Forums

Help › Forums

Does V.E.M. really exist?

Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:31 PM (34 replies)
  • mystry78
    880 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 4:45 AM

Does V.E.M. really exist, or are WGT's club forgiveness ratings a total fraud?

It is one or the other, which is it WGT?

Frank

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 5:03 AM

mystry78:
    Does V.E.M really exist

Yes

Don

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 5:15 AM

Yes Icon had a post about it

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 5:24 AM

VEM

In general, in one aspect, embodiments of the invention feature determining a user skill level for user interaction with virtual equipment in an interactive computer game. The virtual equipment is capable of being manipulated through user interaction with an associated representation. A virtual equipment model associated with the virtual equipment is automatically adapted to reflect the determined user skill level. The virtual equipment model governs how the virtual equipment behaves in response to user interaction with the representation.

These and other embodiments can optionally include one or more of the following features. The adapting includes changing a sweet spot for the virtual equipment. The sweet spot is an area of a distribution curve for a variable associated with the virtual equipment model. The sweet spot is related to one or more of: accuracy of the user interaction and precision of the user interaction. The adapting includes changing an input model or the associated representation. The adapting is based on a current state of a virtual universe. The determining is in response to detecting an improvement or a decline in the user skill level. The representation includes one or more of: graphical rendering, sound, or haptic feedback. The adapting includes changing or more relationships between a plurality variables in the user interaction model. The virtual equipment is one of: a golf club, a weapon, an automobile, a racket, a ping pong paddle, or a baseball bat.

In general, in another aspect, embodiments of the invention feature determining a user skill level for user interaction with virtual equipment in an interactive computer game. The virtual equipment is capable of being manipulated through user interaction with an associated representation. A sweet spot associated with the virtual equipment is automatically adapted based on the determined user skill level, the sweet spot governing how the virtual equipment behaves in response to user interaction with the representation.

These and other embodiments can optionally include one or more of the following features. The sweet spot is an area of a distribution curve for a variable associated with the virtual equipment. The sweet spot is related to one or more of: accuracy of the user interaction and precision of the user interaction. The adapting includes changing an input model or the associated representation.

Particular embodiments of the invention can be implemented to realize one or more of the following advantages. Virtual equipment automatically adapts to reflect changes in user skill level and keep users challenged as their skill level improves. As a result, users are less likely to loose interest in a computer game. An associated user input model and visual representation of virtual equipment can be automatically modified to reflect changes in users' skill levels. Automatically adapting virtual equipment adds a dimension of realism to electronic games of skill and other types of simulations and provides a more accurate reflection of skill in a virtue world, less hindered by a static, limited user interface.

However, after thousands of rounds and tens of thousands of golf shots and an exhausting study on exactly how, when, why or where the VEM theory has a direct impact on this game is still a great mystery not only to me but most likely to many who play this wonderful (and often frustrating) game!!

JD

• mystry78
    880 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 8:16 AM

Hey guys thanks for confirming what I already believed in my head. It’s so obvious sometimes. You can be on a roll of 5 or 6 birdies in a row and then miss the ding by a hair, the shot can be miles off line.

This just gives an advantage to the cheaters with their auto ding software.

I obviously love this game having been around here for over 10 years. I’m not sure if I’ll stick around after the flash game shuts down, I haven’t tried the new PC version yet.

When the time does come for me to find a new game you can be sure it will be a game that doesn’t punish their better players with a moronic program like V.E.M.

Frank

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 10:58 AM

mystry78:
    When the time does come for me to find a new game you can be sure it will be a game that doesn’t punish their better players with a moronic program like V.E.M.

Maybe you could find a moronic golf sim like TW that would let you eagle every hole.

• VEM9000
    169 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 12:15 PM

I'm sorry, not all of my systems have been working correctly of late, however,  everything now seems to be in order, and I will be ready to assist with game play again.

Vem :)

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 12:17 PM

mystry78:

This just gives an advantage to the cheaters with their auto ding software.

Frank

Your first comment is moot.

To the best of my knowledge, the new games available when playing at a 'pro' level with no assists on, there is no interference software influencing your shots. Certainly not that I've noticed in the 3 that I own atm. 

When using the natural swing method in them, shooting par is a great round and tough to do. In those games the clubs / balls don't have attributes like they do in this game. In fact in TGC PGA hitting a ball with backspin is ridiculously hard, true/clean ball strikes are not easy, but that's what makes it fun to play. 

This game with its VEM running, gonna give you weird shots now and then, but compared to games built to simulate the game using physics engines and such? This game is much much easier to play, in fact the fact that even in the new game people are shooting 54's is a pretty good indicator it's still the same game for the most part. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 1:20 PM

VEM9000:

I'm sorry, not all of my systems have been working correctly of late, however,  everything now seems to be in order, and I will be ready to assist with game play again.

Thank you for chiming in my old friend.

I was thinking about sending out an APB for you. Good to know all is well.

Don

• mystry78
    880 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2020 3:37 PM

VEM9000:

Lol :)

RSS