Forums

Help › Forums

Finessing shots from bad lies.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 23 2020 4:12 AM (3 replies)
  • NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2020 2:37 PM

I was playing at merion on the 8th hole and my ball plugged into the bunker with a 60-70 lie only 13 yards from the pin.  There was a big lip to go over and some tall grass.  I wasted like 4 shots to hole out.  First time it got unplugged but only went a few yards.  Second time I got caught at the bunker lip.  Third time I barely made it out of the tall grass but short of the pin.

I went with full shot about 33 percent power each time because that is what my calculations arrived me to.  I never had problems getting close to the pin before this.  And getting a 60-70 in the bunker is quite rare.  Should I have gone with 50 or 60 power and put lots of back spin on it or what?

I made a 10 on that hole, with pars and a few birdies on the other holes.  Went from -1 to +5 for that 9 hole tournament round.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Thu, Oct 22 2020 6:06 PM

Nick, any shot under 45% is a gamble. If you can’t make the shot you want at 45% power the next best option is to land somewhere else on the green and try and save par.

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Fri, Oct 23 2020 4:12 AM

I practiced this type of shot at pebble beach yesterday hitting both punch shots and full shots from nearly the same position: ball buried, big lip, short distance.  Anything close to 40 percent only went a few yards.  With 50 to 75 percent got it close.  With 100 percent it went to the other side of the hole just past the fringe meaning there is so much resistance from the sand that one should not be afraid to go all out on it.  It really is different from the 30-40 and 40-50 shot where if you put too much it can go 20-30 yards past the green.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 23 2020 5:35 AM

NickolasMagos:
    I was playing at merion on the 8th hole and my ball plugged into the bunker with a 60-70 lie only 13 yards from the pin.

Go with a pitch. It lets you take a full swing and you'll get out. Like Tony says you're gambling trying to get a partial shot off. Try to use a shot where you can take a full swing.

RSS