Forums

Help › Forums

The master's at a crossroads .

Wed, Nov 18 2020 1:07 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 4:34 AM

MASTERS officials have warned golf’s rulers ‘if you won’t protect us from the monster hitters, we will!’

The green jackets say they will not let Bryson Dechambeau and the rest of the game’s power merchants turn Augusta into a pitch and putt course..

Masters chairman Fred Ridley admitted they are worried players such as DeChambeau – who insists Augusta is only a par 67 for him – could make the course obsolete before long.

Ridley said the distance players can hit a ball now, with DeChambeau flying it over 400 yards, means the game is ‘at a crossroads, and I think we are coming closer to a call for action’.

The R&A and the US Golf Association have been carrying out a joint study into whether the distance golf balls travel needs to be curbed. 

They are due to publish their findings – and declare whether any action is needed – early next year..

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 5:02 AM

Changing the dimples of the golf ball is the key.   They can't stop Bryson from hitting the gym, so they have to change the equipment somehow.

They could not allow longer drivers I suppose.

They should remove all dimples from the ball; see how they like that!  Lol

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 5:41 AM

Comical really, that they're trying to handcuff him because he can drive like he does. He's still going to have his advantage no matter what they do.

What really can they do? Can't handicap him, that's nuts.

Can't change the balls to a shallower dimple, that would screw everyone just so he can't hit it longer? That's just as nuts.

I think the whole thing is pretty funny. I mean look at the way Tiger played way back, he was driving huge and his putting was ridiculous. No one suggested doing anything about that.

It's golf, still gotta get the ball in the hole. I mean if they want try and limit his scoring based on him shortening up courses, mess with the greens. Then it's not purely a strength/conditioning issue, just who can read and execute better.

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 8:02 AM

Same happens at st andrews .

Built over 100 years ago when equipment was so different .

Luckily it is beside the north sea and on a windy day course gets it own back .

Invlibrary Dance GIF - Invlibrary Dance Scottish GIFs

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 10:26 AM

Got to admit though a sand wedge usually lands closer than a 5 iron .

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 10:35 AM

I watched pro golfer showing the difference between a 1980 driver and a 2020 driver using the same shot on a simulator .

He said using 2020 driver - this ball will travel 250 yards then bend round a tree just missing the water and run up the dog leg fairway . It did .

Then he hit the 1980 driver - it went 250 yards and just stopped .

• conveyorguy
    767 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2020 4:15 PM
    Bryson didn't do so well today....juss sayin
  • dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2020 9:37 PM

conveyorguy:
    Bryson didn't do so well today....juss sayin

Lotta lotta VEM going on with his round today.... lol !

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 6:08 AM

• twinponds169
    3,004 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2020 9:39 AM

Geezums, did Tiger have some bad VEM on that par 3 today, or what?

• PAGES
RSS