• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Sep 11 2020 3:24 PM

JDGHOST:

craigswan:

Wgt is free if you want it .

Ask lonniescott and simon the beetle .

Both champions without spending .

I have spent  around 20 bucks in ten years .

1 - was gifted a full set of clubs on my way to tour master .

2 - spent 20 bucks on cleveland irons .

3 - was gifted driver by gift of golf foundation .

4 - been given a few dozen better balls but the free one's work great for me .

I'm not skint . Just never been in the mode of spending money on online games .

I also have reached Champion status without spending any of my own "Real Money" But that doesn't really mean it was "Free" ...I use to spend countless hours on surveys once I reached around 5000 credits or so I started playing matches and skins for credits and have been lucky enough to never zero out ....I was gifted a good set of Irons when I made legend (had starters all the way till then)

Irregardless  of how someone attains their equipment or balls SOMWHERE someone is spending good ol' fashion real money ...Whether is be my opponents in a skins game or a generous donor in the Gift of Golf Foundation ...

Now "Technically" it could be called a free golf game if you never upgrade your gear and play with those miniature cue' balls they call golf balls....But you will lose interest quite quickly ...

Now the new PGA2K21  THAT is a great FREE format ...From what I understand is yes ...you do pay an initial cost to get the game ...But after that you never spend money again for upgrades...You earn coins by just playing... Those coins you then use to upgrade your equipment (everyone plays the same ball) Surprisingly there is not even an option to "Purchase" coins for those that have very little patience?

Now to be clear.... I am getting this info from a friend who has just started on the 2K game a few days ago..  I have not looked into it yet ...And I stress "YET"....

JD

Yes, I paid $60 for the game and there are no other expenses. Balls are free and you buy clubs with coin you earn from tournaments. Tough game to master and you have realistic scoring.

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Fri, Sep 11 2020 4:56 PM

DonCaron:
    Yes, I paid $60 for the game and there are no other expenses. Balls are free and you buy clubs with coin you earn from tournaments. Tough game to master and you have realistic scoring.

Tell me how does the game "Look" and "Feel"? Is it as good good as WGT Flash which is more like golf simulation IMHO OR is it like the mickey mouse "Arcade" PCEA version ? 

Really interested to know.... at this time all I have seen is a video demo of the game hard to tell without really playing it?

JD

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 5:59 AM
    Hey JD. The gameplay is very very close to real golf, meaning there are not dart shot drives or woods...the ball keeps rolling like in real golf even if u play full back spin shots. There's no reference on the strokes, no ding. You can have 100 strokes and i can assure u that 99 of them will give a different outcome cause mouse movement cannot be 100% the same on every stroke you take. On the other hand, you can fade, pull your stokes with no problems. You have a variety of options and settings on every shot and of course no limitations to hit out of the rough or bunkers. The job that they have done is pretty pretty fine although everything is based on computer graphics (no real pics of the courses in it). There are several difficulty levels which make the game hard to master. On the downside, PC graphics require a fairly decent system to play meaning that many 15'' laptops with i3 won't handle it. Another thing that annoys me is the fact that there are not various cameras to change while you are playing alt or mps (same as the launcher) and of course the usual lack of a transparent window to chat with your friends (they use the same system as the launcher with opening and closing the chatbox). However and overall, i would give an 8,5 to the new game.
  • garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 6:24 AM

So Yiannis, are you saying that the graphics are better then what the trailer looked like.  To me it looked very cartoonish, especially the characters within the game(avatars I guess).

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 7:16 AM

JDGHOST:

DonCaron:

Tell me how does the game "Look" and "Feel"? Is it as good good as WGT Flash which is more like golf simulation IMHO OR is it like the mickey mouse "Arcade" PCEA version ? 

Really interested to know.... at this time all I have seen is a video demo of the game hard to tell without really playing it?

JD

The game looks fine for me. There are over 1,000 Courses available. I just setup Winged foot for Thursday's US Open. I will take a screenshot and send to you

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 7:18 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Hey JD. The gameplay is very very close to real golf, meaning there are not dart shot drives or woods...the ball keeps rolling like in real golf even if u play full back spin shots. There's no reference on the strokes, no ding. You can have 100 strokes and i can assure u that 99 of them will give a different outcome cause mouse movement cannot be 100% the same on every stroke you take. On the other hand, you can fade, pull your stokes with no problems. You have a variety of options and settings on every shot and of course no limitations to hit out of the rough or bunkers. The job that they have done is pretty pretty fine although everything is based on computer graphics (no real pics of the courses in it). There are several difficulty levels which make the game hard to master. On the downside, PC graphics require a fairly decent system to play meaning that many 15'' laptops with i3 won't handle it. Another thing that annoys me is the fact that there are not various cameras to change while you are playing alt or mps (same as the launcher) and of course the usual lack of a transparent window to chat with your friends (they use the same system as the launcher with opening and closing the chatbox). However and overall, i would give an 8,5 to the new game.

I use an XBox1 controller on mine. Works pretty well, if only the Golfer would do better.

I have a graphics card on my PC at home. I never needed it for WGT.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 8:59 AM

garyk49:

So Yiannis, are you saying that the graphics are better then what the trailer looked like.  To me it looked very cartoonish, especially the characters within the game(avatars I guess).

Judge for yourself Gary.

HVRGdjn

nbpBwkD

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 9:01 AM

DonCaron:

Yiannis1970:

I use an XBox1 controller on mine. Works pretty well, if only the Golfer would do better.

I have a graphics card on my PC at home. I never needed it for WGT.

WGT as a flash based game was very easy to run, yes.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sat, Sep 12 2020 11:07 AM

Maybe I am comparing it too much to the Flash version.  Compared to that it sucks almost as much as the Launcher version.  I think I am putting too much focus on the 2 kangaroos and the water the alligator is in.  This emachine has a dual core running win7 with a gtx570 gpu.  I just took a look at it using a custom built I have running win10 a 8th gen i5 with a gtx1060 in it and I still see the same roos and water, and that doesn't look natural.  But compared to the Launcher it is better.

RSS