apparel on/off

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 7 2020 10:20 PM (70 replies)
  • JDGHOST
    6,774 Posts
    Fri, Oct 9 2020 7:47 PM

Cicero733:

Just so I understand....

The problem is not that a player gains additional yardage via a “purchase” through WGT. The problem is that a player achieves additional yardage by paying 100,000 coins for a hat as opposed to paying 5,700 credits for a club. So the issue is not the result but the means whereby the result is achieved meaning you would accept an additional yardage boost so long as it is not realized through apparel. Am I understanding this correctly? 

I NEVER said "Purchase" I said an incentive based platform in other words as you "Level" up maybe? So lets say for arguments sake a player reaches level 105 they might be eligible for small gains on current GOLF Equipment ...IE: little driver distance ....some spin on irons..... Maybe a "souped-up" golf cart(why not...Just as ludicrous as a hat that add's 10 yards)  or whatever it may be....

But I ONLY said that as an alternative....I think the entire Boost crap is just that !! Or if people want it fine but keep it in the meaningless games...IE: Coin rooms ,Clash rounds ..Turf wars...Any SINGLE player round (non ranked)  CTTH( Not for credits) ... But it has no business  in anything that is truly competitive  IE: WGT Tourneys, CC Tourneys,Match play and Skins FOR MONEY(credits) Etc....

Now I realize the boost's don't work in Tourneys at the moment ....I stress at the MOMENT...

But to each their own....I was just stating my "OPINION"

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2020 5:03 PM

@JD

I would actually agree with you that the equipment enhancing apparel is not necessarily good for the game or the "challenges" of playing without it.  it does make the game a bit comical - especially when it is predominantly being used on forward tees in the Veteran and Expert showdown divisions.  

With apparel, the back tees and maxed out driver etc... are no longer as challenging as it was without those enhancements and forward tees are really like playing "red tee" tournaments. 

That being said, I do believe, it is quite likely another reason we see apparel / coin rooms being utilized.  Tech companies / gaming creators focus on "micro-transaction" type incentives / changes that keep people playing or earning something. 

In the old days, I would say "level progression" served as a micro-type transaction because advancing through the levels, by playing and using ball hits is what unlocked the better equipment. It took months or years to work through the levels to unlock the better equipment.

Now - enhancing equipment through coin room sponsor sessions, serve as a means of keeping people playing / earning something they could not just go into the pro shop and buy because many people have already unlocked all the necessary levels to buy what they want or need... but WGT did need something to "lure" people into the coin rooms to enhance their equipment / clubs a bit more.

So, imho, sponsor apparel is just another layer of the micro-transactions tactic used by the gaming industry to keep people playing or earning something they could not earn in some other way. 

But this is just my opinion/observation based on what I have read about the tech industry and incorporating features that keep people playing.  

While I am not a big fan of it and would be content to see it go.  I go ahead and use it and just play a cheaper ball.  After all, the jacked up equipment allows you to save credits and play a much cheaper ball virtually just as if not equally well as the most expensive balls available.  So, it actually saves us money/ credits if the person chooses to learn an extra set of mapping notes when using apparel. 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2020 6:10 PM

Well, I am now seeing two different view points on apparel enhancements and I still can’t quite wrap my head around what the objection to apparel is. We all buy equipment items that have attributes that benefit the player - increased distance, forgiveness, etc. not certain I have seen anyone take exception to that aspect of the game. It is permissible under the rules of WGT meaning that everyone has the opportunity of taking advantage of those benefits. It is an equitable option. So does having a driver rated at 291 yds give an unfair advantage to the player who uses it against an opponent whose driver is only rated at 282 yds? Regardless of the attributes of the club, the tee position, whatever, if the player, with an apparel enhanced club, or an attribute maxed out club, does not properly calculate the shot and execute it correctly (“hit the ding”) whatever perceived advantage there may be is effectively eliminated. A ball hit 291 yds down the left side of the fairway that lands in the 40/50% rough offers no advantage to the ball hit 282 yds down the middle of the fairway. If the intent is to artificially level the playing field by eliminating perceived advantages then maybe for tournaments all payers should be required to use the exact same club and ball combination. Can’t say as I can see that realistically happening. Would be a fairly dull game if that became the norm. At present all I can see is that apparel is just one of several avenues available to a player to enhance his game play whether he elects performance enhancements through apparel benefits, either purchased or granted based upon seniority (which may not be a bad idea) or through higher level club or ball acquisitions. Kinda seems like a moot point to me right now.

• SamSpayed
    4,898 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2020 9:27 PM

Cicero733:
    Well, I am now seeing two different view points on apparel enhancements and I still can’t quite wrap my head around what the objection to apparel is. We all buy equipment items that have attributes that benefit the player - increased distance, forgiveness, etc. not certain I have seen anyone take exception to that aspect of the game.

I think the objection to apparel enhancements has to do with realism.  In real-world golf, the equipment companies spend a good deal of time and money developing balls and clubs with higher spin, more distance, better forgiveness on mishits, etc.  So having different equipment with different attributes makes sense.  It's realistic.

Nobody in the real-world golf or apparel industries makes a hat that adds more spin to your hybrid or a pair of pants that gives you more power coming out of the rough.  That's not realistic.  It's just something WGT concocted. 

It's not a question of fairness or leveling the playing field.  It's a question of how realistic it is.

• JDGHOST
    6,774 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 5:19 AM

SamSpayed:

I think the objection to apparel enhancements has to do with realism.  In real-world golf, the equipment companies spend a good deal of time and money developing balls and clubs with higher spin, more distance, better forgiveness on mishits, etc.  So having different equipment with different attributes makes sense.  It's realistic.

Nobody in the real-world golf or apparel industries makes a hat that adds more spin to your hybrid or a pair of pants that gives you more power coming out of the rough.  That's not realistic.  It's just something WGT concocted. 

It's not a question of fairness or leveling the playing field.  It's a question of how realistic it is.

Finally ....Someone who gets it !! WGT "Use to" pride itself on being the best and most "REALISTIC"  golf simulation game on the market....At least that's how a lot of us felt...

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 7:26 AM

people make mental adjustments to realism all the time in video games. 

are any of you that are complaining about realism swinging a bluetooth club or are you click a mouse or tapping a screen and trying to time a bar sliding across the screen. 

How many of you complain about a shot that goes 5 yards long because "the math" was right.

You're ok with buying a club that hits 291 yards over the starter club that hits 230 or whatever it is. or a club that magically spins the ball better. 

None of those things happen to any of the degree it happens in WGT.  Sure some clubs can give you TINY improvements anything else is the player.

i repeat. It's completely a mental attitude on what is acceptable because the math is the same.  no matter whether the boost is on a club, apparel or ball. You simply can't argue that. It's a fact. 

• SamSpayed
    4,898 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 12:08 PM

Mythanatos:
    It's completely a mental attitude on what is acceptable

Exactly.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 12:22 PM

yep, those who love apparel are no different than red tee champs who like easier playing conditions - and think it is good for the game.

let's just drive every green and putt for eagle or 2 putt birdie - that is a real skill builder.  lmao

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 2:38 PM

el3n1:

yep, those who love apparel are no different than red tee champs who like easier playing conditions - and think it is good for the game.

let's just drive every green and putt for eagle or 2 putt birdie - that is a real skill builder.  lmao

the skills developed/built  in this game have almost nothing to do with  whether or not someone wears apparel. If you really think that , then you're a fool.

scoring is generally a little better for each person regardless of skill level. In no instance does someone with medium skills that averages let's say 67 get into decked out apparel and suddenly they are shooting 59 and 60 averages. 

skills are

1)wind adjustments head/tails cross winds. differences based on yardages etc etc. 

2)knowing club distances

3)knowing various spins for all clubs and what they do.

4) How to play bunkers.

5)how to pitch/chip and/or flop around greens for scoring.

6) Course knowledge- landing spots. how wind behaves on that course. listed yardages vs how they are actually.

7)ability to read greens of all speeds. 

8)What  punch and full shots do for all clubs.

NONE of that has anything to do with apparel. 

The only exception i can think of is Rough power. You can wear enough to minimize the penalty and then you'd never learn how to adjust for rough %s.

So as i said at top. Very little if anything related to skill of the player.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2020 4:42 PM

You can make all the bullet points you like. 

I am pretty confident in believing apparel makes the game easier - I have observed it and experienced it.  There is no way it would be possible to play cheaper ball or even 10cr balls and shoot the scores people manage with apparel in heavy winds and champ greens.  Take off all that apparel and the scores would go up with those same balls, that is a given.

So, either you have more to learn, or you just choose to ignore the extent it impacts the game.  Actually - fact is - you have admitted in forums you feel apparel can help you score lower especially if you opt to use a superpass during a clash -- because it makes it easier!

Go ahead and ignore the fact you have made those claims as well.  

RSS