Forums

Help › Forums

My attempt at installing desktop launcher on Linux

Thu, Oct 8 2020 10:06 PM (1 replies)
  • BERNARDK97
    1 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2020 9:37 AM

One thing note before reading. Please consider archiving this post somewhere on your computer for we have no idea whether or not the forums will be up in the future if Top Golf finds themselve losing money from operating the forums. (it's costly to a degree.)

For the technical, Downloading the .msi file. You can run:

1. wine  msiexec filename.msi

Wine will install WGT in a hidden directory:

• "/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/ Topgolf/"

This works. We can actually run Launcher.exe but with a catch. We need to run Wine Mono. We can no longer run the command Wine. We need to execute a command called Mono. Due to Top Gold developing the launcher around Microsoft's .NET framework. Wine Mono helps convert Windows .NET calls into Wine compatible calls (I may have explained it wrong but thats how I see it).

• mono launcher.exe

Unfortunately, When the launcher is updating the client. The client freezes and prevents us from actually playing. I'm close to getting the launcher / game to work on Linux but I feel like we need abstraction after abstraction layer just to get this game to run. Wine can only do so much.

• nolan60
    176 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2020 10:06 PM

Before i answer that what flavor of Linux are you running and what version of wine ... you can also install steam for Linux and play wgt with that  and if you are computer savvy you can install PrimeOS android on laptop

nolan

RSS