokey, too.  The yardages fit exactly halfway between the 60yd club and the 100yd club for all 5 shot types.  Likewise, if you go with the 50yd MAX, you'll probably prefer the 75yd Cally.  I don't seem to use this club as much as the other two, but I do prefer the Vokey to the Cally.

The 52° 115yd wedge is mostly a solution to a particular problem.  Players who lack confidence in their PW tend to use the 52° instead of the 56°.  If that's you, you'll want a 115/80/60 setup.  The 52° is also useful as a 4th wedge in CTTH games (drop the Driver); it does seem to be more accurate than the PW.  I have the Cally, sold the Vokey, but I haven't played either a lot.  I found them to be similar.

• McGooYUL
    9 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2020 3:33 PM

I have the 64 Vokey lvl 80 which is a miracle club. For my 60 and 56 degree I play the PM Grind lvl 67+. Those will get upgraded once I can get the lvl 94+. 

I like the spin on the Vokey for those lob wedge shots and close chipping and pitching. The PM grinds are great as approach clubs. This combo offers a good distance overlap. There is something to be said about the nice layering of distances of going all Vokey.  

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2020 5:05 PM

McGooYUL:
    I have the 64 Vokey lvl 80 which is a miracle club. For my 60 and 56 degree I play the PM Grind lvl 67+. Those will get upgraded once I can get the lvl 94+. 

The problem you will run into at level 94 is that the 60 degree PM Grind is only rated at 75 yards instead of the 80 yards that you are used to, I fail to see the logic there, 

• McGooYUL
    9 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2020 7:22 PM

You’re right, I’ll be reading away a 100/80/60 for 100/75/60, but for the added gain to forgiveness and meter, I think it’s worth it (compared to my current setup). Going all Vokey is also a solid choice, the distances transition cleanly, but the specs align more with a top end level 70’s club. I was just trying to discuss the two approaches and the one I’m choosing. I personally don’t mind the dip to 75, as the 75% on the 56 degree still bleeds into the 60 degree club cleanly. 

• Xameeeer
    19 Posts
    Thu, Dec 17 2020 7:01 AM

I have 3 wedges now. How do I get rid of the hybrid and have all 3 edges available? I have it on advances in setting but can't ditch the hybrid. Ugh! 

• cyrusthegreat
    69 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2020 9:40 AM

ZirjoGondar:

The Vokey 64° is a deadly weapon.  Combined with Walk0fLife's 50-yd punch chart, you can hit just about any shot from 18-50 yards to within a few feet of the hole.  The pitch is also very precise from about 8-17 yards.  It chips very well, too, from 8 yards or less.  I think the vast majority of players would agree it's the most accurate club in the game.

The MAX 64° just doesn't have the same bite.  I found it to be more inconsistent than the Vokey across all the shot types.  That said, there are a lot of good players who use it.  I think the primary advantage of the MAX 64° is matching the meter speed of the Callaways.  With that combination, you can match a whole set of clubs to 4.4/4.5.

More after the update

I've never used the TMs, so I can't comment on those, although many players swear by them, too.  The bottom line is that they're probably all viable.  If you play any club enough, you just get used to it.  In the end it will come down personal preference.  I will say that, with a lower spin ball, you will probably want the higher spin club (Vokey) to compensate. 

For the 56° 100-yd wedges, I found the Callaway gives you a little more range than the Vokey, 105-108 yards depending on the ball.  It just feels better to me, too.  More predictable, more bite.  Definitely mappable.  It punches 84 yards, so you can use it with either setup:  60/80/100 or 50/75/100.

The 60° wedge will depend on which 64° wedge you decide on.  If you go with the 60yd Vokey, you'll probably want the 80yd Vokey, too.  The yardages fit exactly halfway between the 60yd club and the 100yd club for all 5 shot types.  Likewise, if you go with the 50yd MAX, you'll probably prefer the 75yd Cally.  I don't seem to use this club as much as the other two, but I do prefer the Vokey to the Cally.

The 52° 115yd wedge is mostly a solution to a particular problem.  Players who lack confidence in their PW tend to use the 52° instead of the 56°.  If that's you, you'll want a 115/80/60 setup.  The 52° is also useful as a 4th wedge in CTTH games (drop the Driver); it does seem to be more accurate than the PW.  I have the Cally, sold the Vokey, but I haven't played either a lot.  I found them to be similar.

Thank you, this is very helpful and I was not familiar with the punch chart! I use punch for PW shots, but for my 60-yard Cleveland I almost always use full or flop shots.

I do fall in the category of players who lack confidence in their PW at anything less than 90 yards or so, although my current PW is not a high-level club, so the 52° does appeal to me. Maybe 100-75-60 is the best setup for me though.

RSS