Forums

Help › Forums

"Steam" friend or foe?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 21 2020 9:40 AM (4 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,023 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2020 6:47 AM

When WGT Champion announced that Steam picked up WGT, I started launching from there and still do. What soon became clear to me was that Steam was either being ignored or rejected by the larger WGT community. To this day, there are only about 1600 of us who have checked in there. Something that I thought was nice was the nifty voice and text communication tools that came with the Steam package. Many clubs use add-on apps such as Skype, Discord and Team Speak which serve as a clubhouse where there members can interact with each other. Wouldn't it make more sense for a club to launch from a site where these amenities were included? It seems to me that there must a lot of people who  know something about Steam that I don't know or perhaps they may not know anything at all about Steam and reject it just cuz. Any thoughts?

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2020 12:44 PM

I am with you about Steam and can't see any negatives to running WGT on it. Additionally, it is very possible that it will be the only way to play WGT before too very long.

You and I both know the Steam client is a free install and that WGT is free there too, but don't know that others know that. This might be one problem with many not even looking at it.

• gillian5048
    154 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2020 8:08 AM

it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks; I think it's just that folks are familiar and comfortable with the old WGY; there is inertia to change; only as we approach December 29th will some folks change; my friend and I have been playing the Streaming version for about a month now; yes it's different; yes it is a version that doesn't yet haVE all the features the old version has; however they are (or seem to be) activily developing the Stream version; so gradually hopefuly folks will give it a try; I like it overall

• taz01
    287 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2020 11:14 AM

I use and pay for team speak for my Country Club. I saw that in your post that you said something about the nifty voice and text communication tools that came with the Steam package.

Are these tools available to use with WGT now or something you wish for?

If they are available now what do I need to do to make them active for my members?

Thank You,

Owner 

Moving Forward Country Club,

Danny  ( Taz01 )

• Slimjim001
    1,023 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2020 9:40 AM

If you have a Steam account and are launching from steam, yes, you can use the voice chat feature found on the Community Page. It will only work if the people you are playing are also launching from Steam.

RSS