Forums

Help › Forums

Ball choice

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 27 2020 2:02 PM (3 replies)
  • bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2020 8:30 AM

Hi all , I have been playing a long time , and am still searching for a good balance of ball to cost. I am a mobile only player and still do my apparel sponsorship in Chelsea , so decided to go back to starter ball in that room. I have to say , my ratio of wins to losses is better with starter than with my normal callaways 34 and 39s. When I play in high coin rooms I admit the titleists level 88 give me more confidence , but as a suggestion , I see no reason why we shouldn’t change our balls dependent on the matches we play. 
    I have been told the different meter speeds can mess with play and the different lengths also, but for me this new regime seems to work , and allow me to still play , using free credits only.

Any one have any thoughts on this , ? Thanks 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2020 11:32 AM

Interestingly enough, I think WGT has actually knowingly or unknowingly helped mobile and EA coin room players out in this regard.  Sponsor Apparel allows you to play a cheaper ball in coin rooms more competitively than you could do so without it.  

It just requires keeping an extra set of ball mapping notes.  

Dropping down to a free unlimited ball and back to your competitive ball without apparel in effect is a bit more than I like when going back and forth, and it can cause you to get "quick" unless you play warm up rounds or easily adjust your timing.  So I try to minimize that by just playing a cheaper ball that still has some meter speed.  If I can keep it within a range of 2 I don't feel it messes with my timing as much.  But I can't say it doesn't throw me off at times.  

Ideally you would want to always play the same meter speed, but I find it worth saving extra credits over the long haul by using less expensive balls when apparel is in effect.  

With cheaper balls, I also prefer to boost my iron distances as it also seems to improve the playability of lower end balls.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2020 1:33 PM

El3n1 thanks for your input , well thought out. I hadn’t taken into account the apparel effect , but that explains it ! 
    when I have been using the starter ball , I do normally play a couple of practice holes before going into a tourney or such , with the new ball , and find it helps.

I don’t have any mapping notes , so for me that isn’t an issue. Cheers stay safe  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Sep 27 2020 2:02 PM

Sounds good, looks like you are using a top golf shirt which is the same I use for playing coin games.  If you get curious about a lower end/ cheaper balls I may have some mapping notes on drop me a line.

RSS