Help › Forums

apparel on/off

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 7 2020 10:20 PM (70 replies)
  • Borat74
    2,789 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 12:43 PM

Hack

All you have to do is turn the damn thing off bud,i dont set a thing up now and if i do off the new PCEA version i switch it off,its a fair play thing for me,but if i play from an invite from mobile then we are both on a level player we dont get the choice to switch off the apparell(am i repeating myself is there anybody out there??) but for ALT Games i just dont set a game m8y as it saves time and luckily i get plenty of invites.

Paul

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 12:48 PM

Hack Wilson , are you trying to say the top titleist balls arnt better than the Callaways ? Because if you are , I don’t agree with you. For my game , it would be much improved with them , but as videos and surveys are very hit and miss , and I cannot spend real money , I play with what I can afford. However I wasn’t talking about who could or couldn’t afford the high end balls , merely that apparel is not the only part of the game that gives advantages to players. Of course , irons, woods , putter of course also allows an advantage. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 2:04 PM

The equipment that you mention are a part of the real game of golf. Manufacturers put a lot of time, effort and money into research and development to improve all of their equipment. The USGA sets standards for this equipment . 

If a ball is developed (call it a "magic ball" if you will) that is outside of these standards it can't be used in USGA events. Polara XD balls are non-conforming but they do play nicely. Kind of magic in that they don't want to hook or slice.

Should WGT allow non-conforming equipment to go along with "magic" hats? Should the Olympics allow PED's?  What standards are we going to ignore because we have "magic" that makes things easier? Should we allow a marathon runner to hop on a bus in the middle of a race, get off and run the last mile to claim victory? If so then let's give Rosie Ruiz  her victory.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 2:09 PM

I have followed this discussion through many different threads, different posters, and different objections. In all cases the arguments being made against apparel are somewhat circuitous. Distilling through all the various comments there are three main categories of objection - apparel enhancement is unfair, apparel enhancement is not traditional and not in keeping with the rules of golf, apparel enhancements have ruined the game because of added distance, meaning the courses have become “much shorter”. Taken together, these objections all suggest that the player who uses apparel is something of a cheat. I still to this day cannot fathom the logic behind this (and I am in no way trying to provoke an argument or prolonged conversation). Unless a player continues to use the starter clubs and balls originally provided to the player when he commenced playing this game, he is in fact trying to gain an advantage over his fellow players. If we were to follow the logic of these arguments every player would be playing exactly the same clubs and using the same golf balls. That would be kind of boring. If you extended these arguments into golf IRL, as some have done (“you can’t go to a pro shop and buy a hat and gain 5 yds”) then anyone who is playing with non hickory shafted clubs and feather stuffed leather balls would be in violation of the spirit of the game. Game improvements whether they be through acquiring more advanced equipment, or by winning items of apparel, or by a combination of the two are permitted under the rules of this game as promulgated by WGT. It is “legal”. Has the yardage the SE hat adds to the driver ruined the game? No more so then the Titleist TS3 driver or the Bridgestone golf balls. Every player of this game I am certain is familiar with the “problem” of iron loft creep that is being bantered about in USGA circles. The root question in that controversy is the same as the objection about apparel in this game. Does the fact that iron lofts have been increasingly decreased thereby adding distance to clubs (basically if you bought a new iron set today, the loft of your 5 iron would be somewhere between the loft of a 3 or 4 iron from a set of clubs manufactured 10 years ago) violate the rules or “spirit” of the game? The answer over the years has been consistently NO. So unless we all agree to go back to using just our starting gear or WGT amends the rules, there is no sound basis for objection. Apparel is an acceptable part of the game. It is not required or mandated. You can elect to use or not use apparel. If you don’t like it don’t use it. That is your decision to make. But that is not sufficient basis for being critical of the player who does. Just as there is no basis for criticizing an opponent who out performs you from the tee because his driver’s rated distance is 8 yds more than yours, I do not believe you can criticize a player for wearing an item of apparel that elevates the performance of his equipment. You can buy the same driver your opponent is using and you can acquire the same apparel worn by others if you so chose. If you elect not to, that is your decision and not the fault of the game or the other players.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 2:55 PM

It sounds to me like you are living in fantasy land , but then WGT is just a game ! 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 3:05 PM

HackWilson1930:
    The equipment that you mention are a part of the real game of golf

Newsflash. 

you aren't playing real golf.

you are clicking a mouse or tapping a screen all while watching a bar move across your screen.

Your most important golfing accessory is a calculator.

you probably aren't happy if you aren't breaking 60.

this whole idea that "real golf" doesn't have it so a video game should not is comical. you've accepted lots of differences already.

does adding +40  points to a hat for driver distance function any differently than buying a driver that has 6 more yards than your previous one?

bottom line you can accept it if it's pixels on a screen shaped like a ball or club but not if it's a hat or glove. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 5:30 PM

Granted, WGT is not real golf. The question, however, is whether WGT should or will evolve into a game played by wizards  or stay in the realm of Muggles.

So, are you a wizard or a Muggle?

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 9:41 PM

Leprechaun

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Nov 4 2020 11:30 PM

Cicero733:

I have followed this discussion through many different threads, different posters, and different objections. In all cases the arguments being made against apparel are somewhat circuitous. Distilling through all the various comments there are three main categories of objection - apparel enhancement is unfair, apparel enhancement is not traditional and not in keeping with the rules of golf, apparel enhancements have ruined the game because of added distance, meaning the courses have become “much shorter”. Taken together, these objections all suggest that the player who uses apparel is something of a cheat. I still to this day cannot fathom the logic behind this (and I am in no way trying to provoke an argument or prolonged conversation). Unless a player continues to use the starter clubs and balls originally provided to the player when he commenced playing this game, he is in fact trying to gain an advantage over his fellow players. If we were to follow the logic of these arguments every player would be playing exactly the same clubs and using the same golf balls. That would be kind of boring. If you extended these arguments into golf IRL, as some have done (“you can’t go to a pro shop and buy a hat and gain 5 yds”) then anyone who is playing with non hickory shafted clubs and feather stuffed leather balls would be in violation of the spirit of the game. Game improvements whether they be through acquiring more advanced equipment, or by winning items of apparel, or by a combination of the two are permitted under the rules of this game as promulgated by WGT. It is “legal”. Has the yardage the SE hat adds to the driver ruined the game? No more so then the Titleist TS3 driver or the Bridgestone golf balls. Every player of this game I am certain is familiar with the “problem” of iron loft creep that is being bantered about in USGA circles. The root question in that controversy is the same as the objection about apparel in this game. Does the fact that iron lofts have been increasingly decreased thereby adding distance to clubs (basically if you bought a new iron set today, the loft of your 5 iron would be somewhere between the loft of a 3 or 4 iron from a set of clubs manufactured 10 years ago) violate the rules or “spirit” of the game? The answer over the years has been consistently NO. So unless we all agree to go back to using just our starting gear or WGT amends the rules, there is no sound basis for objection. Apparel is an acceptable part of the game. It is not required or mandated. You can elect to use or not use apparel. If you don’t like it don’t use it. That is your decision to make. But that is not sufficient basis for being critical of the player who does. Just as there is no basis for criticizing an opponent who out performs you from the tee because his driver’s rated distance is 8 yds more than yours, I do not believe you can criticize a player for wearing an item of apparel that elevates the performance of his equipment. You can buy the same driver your opponent is using and you can acquire the same apparel worn by others if you so chose. If you elect not to, that is your decision and not the fault of the game or the other players.

Bravo, Cicero!  Reading through all that stream-of-consciousness screed, I counted 4 falsehoods, one error of omission, 3 straw mans, and one red herring.  That may have set a new record for a WGT Forum post.  Well done, sir.

I do agree with you that each player can elect to use apparel or not.  If you feel the need or desire to do so, go right ahead.  Whatever helps you enjoy your game the most.  Cheers.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Nov 5 2020 3:41 AM

SamSpayed:

Bravo, Cicero!  Reading through all that stream-of-consciousness screed, I counted 4 falsehoods, one error of omission, 3 straw mans, and one red herring.  That may have set a new record for a WGT Forum post.  Well done, sir.

I do agree with you that each player can elect to use apparel or not.  If you feel the need or desire to do so, go right ahead.  Whatever helps you enjoy your game the most.  Cheers.

I would loved to have read all that but with no paragraphs it was like 1 long sentence and it hurt my eyes and brain. Bravo to you Sam for being able to read it all. 

RSS