Forums

Help › Forums

30-40; 40-50 lies

Mon, Dec 11 2023 3:10 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2020 9:14 AM

Hi.  What is a general rule for hitting out of these lies?  1 club more for the first and two clubs more from the second?  Or do you add a percentage of the normal yardage to the total?  I am getting somewhat inconsistent results from the 1 or 2 clubs more.  I wonder how other people deal with the situation.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2020 10:36 AM

NickolasMagos:
    What is a general rule for hitting out of these lies?  1 club more for the first and two clubs more from the second?  Or do you add a percentage of the normal yardage to the total? 

Every situation is different.  A lot depends on how much fairway (and/or green) you have to play with and what obstacles or hills may be in the way.  The higher the lie % (30-40 or 40-50 for example), the less distance your ball will carry in the air and the more it will roll once it lands.

For a "general" rule, I add about ½ of the lower lie % to my shot to start with.  For example, for 30-40 rough I'll add about 15% to my shot and for 40-50 rough I'll add about 20% to my shot to start with.  That usually means going up a club or two... sometimes more, sometimes less... again, it depends on the landing area and any obstacles you may have to clear.

You can also try a punch shot rather than a full shot.  A punch shot will not carry as far in the air, but will roll a lot more.

Hope this helps.  Play with it and see what you think.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2020 10:58 AM

I'm reluctant to play woods from 40-50 lies. Iron punches ruL3z!

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2020 11:42 AM

Up to 25-30 I use any club.  Above that I avoid woods and only use a hybrid if I need that extra distance and high ball flight.  When I reach 60-70 I look for the nearest route to the fairway and use a lob wedge or sand wedge.  Punched wedges usually go a bit further from awful lies.

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2020 11:53 AM

Thanks.  Was not aware of the half the lower lie rule.  Yes the ball flight tends to be low with lots of roll.

• AlaskanDame
    18,872 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2020 10:04 PM

I figure a punch from 30/40 will go the stated distance of the club.  

For a full shot from 30/40 (if you need a high shot), I subtract 10% from stated club distance, e.g. a 50 yard full will go about 45 yards and a 200-yard iron will go about 180.  

From 40/50, I double that and subtract 20%.  So, a 200-yard iron will go about 160. 

The above does NOT apply to pitch shots from rough around the greens.   

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2020 11:56 AM

SamSpayed:

NickolasMagos:
    What is a general rule for hitting out of these lies?  1 club more for the first and two clubs more from the second?  Or do you add a percentage of the normal yardage to the total? 

Every situation is different.  A lot depends on how much fairway (and/or green) you have to play with and what obstacles or hills may be in the way.  The higher the lie % (30-40 or 40-50 for example), the less distance your ball will carry in the air and the more it will roll once it lands.

For a "general" rule, I add about ½ of the lower lie % to my shot to start with.  For example, for 30-40 rough I'll add about 15% to my shot and for 40-50 rough I'll add about 20% to my shot to start with.  That usually means going up a club or two... sometimes more, sometimes less... again, it depends on the landing area and any obstacles you may have to clear.

You can also try a punch shot rather than a full shot.  A punch shot will not carry as far in the air, but will roll a lot more.

Hope this helps.  Play with it and see what you think.

+1

This would have been my reply as well.

Brett

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2020 4:30 PM

alosso:

I'm reluctant to play woods from 40-50 lies. Iron punches ruL3z!

I agree alosso, I use an iron and punch out in 40% Rough. I have rolled up on the green many times from way out.

Really depends on the shot, but I always use an iron

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2020 11:59 PM

This forum post has a link which  was created by WalkOfLife that offers the ability to use a Punch 50 out of various lies. Keep in mind to look at the colors of each number and which spin they represent, as well as the 40/50 punch will almost always release. 

https://www.wgt.com/forums/t/403805.aspx

Cheers,

BABZ

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Fri, Sep 11 2020 2:47 AM

This post is golden.  I am landing my 30-40 and 40-50 shots within 10 yards of the pin reliably well.  What about the 25-30 lies?  A 12 percent deduction for those as well?  Usually its the first cut of rough.

Is there a way to upvote your post?  I would love to!

• PAGES
RSS