Forums

Help › Forums

How to Make Profile Pic Higher Quality?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 7 2021 4:17 AM (9 replies)
  • BoonJuice
    66 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2020 8:09 PM

My profile pic looked good and high quality before uploading, but after uploading and cropping it, it looks blurry and low quality.

Is that how WGT compresses it, or is there a way to preserve the original upload quality of the picture?

Does file type matter? I used jpg, the original looked good in jpg though

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sun, Nov 8 2020 8:36 AM

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Sun, Nov 8 2020 12:35 PM

What you got is probably as good as it will get. The image is never really seen as a very big image in the game so it doesn’t need to be super hi res. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sun, Nov 8 2020 1:59 PM

BoonJuice:

My profile pic looked good and high quality before uploading, but after uploading and cropping it, it looks blurry and low quality.

Is that how WGT compresses it, or is there a way to preserve the original upload quality of the picture?

Does file type matter? I used jpg, the original looked good in jpg though

This is something I posted in my CC forum years ago and might do the trick for you.

Dear Members,

This message is mainly addressed to mobile players, but it would be beneficial for PC players to know as well.

WHEN YOU CHANGE OR APPLY YOUR PROFILE PICTURE, DO IT FROM YOUR BLOG ON PC BROWSER, NEVER ON YOUR MOBILE APP.

This is to preserve the quality of image resolution.

For some unknown reason, the image resolution gets drastically reduced when posted or applied from the mobile app, causing the image to be blurry, garbled and distorted.

I hope you would find this information useful.

That's it, folks. Cheers.

Simon

And here is how you do it on PC (whooshdangit provided a precise, excellent, easy-to-follow explanation) :

https://www.wgt.com/forums/p/23034/3320652.aspx#3320652

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Sun, Nov 8 2020 3:09 PM

Maybe in the past there was a difference between uploads done on Mobile vs. PC but i don't think that's the case anymore. The image quality is reduced because it isn't necessary for them to be HI RES as they will really only be seen in the game as little icons. Even with large PC monitor they will only be 1.5" x 1.5" MAX. Maybe if you are playing the game on a big screen TV the images will not look as good.

This pic is 3 test uploads that I did;  

1. was uploaded via Mobile
    2. is the same image uploaded via PC
    3. is a Hi Res Wallpaper image (2560x1600)

Link to 🔺Above🔺Image FULL Size (zoomed in)

Link to Original IMAGE used for #1 & #2 (1296 x 729)

Link to Original IMAGE used for #3 (2560 x 1600)

• BoonJuice
    66 Posts
    Sun, Nov 8 2020 4:48 PM

I uploaded it on PC, not mobile, this is the original picture, but why if you click on my profile, the picture looks blurry

• PeterMch
    1 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2021 9:00 AM

Your photo already looks quality, so I don't understand what you see as a problem. If you say that the image is blurry, you should just do a shading; it will give the photo freshness and look more beautiful.
    If you really do not know how to use photo editors, then I can advise you to find help at https://photorelive.com/services/portrait-photo-retouching. After their experienced hand touches your picture, it will be a natural diamond, so I urge you to use this piece of advice.

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2021 10:12 AM

Bot spot. ⇧

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2021 5:07 PM

BoonJuice:

I uploaded it on PC, not mobile, this is the original picture, but why if you click on my profile, the picture looks blurry

Of course it looks blurry cause you don't have anymore the original resolution. If you take a 4K picture to frame it at 150 x 120 pixels, it's normal that all details are gone because of downscaling.

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2021 4:17 AM

As Yiannis implies, your original picture has over 100,000 pixels in it. That's one hundred thousand little coloured squares and each of those squares can display only one colour.

When it gets mangled by WGTs profile picture code, those pixels get reduced to 10,000. That's 1/10th of what it was originally, and each of those 10,000 pixels can still only display one colour each.

No wonder it looks dreadful.

RSS