Forums

Help › Forums

Blender

Sun, Mar 17 2024 9:48 AM (63 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 2:20 AM

Is this a picture of a real hammer or is it a computer generated image?

EDIT : Redid hammer to make head/shaft joint a bit more beefy.

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 3:02 AM

Ask mike and frank from American Pickers .

Looks like a ball and pein . 2 or 3 pounder .

If it is straight out the box it might be real .

I have 4 or 5 up my attic if you want to do a job lot .

Hickory shaft's .

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 3:08 AM

Howdo Scott,

A real computer generated image of a hammer methinks.

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 3:09 AM

Reminds me of a story .

When i was a first year engineering apprentice i had to make a spirit level as a exam piece .

Took me a week . Knurled the brass on a lathe . It looked great .

But i had to go down woolworth's to buy the bubble .

They only had one left .

Back at work i laid the bubble on a bench turned around and it rolled off onto the ground and broke .

I was beside myself and never did finish that spirit level .

The next week we started building oil rigs .

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 5:18 AM

I'm thinkin' it's a cgi, iffin' ya looks at the taper on the shaft where it joins the head, to me , it seems one good blow would snap 'em apart.

Doc :)

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 6:02 AM

If it was real and a good make the maker's name would be on the shaft or the head .

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 6:08 AM

Thank you for your responses gents.  ; )

Yes, you are right, it is a CGI. But I made it myself and.... the program I used is free!!

Now, I'm not any kind of an artist, a stick man is about my level, so to create the hammer, I very carefully followed a youtube tutorial, but I'm still quite chuffed with the result.

My main reason for posting this is because I think this free program would be a great tool for making trophies, and I believe quite a few of you out there, Johnny for one, are very talented artistically, and could do some fantastic things with this software.

Anyway, the program is called Blender, and although it would require a fair bit of dedication to learn how to use it effectively, I believe it would be worth the time invested. Take a look...

Blender

Recommended system requirements

• 64-bit quad core CPU
    • 16 GB RAM
    • Full HD display
    • Three button mouse or pen+tablet
    • Graphics card with 4 GB RAM
    ...and I'll say it again, it is totally free!
  • craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 6:08 AM

If a sledge or hammer breaks, it is almost always the shaft/handle that is the culprit. 

How to properly re-handle your tool.

1. Cut off the existing shaft just below the head.

2. Drill a number of holes in the eye.

3. Tap out what is left and clean the eye.

4. Press and tap the head onto the new shaft, firmly but carefully. Cut off the protruding part of the shaft.

5. Fit the steel wedge so that the end of the shaft fills the eye. If the steel wedge is not sufficient, you should fit a wooden wedge before the steel wedge. You can make this by cutting a wedge from a dry piece of hard timber. Then split the end of the shaft using a chisel. Apply some wood glue, tap in the wooden wedge and then cut off the excess.

6. Tap the steel wedge out so that it locks the wooden wedge in position. Then apply oil to the end of the shaft to protect it against moisture.

• irzy
    1,358 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2020 7:50 AM

Real or fake.....heard this argument for years....but for men just a picture of them gets the same results :-)

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2020 4:33 AM

I guess I'm easily pleased but I'm kind of fascinated by the way Blender renders light and shadows. The monkey head in this image is one of Blenders built in objects for you to play around with. So I put a box with a light in it, underneath the monkey head (or Suzanne as Blender calls it?!) to get some cool lighting effects...

...monkeys have nothing to do with golf I know, but perhaps one day I might be able to make something that resembles a trophy, unless one of you gets there first!

RSS