Forums

Help › Forums

Need suggestions Investing in some clubs

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 2 2020 11:09 AM (5 replies)
  • Brittfield
    3 Posts
    Fri, Nov 27 2020 6:04 PM

I’m almost lvl 70, the only clubs I have I got for free. Would definitely like a putter and a driver. Is there any meta clubs that are a must at my lvl or should I wait till I’m better at the game?

• beerstine
    668 Posts
    Wed, Dec 2 2020 4:33 AM

When you hit level 70, get the Scotty Cameron Phantom X putter.  Made a definitive improvement in my scores when I bought it and wish I'd done it sooner.  

The L59 Ping irons are a good buy and a bit less expensive than the higher level alternatives.  High trajectory means less roll on the greens.

Wait until L74 for the Taylor Made driver.  If you're out of credits and need to wait, get one of the Callaway drivers in the mid 80s.

The Vokey wedges unlock in the late L70s and are better than anything available before them.  If you only buy one, get the 64 degree wedge at L80.

• VinnyBarbariny
    2 Posts
    Wed, Dec 2 2020 7:20 AM

I like my L59 Ping irons.

Tried the Scotty but it wasn't better than my L55 Seemore, which is way cheaper.

But I soon will have to decide if I buy the L74 TM Driver (MED-HIGH) or the LV85 Mavrik (HIGH). Anyone tried them both? 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Wed, Dec 2 2020 8:55 AM

I believe you will like the higher trajectory driver. It will add distance especially in tail winds and will get you over trees you will encounter from the tee.

• VinnyBarbariny
    2 Posts
    Wed, Dec 2 2020 11:09 AM

That's what I was thinking...but I just saw the XPs needed between LV 74 and LV 85 and it's gonna take me a while. Might try the TM!

• beerstine
    668 Posts
    Wed, Dec 2 2020 1:43 PM

I played the Callaway L85 driver in SOTW tournaments and it's very good.  I do prefer the high trajectory usually, but it doesn't provide any extra distance over the TM and I was slightly more erratic off-ding in heavy winds.  It is a little cheaper though.  

Unless you're playing off Master or Legend tees, the drivers at these levels aren't as necessary as good irons and wedges.  

RSS