Forums

Help › Forums

Ball Longevity?

Tue, Nov 17 2020 6:23 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 10:11 PM

If you pay for a sleeve of balls,  does the wear & tear on the ball apply?    (for example,  if you hit the ball on a path or a rock and does putting a ball count for a hit?)

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 5:01 AM

As far as I am aware, ball wear is only caused when the club strikes the ball (except the putter), not when the ball makes contact with any other surface.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 7:56 AM

Someone on Facebook did a pretty detailed "study" of this.

• 1 stroke = 1 Hit off your ball's Hit Meter
    • It does not matter if its from the fairway, rough, sand, brush, ect; 1 stroke = 1 hit
    • A balls Hit Meter is not affected by hitting off cart path, rocks, ect.
    • Any stroke taken from "On the Green" does not count as a hit on your ball's Hit Meter
    • The stroke taken after using a Mulligan will count as two hits to your ball's Hit Meter. This also includes mulligans used "On the Green" for Putts
    • Every Ball (other than the starter Ball) has a Durability rating. This can be from 1.0 - 2.5. This will give you somewhere between 90-120 hits on each ball depending on its rating. 
    • 1.0 = 90 hits
      2.0 = 100 hits
      2.5 = 120 hits   

• gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 12:24 PM

Thank you both for the information. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 1:02 PM

MarchieB:

Someone on Facebook did a pretty detailed "study" of this.

• 1 stroke = 1 Hit off your ball's Hit Meter
    • It does not matter if its from the fairway, rough, sand, brush, ect; 1 stroke = 1 hit
    • A balls Hit Meter is not affected by hitting off cart path, rocks, ect.
    • Any stroke taken from "On the Green" does not count as a hit on your ball's Hit Meter
    • The stroke taken after using a Mulligan will count as two hits to your ball's Hit Meter. This also includes mulligans used "On the Green" for Putts
    • Every Ball (other than the starter Ball) has a Durability rating. This can be from 1.0 - 2.5. This will give you somewhere between 90-120 hits on each ball depending on its rating.

That's a good summary!

Let me add two wee details:

- Only putts from the greens do not count. Mulligans do count as stated, and, AFAIR, other clubs from greens do count one on one.

- Durability of some ball type has been counted to 125. My guess: Probably older balls which may no longer exist.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 1:35 PM

Just to add that while putts on Green don't count putts from Fringe do count as a Ball Hit

• gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 6:19 PM

thank you Allosso

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2020 1:39 AM

Kenher01:
    Just to add that while putts on Green don't count putts from Fringe do count as a Ball Hit

Ken, I'm not sure you're correct on that.

I know I have done this before, but I did the test again just to see if it is still the same.

The image below contains two captures of the hit meter. The top one was taken before I putted, and the bottom one taken after I had made five putts from the fringe. The hole was Oakmonts 3rd which has a massive fringe behind the green.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2020 4:28 AM

The display of this thread is messed up. Is this how you guys see it too?

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2020 5:05 AM

Yes Simon, I guess we all see it.

It might be alosso. His post seems a bit broken.

Two more posts should cure it.

• PAGES
    RSS